Home
Posted By: AKNHNTR Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/20/11
Wondering if there are many people out there hunting with a the Savage 99? In any caliber for what every critter. And how is yours set-up, scope, peep sight.....?

Recently I found a good, 1958 vinatage, Savage 99 in .300 Savage. It now wears a nice ol' Lyman 57SA peep sight. Can't wait to get it sighted in then take it out chasing deer & hogs!

It will be loaded with the Remington 180 grn round nose cor-lokt ammo (recently discontinued). Used a rifle / ammo set up like this to take my first bull moose in Alaska when I was about 12 years old!

So what do you have??
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/20/11
I use an early 50's Savage 99EG in 300 Savage with a Leupold M8 4x with Weaver tip mounts. Been using 180 grain corelokts. Gun seems to like about anything I feed it. Good luck.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/20/11
I have a "few" Savage 99's that get into the woods quite a bit. By preference, most are scoped....but are mounted in the old Weaver Swing-mounts that allow instant use of iron sights if needed (desired).

I do have one with a tang peep sight in .30-30 that is used for brush hunting at times and the peep works just fine. I hunt mostly deer and hogs and depending on my mood that day the caliber of choice may be .300 Savage, .308, .358 and even occationally a .243. The .308 and .358 are my normal choice for any game larger than deer size.

The sentamental favorite in the gun room is a .250-3000 that has taken deer for 4 generations of my family.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/20/11
Came across a good deal on a M99 in 300 Savage about a year ago. Put an old Redfield 2 3/4X ccope on it. 1st group with factory Remington 150gr was less than MOA! Had some old 150gr Ballistic Tips on the shelf; picked a light load of 4064 and took her hunting last year. Dropped a mature buck in his tracks. Hoping to encounter a sounder of hogs this fall. Fun gun!
Posted By: ShootDogs Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/20/11
This year I got a 1940s EG in .300 Savage. It's not drilled, so I'll hunt it with open sights. Haven't had time to get a good load for it and sight it in, so it'll probably sit at home this year, but a some point, it'll go out after deer.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/20/11
hunt with a 99 every year... all sort of configurations... open sights, tang sights, stith mounted scopes, factory scoped. Actually not sure if I have ever hunted with one with a tang sight though no reason not too at all... planning to soon as I am planning to take an early SRC buffalo hunting with a tang sight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: test1328 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/20/11
I have a mid 50's 99EG in .300 Savage that is not drilled and that I put a period correct Marbles tang sight on after removing the rear sight. I've hunted deer a few times with it but never killed anything with it yet. One of these days I will.
Posted By: hatari Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/20/11
The 99 likes to travel. Been to Canada, Argentina, but it really liked Africa:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: roundoak Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/20/11
I hunt with a 99 every year. This 99A has always been scoped and gets carried the most. Scope is 1x4 Leupold.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: domit Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/20/11
1910 savage 99 in 3030. took a few texas deer, 1 hog and going to canada this october for larger deer. hornady leaverlution 160 gr. shoots really nice.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/20/11
I didn't even know you could scope them....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ron_T Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/21/11
I've hunted whitetails with my pristine 1953 Model 99EG for a good many years. I reload Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets in front of 40.8 grains of H4895 sparked by standard Winchester large rifle primers in Winchester cartridge cases.

This combination gives me a chronographed muzzle velocity of 2635 fps with a deviation of only 3 fps (+1/-2 fps) and shoots into less than an inch (3 shot groups) at 100 yards.

This is a very accurate load and .1 of a grain less than the MAXIMUM load. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/21/11
Ron T, what bullet weight?

Wayne
Posted By: krp Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/21/11
I bought a 99 while a senior in highschool with my ranching money... was a hundred bucks used and had a redfield wide angle scope... in .308

I killed my first and also many deer with it... after getting into archery in my late twenties, it sat. Later, when my daughter was still young, she wanted a special Bday gift, it was out of our budget... I looked at that old gun, put in the paper for 175.00 and the phone wouldn't quit ringing, it sold to the first guy that ran over, no haggling... lol...

Of course, the older I got the more I regretted that impulse sale.

Last year, Enrique had an old 99 in 308 he needed to sell, to purchase a 7mm... well, he made me a good deal and I used that gun to take a cow elk last fall, had that same daughter accompany me on that hunt... It was like an old friend returned.

