Home
Posted By: nimrod1949 wife's moose - 10/07/11
My wife drew an Idaho moose tag this year. She wasn't too excited about it but that all changed.
We went up with the whole family to set up camp. I convinced her instead of spending money on a cabin rental we should buy a wall tent grin I found a deal on a beater tent on craigslist and the rest is history. I look forward to having the whole family along on future hunts.
[Linked Image]

I have a lot to learn about wall tenting...

[Linked Image]

learned the first night to be more careful with the chimney!

The in-laws and kids spent one night then went home leaving us to hunt alone. We haven't been away from the kids together one night in the four years since the first was born. It was a nice but hard break for her.
[Linked Image]

We hunted hard for the first three days of the season. Hunting high and low, calling, glassing, cruising roads like the camo 4wheeler brigade but weren't seeing any moose.
[Linked Image]
We were both getting frustrated. I would see moose in the area in the summer quite often just driving around while working and now they were hiding.

She had said she was going to shoot the first bull she saw and I was trying to get her a big one. But after days of nothing I was agreeing with her. We finally bumped into this guy on day four on our way from one stop to another.
[Linked Image]

We bailed from the rig and put the sneaky on him. The ol 260 was a complete pass through with 120 Barnes TTSX at about 100 yards. Not great placement but the deed was done and he went down.
[Linked Image]

[img]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q129/nimrod1949/moose2.jpg[/img]

He was kind enough to die close to the main road and I didn't even have to break out the MR pack for the job!
[img]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q129/nimrod1949/packout.jpg[/img]

Got to use my new knives too grin

[img]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q129/nimrod1949/IMG_1545.jpg[/img]

This was one of the best hunts I've been on probably because it wasn't about me and with the best looking hunting partner ever! She's drawn blood before but dumping a moose is a whole different level than some doe deer. She was pumped and took back all the 'I didn't even want to put in for this tag' stuff. Whew. Pressure is off for me this season we've got meat.

Posted By: BC30cal Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
nimrod1949;
Thanks for sharing your wife's hunt with us, it's great to see families out hunting together.

Please pass along congratulations to your wife on that fine bull. Unless I'm way off on this one, he will be absolutely wonderful eating. cool

I'll send you a tip of the hat as well for making sure your other half was welcome to get afield with you. Well done sir.

Lastly, I thought the matching Kromer's were the ultimate fashion statement. cool wink

Thanks again and all the best to you both in your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: BradArnett Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Congratulations to you both!!
Posted By: colorado bob Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
That's a great hunt. Conglads, that is going to be some mighty fine eating. Looks like a twin to my WY bull, that was the best meat, bar none. CB
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Congrats on a fine animal and hunt for you and your wife. Probably could have got a bigger one on the first day if you would have used blue tape instead of orange. A nice bull nonetheless. Magnum Man
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Thanks for sharing. Congrats to the Mrs.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Yah! you've got the Kromer's on too eh! Nice job!
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Way cool. Congrats to all, especially the pretty one. Swamp donkeys are fine eating!
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Congrats ~ ! good on you for gettin the whole fam damily out there ! pretty good quality time for sure...
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Congratulations to Mrs. Nimrod 1949, and well done! Great report and pictures.

Nothing wrong with popping one near a road! I'll bet that meat will be very tasty.

L.W.
Posted By: RNF Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Sounds like a lot of fun. Congrats to your wife.
Posted By: Huntr Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Looks like a great time! Congrats.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
That looks like a great time.

There are new knives?
Posted By: 99in22_250 Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Atta Girl!!! Great you and the whole fam got to enjoy her hunt.
Posted By: Joedjr Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Great story, pics and moose. Congratulations.
Posted By: brymoore Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Good stuff. What caliber is she shooting?
Posted By: AB2506 Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Congratulations to the wife.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Originally Posted by nimrod1949

This was one of the best hunts I've been on probably because it wasn't about me and with the best looking hunting partner ever!

Too many people have their priorities in the wrong place, but you don't. It sure isn't about the size of the headgear on a dead animal. Congratulations all around to your wife, you, and your family.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Thanks for the post, I just finished staging my gear in garage for elk season next week, and your post reminded me I hadn't got out my Stormy Kromer's yet. smile

congrates on the moose.
Posted By: Calvin Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Great hunt! Thanks for sharing. Next thing you know you'll be hauling out your kids moose.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by Ralphie
That looks like a great time.

There are new knives?

Yep. It took me a while to get around to it but updated my grinder and got back to work. See my posts in knives and blades.

Originally Posted by brymoore
Good stuff. What caliber is she shooting?

260 Remington
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Now this is some good stuff!

Congratz!

Dober
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11

That looks like good family time to me.

Looks like you did good on your tent. I hope you have more hunts with your family useing that tent.