I put an old weaver 3X post and crosshair on it, I had laying around... would love to find a peep for it, maybe one of these days.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kent
Posted By: mudhen Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/21/11
Lovely lady and a nice rifle! Where are these deals when I need one?
Originally Posted by britdel
Wondering if there are many people out there hunting with a the Savage 99? In any caliber for what every critter. And how is yours set-up, scope, peep sight.....?

Recently I found a good, 1958 vinatage, Savage 99 in .300 Savage. It now wears a nice ol' Lyman 57SA peep sight. Can't wait to get it sighted in then take it out chasing deer & hogs!

It will be loaded with the Remington 180 grn round nose cor-lokt ammo (recently discontinued). Used a rifle / ammo set up like this to take my first bull moose in Alaska when I was about 12 years old!

So what do you have??

Each year my wife and I make a trip to Anticosti Island and each year I take two different 99's this year my rifles will be a 99K in .300 Savage, and a 99EG in .308 Win. Here is a pic of the K.

[Linked Image]

And here is the EG

[Linked Image]
Every deer(around 30+) I have taken since I was twelve has been with a 99, mostly an old rat 300 savage(love that gun)a 30-30 and recently a few with a 308. There were a few I shot in NY with a shotgun, but just a handful, the rest with the old lever action. I bought a fancy bolt action 7 mag a few years ago to hunt elk, got a shot at a running bull through the dark timber less than 80 yds and blew it. I Knew I would have punched a few holes in him with my savage, and when I got home I sold the gun and bought my 99C in 308. Haven't got a chance to take it out west with me yet, but next year is probably the year. This fall heading to NW Ontario to see if the old 99's work on the bigger bucks there, not too worried.
Posted By: TomS Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/23/11
99C .308 3x9 scope 130grn TTSX and I'm good to go - for deer and antelopes
Posted By: Dale K Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/24/11
Brush Gun in 358 wearing a Weaver K4W scope in standard Weaver rings. First rifle I ever bought after I turned 18. Deer, black bear (when I go) and will go for elk if I ever go for elk.

Dale
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/24/11
I have (2) Savage 99s and (2) Savage 1899s that I use. They are my favorite guns to hunt with.

I have all 4 of the savage rounds.

.303 Sav
[Linked Image]

.300 Sav (no gun in pic, but this mulie had a date with it)
[Linked Image]

.250-3000
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
and finally a 22 hi-Power that as yet has only killed bunnies
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/24/11
Gotten a few, most with a 1945 99EG in 300 but also blooded a 99T in 300 and a old rebarreled 1899 in 250-3000.

Taking out a 1899 made in 1901 chambered in 303 for doe season next weekend, also dragging along another in 250-3000. Putting a Weaver K4 on the 303 right now.

Bottom one is the 303 I'm scoping.

[Linked Image]

Couple of my EG..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: VernAK Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/24/11
I've got a nice EG in 308 but don't use it because of the terrible trigger pull. Probably should get rid of it.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/24/11
VernAK, I volunteer to remove that burden. grin
Posted By: VernAK Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/24/11
Calhoun,

Stop by with check for $750.....I'm not at home dawn nor dusk as I'm trying to shoot a few birds to put in the freezer with my dall sheep and moose.
Originally Posted by VernAK
I've got a nice EG in 308 but don't use it because of the terrible trigger pull. Probably should get rid of it.

You have a PM................ smile
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/28/11
All we have around here is whitetails, but they're so thick they're practically a nuisance. I hunt them with a 1956 pre-mil 99F in .300 Savage. It was factory d&t'd so I went modern and scoped it with a Leopold VXIII 1.5-5x in Leupold rings. The whole rig weighs around 7 lb., so toting it up and down the ridges is not difficult.
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/29/11
Originally Posted by AKNHNTR
And how is yours set-up, scope, peep sight.....?

When I was a kid I sometimes hunted with my uncle's M99 300 Savage. It was set up with a 4x Bushnell Scope Chief. It was a cool scope that had a retractable heavy post, the broad post reticle went up and down by turning a dial on the scope. It also had a red rubber recoil pad and leather sling. It wasn't much to look at as he had bought it in "very used" condition in 1948, but it had a real good feeling trigger and it was accurate enough to hit beer cans at 200 yards from a rest. He used Remington or Peters 150 bronze point ammo.
Posted By: gulo Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/11/12
I hunt with 3 99's, all .300's, handloads. I have 2 EG's, one a '50, the other a '54, first with open sights second with Redfield peep. These i use for whitetail in the big woods.

I call coyotes and use my '53 model R with a Lyman peep. It's an accurate gun with the peep. This year i mounted a scope (getting serious about more 'yotes) but haven't hunted it yet. Now that i put it on, i'm leaning towards the idea that i don't need the scope - i haven't yet. I don't think i've ever shot anything further than 100 yards, and the peeps work just fine for this range. I find scopes cumbersome in the woods and my personal feeling is they totally ruin the aesthetic of a .99 - they look like a sore thumb on these guns, although i realize many don't care about this, (but on the other hand, i doubt if anyone who has a 99 isn't interested in the aesthetics - otherwise there are plastic guns that will do the job as well or better wink I'm a still hunter anyway (except for coyotes.) I sight my deer rifles in at 50 yards. 100 yards is a long way in the woods, and i've yet to spot a deer that wasn't inside 50 - often closer - you certainly don't need a scope for that.

An old 1949 article reprint in Sports Afield (current issue)Whelen considers the .300 Savage "entirely satisfactory for all game up to about 150 or 200 yards." (The game he's considering is "grizzly and black bear, moose, elk, caribou, mule deer, sheep, goat and wolves.")
Posted By: Boyd45 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/22/12
99 in .308 with a 2X7 Redfield scope and a lace on pad so my eye actually lines up w/ the scope. Has yet to be blooded but accurate and cool. I was stopped by a game warden 4 years ago who did not know what it was. WTF?
Posted By: viking Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/22/12
250-3000 for me, I believe it is the R model. It wears a Burris 1.5 x 6?. It has been along time since I had it out of the safe.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/22/12
Why the hell did Savage ever discontinue the Model 99?????
Originally Posted by Gravestone

Way too expensive to produce with all that hand fitting. Rumors say Savage is thinking of reintroducing an improved model with CAD/CAM design, but I doubt it would sell if it didn't look and act like the old model. Remember what happened to the Winchester Model 70 in 1964 when Winchester tried to "modernize" it?
Posted By: BillR Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/22/12
I think Savage discontinued the 99 in two steps. They first messed up badly when they switched to the last version with tang safety and lower quality parts/cheaper looking wood.
Those who loved the older models didn't buy the newer version in sufficient numbers.
At the same time newer shooters/hunters were convinced they neeeded a bolt action magnum to take deer at 400 yards.
Sales dropped below profit point for the 99 and it was a business decision to drop it entirely.
Production/machining costs would make the return of a quality 99 prohibitive so enjoy the ones you own.
BillR
Posted By: southwind Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/22/12
Grand dads 99

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/22/12
spike buff...Saddle Ring Carbine in 38-55

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stickbow Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/22/12
Nice pics, I have a 1924' vintage 250-3000 with a williams peep sight that may just get the nod here this season.
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/22/12
I really wish Barnes would start loading their 130 TTSX at 2850-2900 for the .300 S.

Expat
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/23/12
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/23/12
Originally Posted by southwind
Grand dads 99
[Linked Image]

LOVE that pict!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Rogue Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/23/12
I be dragging the 250-3000 EG around starting next Saturday for blacktail. Have to say I'm looking forward to it.
Posted By: Polecat Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/23/12
I know this is a big game forum but this is the 99 I have the most fun with.
[Linked Image]
It's a 1899H in savage 22HP with a Marbles tang sight, shooting cast bullets loaded down to about 22 mag velocities.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/23/12
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Way too expensive to produce with all that hand fitting. Rumors say Savage is thinking of reintroducing an improved model with CAD/CAM design, but I doubt it would sell if it didn't look and act like the old model. Remember what happened to the Winchester Model 70 in 1964 when Winchester tried to "modernize" it?

I'm not opposed to paying extra for a product of quality even if it means doing without until i save up enough to buy it.
I think most people,especially when it comes to purchasing something for their "passion" are willing to pay extra.
Posted By: c86man3 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/23/12
I inherited my grandfather's 250-3000 in 2001. I have only taken it on one big game hunt. I got this antelope in 2008 I believe.

It has also taken some coyotes.