Congratulations, I hope he eats well.
Posted By: 6mm Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
That's awesome! Congratulations to both of you! You better bleach that skull out for her and hang it in the garage, if she won't allow it in the house! One of those "skull hookers" would work great and look really nice, and it won't break the bank!! A tanned hide with hair on would look good over the banister too! (or put on the floor in a room!) Oops, now that's a little more spendy, but would be really neat also! How am I doing so far to assist?

He's going to be great eating too. Nice job!
Posted By: ironbender Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Great story and congrats to your wife!

Sadly, your hunting career is quickly coming to an end. You've been relegated to packer status! smile
Nice Kromer hats!!!!!!!!!!!! Kudos to her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: pointer Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Good deal! I may need some negotiating pointers in how to get from a cabin rental to a wall tent purchase. Good score!
Posted By: Brad Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Cool, and congrat's!

The Moose are rutting here... watched a bull yesterday sniffing a cow. She was very receptive, but she spotted us and the consummation was postponed. He was a BIG Shiras, maybe as much as 45". A smaller bull was hanging out as understudy in case the big boy died of a heart attack... now if I can just draw a darn tag.
Posted By: johnw Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
cool!!! congratulations to both of you... she got the moose, but you're the lucky one!!!
Posted By: Lonny Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Fantastic and congrats to the both of you. Thanks for sharing the hunt.

Glad to hear the 260 worked great as moose medicine. Some darn nice looking blades also.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Great write-up and pictures! Congrats to your wife!
Posted By: HighRoad Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
What a fun read. Congratulations to you both. Thanks for sharing the story and pics.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
He'll be fine eating this winter, those young one's sure are tastey!! Congrats to you and your wife for getting it done!!
Posted By: bea175 Re: wife's moose - 10/07/11
Congratulation to her on her moose and great shooting. Lots of good eating .
Posted By: savage62 Re: wife's moose - 10/08/11
Way to go .Not bad
Posted By: gmsemel Re: wife's moose - 10/08/11
Nice, looks like a good eating bull, heck it even looks a lot like the moose (elk) they shoot in Sweden Norway and Finland with 6.5 x55's.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: wife's moose - 10/08/11
Congratulations on a great hunt.
Posted By: Ghostwalker Re: wife's moose - 10/08/11
Good for her! Neat pics of your hunt also.
Posted By: las Re: wife's moose - 10/09/11
A .260 can't kill a moose.

At least mine can't. But next time I carry it moose hunting, I'm hoping to trip the trigger. smile OK- I killed an elk with mine, using 140 gr plain-janes, but that's different.

My wife took one with a .243, 100 grain plain-jane at @80 yards thru both lungs. Moose walked about 50 feet and fell over.

Pretty sure the moose wasn't able to tell the diff between that and my .338.

Congrats on the moose, a good hunt, and posting the story/pics.
Posted By: smokepole Re: wife's moose - 10/09/11
Congratulations, you did it right with the kids and in-laws and wall tent. Love the pics, especially the second one.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: wife's moose - 10/09/11
Congratulations to both of you! Like your idea of getting the wall tent and future family hunts...lots of fun years ahead for you!
Posted By: Nrut Re: wife's moose - 10/09/11
Way to go Mrs. Nimrod!
Posted By: exbiologist Re: wife's moose - 10/09/11
congrats to the missus. If he can't be big, may as well be close to a road.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: wife's moose - 10/09/11
Originally Posted by las
A .260 can't kill a moose.

At least mine can't. But next time I carry it moose hunting, I'm hoping to trip the trigger. smile OK- I killed an elk with mine, using 140 gr plain-janes, but that's different.

My wife took one with a .243, 100 grain plain-jane at @80 yards thru both lungs. Moose walked about 50 feet and fell over.

Pretty sure the moose wasn't able to tell the diff between that and my .338.

Congrats on the moose, a good hunt, and posting the story/pics.

Similar to my wife's first moose as well. She poked one at 40 yards with a 243 Handi-rifle and 90 grain XFB. Moose went about 25 feet and got out of the creek it was standing in. I tapped it with the '06 and knocked it over, but mine was not the killing shot, hers was. She now owns my '06 and has since dropped one in its tracks from 60 yards.

Nimrod, your wife's moose is a trophy in my books. All my trophies go in the freezer and into the fry pan. Good job. That'll eat well.
Posted By: Scotty Re: wife's moose - 10/10/11
Congratulations to your wife.
Posted By: longshot3 Re: wife's moose - 10/10/11
Big congrats to the both of you! Family hunts are great.
Posted By: GeorgeS3 Re: wife's moose - 10/11/11
Congrats to Mrs Nimrod...
Glad y'all had fun and the heat
is off....laffin...

George
© 24hourcampfire