[Linked Image]
25-35 made in 1911[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

250-3000
The "K" seen earlier in this thread is going hunting again this year. It will be in the company of this "F" t/d. Right now the "F" is wearing a Lyman P&CH scope. I made a modification to the back ring. If it works for me there will be a Leupold sitting on her this evening.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mr_Saw Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/24/12
[Linked Image]
1899A Short rifle .30-30, 130gr Speer HotCor dropped this charging woodchuck at 40 paces. I could smell his hot breath and see the saliva dripping off his nasty pointy teeth!
Posted By: viking Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/24/12
I wish Barnes would make an tsx that would work with the 1/14 twist!
Posted By: bubba15301 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/25/12
i will be using a 99 in .22 sav hipower this year ,as i have done for the last 20 years
Posted By: sbabcock Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/25/12
[Linked Image]

.308 Model 99

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kenster99 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/25/12
[Linked Image]
savage 1899 in 30-30
[Linked Image]
Savage eg in 250-3000
[Linked Image]
Savage 99 308 featherweight
[Linked Image]
308 featherweight again
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
99 eg in 250
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c102/kenster99/HPIM0229.jpg[/img]
Savage99 eg in 300
A savage1899 in 250-3000 was my first deer rifle I got when I was 12 yrs old. Killed my first buck with it the same year. Still own it today, and it has taken seveal others over the years. Also have taken game with some of the other calibers in the Savages. They will always be one of my favorite classic rifles for hunting!
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/25/12
I,'ve hunted with a 99F in 358 Win for years and my nephew uses my 99A in 243 Win. we both have killed whitetail deer with them.
Originally Posted by sbabcock
[Linked Image]

.308 Model 99

What kind of range were you at? And how did the bear react to the hit? First I've seen someone shoot and post about a bear hunt where they used a 308. Don't get me wrong, don't see why it wouldn't work being as its basically a 3006, but was just wondering as this is the first I've seen it on here.

God Bless,

MM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/25/12
These two coastal blacktail bucks were felled within moments of each other. .308 is a keeper!

TR

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
The "K" seen earlier in this thread is going hunting again this year. It will be in the company of this "F" t/d. Right now the "F" is wearing a Lyman P&CH scope. I made a modification to the back ring. If it works for me there will be a Leupold sitting on her this evening.

[Linked Image]

And here it is with the Leupold. It's bore sighted. Now all I need to do is shoot it to see if it will maintain zero consistently.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stickbow Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/25/12
Originally Posted by viking
I wish Barnes would make an tsx that would work with the 1/14 twist!

+1000 an 85-90 grain
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/25/12
It would have to be a 70 or 75.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/26/12

Savage lost money on each one they sold. If Savage were to redesign the 99 it could be built using modern computerized manufacturing. However... then they would be in the market competing again the million plus Savage 99's already out there.

It makes no business sense to compete with yourself in the marketplace.

We'll just enjoy our old Savage 99's

BTW: My bet for what is sold today that will be a Classic in the future is the CZ 550 rifle
Posted By: Texas99 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/26/12
I have a 1952 .300 Savage EG, and love it. Have killed a couple of deer and a bunch of hogs with it. Working up a load with the 130 gr TTSX for it's turn in the rotation this season.
Posted By: gulo Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/26/12
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

Savage lost money on each one they sold. If Savage were to redesign the 99 it could be built using modern computerized manufacturing. However... then they would be in the market competing again the million plus Savage 99's already out there.

I think it would sell if they did it as a special edition, pre-mil quality with really choice walnut and maybe a little engraving. Then they might be able to charge whatever they wanted - there are quite a few folks out there paying lots of money for guns.

Of course, in these economic times you'd not want to be wrong. Savage has been in trouble before. I'm sure that factors in.

Any guesses as to how much they'd have to charge?
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/26/12
Originally Posted by bubba15301
i will be using a 99 in .22 sav hipower this year ,as i have done for the last 20 years

Wow! That is cool! Would love to see some pictures... not too many ppl hunt the 22HP! You reload for it?

In general, I think its cool to see how many hunt with a 99 regularly as I figured most on here that did were regulars in the Savage Collectors forum.

Good luck to all that will be touting a Savage 99 this fall/winter!
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/26/12
Originally Posted by gulo
Originally Posted by idahoguy101

I think it would sell if they did it as a special edition, pre-mil quality with really choice walnut and maybe a little engraving. Then they might be able to charge whatever they wanted - there are quite a few folks out there paying lots of money for guns.

Of course, in these economic times you'd not want to be wrong. Savage has been in trouble before. I'm sure that factors in.

Any guesses as to how much they'd have to charge?

I empathize with you but it I'd be shocked if it happened. Perhaps if Savage ever has a Custom Shop?
Posted By: bubba15301 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/28/12
Originally Posted by lovemy99
Originally Posted by bubba15301

Wow! That is cool! Would love to see some pictures... not too many ppl hunt the 22HP! You reload for it?

In general, I think its cool to see how many hunt with a 99 regularly as I figured most on here that did were regulars in the Savage Collectors forum.

Good luck to all that will be touting a Savage 99 this fall/winter!
yes i load for it i use 30/30 brass. i traded a 30/30 marlin for it because he couldnt find ammo for it
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 09/29/12
Great pics and stories.

A 1948 EG in 300SAV. Hard to improve on that, really, particularly on foot in woodlands. Found previous owner's business card in the stock bolt hole, gentleman from Pennsylvania.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtnhome Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/03/12
Have had this EG 250-3000 in the safe for awhile. Bought a Williams FP off eBay and picked up a box of Remington 100gr and a box of W-W 87 gr(NOS) at a gunshop up where I'm working in NE Wyoming. The Remington wouldn't shoot better than 3" but the Win 87gr shot just over an inch. Wish I could find a few more boxes. Bought a leftover antelope doe tag since I'm a non-resident. Haven't hunted or eaten antelope since moving to Colorado.
Got this doe last night at about 100-125 yards with the 87 grain. Must have hit a rib or just blew up since you can see the entry wound and there was no exit. Destroyed the lungs. No damage to the backstraps or shoulder so should be good eating.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BruinPoint Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/04/12
[Linked Image]
He's just a little guy, but accomplished my goal of three generations of deer hunters taking a buck with this Model 99 .300 Savage.
Posted By: ChipM Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/04/12
To all that have posted, great photos and guns. I enjoyed the entire 7 pages. Me, I am not a Savage 99 guy as I was raised with Marlin leverguns but do understand your passion for them. After going through this would not mind picking one up and giving it a workout.
Posted By: gulo Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/04/12
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Great pics and stories.

A 1948 EG in 300SAV. Hard to improve on that, really, particularly on foot in woodlands. Found previous owner's business card in the stock bolt hole, gentleman from Pennsylvania.

[Linked Image]

Nice EG. Looks like some interesting grain in the stock. (I like your quote about freedom, by the way... you might add that while it tastes like chicken, it's deader than a Dodo. Except, I sincerrely hope, in our minds... cheers.)
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/05/12
Well I got a 99R in 358 all sighted in the other day in preparation for a BC moose hunt next week... can't wait...
Well I got a 99R in 358 all sighted in the other day in preparation for a BC moose hunt next week... can't wait...

Moose hunting.............................Doesn't get any better than that. Best of luck. smile

Have fun Drew.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/05/12

That definitely requires some pics to be brought back. Good luck!

Gotta keep this thread going.. 2010:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/06/12
Originally Posted by Longbeardking

Moose hunting.............................Doesn't get any better than that. Best of luck. smile

Thanks! I'm pretty excited! Might take another one or two 99s as "back-up" (and admittedly, I am taking a custom LH 700 in 300 Wby)... I also have a black bear, mule deer, and wolf tag... not expecting anything, hoping to shoot a moose. Compared to the overall costs, the tags are just cheap insurance that if an opportunity presents itself, I have what I need.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/06/12
From this morning using a 99K in 300 Savage. Gotta love them old ones..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/07/12
not many ppl hunting with engraved 99s, congrats Jim!
Posted By: sbabcock Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/07/12
First shot was about 35 yards maybe. Not sure. Bear didn't appreciate it. Typical reaction it turned and bit at the wound. Second shot hit the shoulder and it died.
My kid was 15 on this hunt and was his third bear I think.
27 year old, 7' 7"
Bullet was a 180 grain silvertip
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/09/12
not many ppl hunting with engraved 99s, congrats Jim!

I can think of one other crazy guy that would do it..... wink

Good luck with the moose hunt Drew and Calhoun said, pics are in order.
I thought i'd drag up this thread, because I just bought a 99. I've been looking around for a .243 for deer and coyotes. Maybe elk, but i'm not sure about that.

I've always wanted a 99, but got stuck on my Winchester 94 all these years. When my gunsmith said he had a 99 in .243 my ears perked up. I wen t to look at it this morning, and feel in love with it on first sight. It fits me perfect, and it has nice looking wood. I'm a fan of all classic guns, and I should have bought one of these years ago.

I'm not sure what I have. It has a Monte Carlo stock with what looks like a factory recoil pad. The safety is by the trigger. I don't see one like it in this thread. What do I have?
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/22/12
Mauser, I'll PM ya.
Got it. Thanks.
Posted By: tipmover Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/22/12
My first trip into the field with a Savage 99.
99F in 300 Savage.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 11/21/12

Nice, what caliber?

Originally Posted by hatari
The 99 likes to travel. Been to Canada, Argentina, but it really liked Africa:

[Linked Image]
Wow, it doesn't get anymore American than that.

Great thread!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by sbabcock
First shot was about 35 yards maybe. Not sure. Bear didn't appreciate it. Typical reaction it turned and bit at the wound. Second shot hit the shoulder and it died.
My kid was 15 on this hunt and was his third bear I think.
27 year old, 7' 7"
Bullet was a 180 grain silvertip
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did he stalk it to 35 yds, or stumble onto him?
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 11/21/12
Most of 'em shoot like this 375 winchester caliber 99 w/group-
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I'll spare you all the details. The details and other pictures are all posted over on the Savage collectors forum.

Anticosti was consistent again this year for both my wife and me.

This is my 99K and a "not too awful bad" 7 pointer that met his fate by a .300 Savage.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 12/10/12
love the story's and pics didn't draw out this hoping for next year! savage 99's rule!!!
Posted By: sbabcock Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/11/15
Barkoff asked

"Did he stalk it to 35 yds, or stumble onto him?"

Dredge up a 3 year old question just because I'm not all that punctual.
That one was spotted from a couple miles away. Did stalk the bear to within 35 yards. I was next to him with my .300 Weatherby but wanted to let him kill the bear with the .308

Anyway. He's killed a few more since that bear. Here is one that I decided to have a rug made for a Christmas present for him. Another 7 1/2 ft. Seward Peninsula grizzly killed in the spring.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: hclark Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/11/15
Great thread...I missed it first time around...so lets keep it going....
35/30-30--200 gr Rem Core Lokt
[Linked Image]

303--190 gr Win factory Silver Tip
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/11/15
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

I'm not opposed to paying extra for a product of quality even if it means doing without until i save up enough to buy it.
I think most people,especially when it comes to purchasing something for their "passion" are willing to pay extra.

Talked with a Savage rep at Harrisburg show last year. He said that when they calculated cost of a new 99 they'd have to sell it for over $1500 for a standard factory grade rifle, and couldn't see any market at that price range.

Seven of us in my hunting club have 11 model 99s between us:
2 30/30s
5 300 Savages
3 .308s
1 .358
Posted By: JeffG Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/11/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 300Savage Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/11/15
I hunt almost exclusively with Savage 99's My favorite is a 1955 99F in 300 Savage with a Weaver 2.5X scope. It has killed more deer than I can remember. I also have a 1925 1899 in 303 Savage, 1917 1899 in 22 Hi Power. I have killed deer with all those rifles. Finally I have a 1939 99K in 300 Savage that I have not connected with a deer yet, maybe this year. I also have a couple of bolt action Savages in 250-3000 that have killed deer at considerable distance for Michigan hunting. They are my long distance shooting weapons. I love Savage rifles.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/11/15
I used to have a 99E in .308. It was very accurate but I could only get 2 shots from a case before they separated. The headspace was good but apparently there was something that moved allowing the cases to stretch.
Posted By: 79inpa Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/11/15
how much is a savage 99 in 284 Winchester worth. It's in 85 percent shape.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/11/15
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I used to have a 99E in .308. It was very accurate but I could only get 2 shots from a case before they separated. The headspace was good but apparently there was something that moved allowing the cases to stretch.

You have made 28,000 posts and that's what you have to say about head space and hand loading!

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/case-head-separation-cause-diagnosis/

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/11/15
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

You have made 28,000 posts and that's what you have to say about head space and hand loading!

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/case-head-separation-cause-diagnosis/

[Linked Image]

I knew exactly WHAT it was doing but I didn't know WHY. The gun had a problem in that it wasn't supporting the case properly and allowed excessive stretch. 2 shots/case isn't normal.
Have only one.. Sold my .300 Savage, and .358 Win. Kept the .250 because it belonged to my father in law.. Liked the caliber I sold.. I may replace them with a bolt action.. But as a life long bolt action guy, the 99 just didn't fit me that well.. But they are a fine rifle..
Posted By: erich Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/12/15
I had a Savage 99 in 308 that someone cut the barrel to 16 1/2". I mounted a Weaver K-1.5 on it and it was brutally efficient stalking/tracking Whitetails in NW WI. One season I loaned it to my nephew and told him if he got a deer with it , it was his. It's still killing deer back there.

Another great one was an old timer that had been rebarreled with a Springfield 03 barrel. It was insanely accurate rivaling a bolt action varmint rig. It had been looted from a home after a tornado and was returned to the original owner.

So I'm down to a 99 in 375 Win and again equipped with a Weaver K-1.5 and doubt it will ever find a new home while I can still hunt.
[Linked Image]

.300 takedown with custom bases and Leupold QD rings.

Shoots like a varmint/benchrest gun.

Mike
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/12/15
Savage what? Never heard of it.
Yeah, those 99's are junk. Plain and simple. But being the nice guy that I am, I'll save all yous guys the heartbreak of being stuck with 'em by buying them off you. Cheap. I can't afford much, as there's so many of you to save from the scourge that is owning a 99.

You can thank me later. The pleasure is all yours.

Seriously now, I've been addicted to 99's my whole life. Dad carried a 99, and shot a lot of deer with it over they years. He bought his brand new on the day my older brother was born. Took out a loan on it and treated himself to a new rifle. Had Mom known about this, I'm sure there'd have been h3ll to pay, as they were not exactly living in the lap of luxury. When we cleaned out the house after Mom and Dad died, lo and behold, there were the payment stubs for the 99. All neatly written on a ledger, from back in the days before computers and such stuff.

I've had the venerable 99 in .250, 300, and .303. I'm down to a EG chambered for .300 now. Of course it wears an old period-correct K-4 Weaver. Deer don't seem to like it very much. Nice to read all the 99 stories here guys. It's a great gun.
Posted By: 1tnhunter Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/13/15
I wish Savage would start production on the 99 again.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/13/15
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
I wish Savage would start production on the 99 again.

...check here
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/17/15
Almost snagged a 358 at the last Reno show, but I waited too long and it was gone when I returned.
Posted By: BGunn Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/17/15
'57 EG .308
2-7 Leupold
165gr Federal Fusion

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/21/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

99C in .308
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/23/15
I have a lovely 99 takedown in 300 Savage I bought from Gunner that shoots lights out with his reload recipe. This is at 200 yards:
[Linked Image]

A better picture:
[Linked Image]

It has developed a bad habit of the forearm coming off during recoil. Any suggestions?
Posted By: bea175 Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/23/15
The Savage 99 is a great hunting rifle as long as you don't trash it up with a scope , receiver sights or open is the only way to go with this lever classic. Scope on the 99 takes a Masterpiece and turns it into a Turd
Posted By: hatari Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/23/15
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Yeah, those 99's are junk. Plain and simple. But being the nice guy that I am, I'll save all yous guys the heartbreak of being stuck with 'em by buying them off you. Cheap. I can't afford much, as there's so many of you to save from the scourge that is owning a 99.

You can thank me later. The pleasure is all yours.

I like you guys so much, i'll go one better. I'll drive to your home and pick them to get that trash out of your gun safe to make room for a "real" rifles. 99s just aren't worth messing with. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: southwind Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 04/26/15
Grandpas 303
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Barkoff Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/17/22
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Gotten a few, most with a 1945 99EG in 300 but also blooded a 99T in 300 and a old rebarreled 1899 in 250-3000.

Taking out a 1899 made in 1901 chambered in 303 for doe season next weekend, also dragging along another in 250-3000. Putting a Weaver K4 on the 303 right now.

Bottom one is the 303 I'm scoping.

[Linked Image]

Couple of my EG..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Probably get cussed for dredging up and old thread, but it’s a good thread!!

What is that top Savage wearing on its reciever?
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/17/22
Only have one in .243 with a leupold s one, took my Montana buck with it last year.
Posted By: hanco Re: Savage 99 hunting..... - 10/17/22
It is a good thread, be taking a 284 a good bit, like me some 99’s. Thanks Roy!
© 24hourcampfire