Home
I know alot of you guys own several custom and semi-custom knives. If you could own only one to gut and skin game with which one would it be?

I have decided that I "need" a good custom or semi-custom knife but really don't know much about them. Every time I search a old thread I find another one that I like. Right now I really like the Dozier Yukon pro skinner but have never seen one in person.

Opinions anyone?

Dink
I bought a wilson tactical back when Ryan was working out of his dads shop. It was called a small fighter. black micarta grips with red inserts, mirror polished blade and sharkskin sheath. He engraved my name on the tang.
I could get by with that one.

i dont know if he still even makes it.
glad to have gotten the fancy model early on. As I remember he started doing it in kydex and black/green finish.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
If only one . . . I'm partial to Damascus steel . . .
I only just started checking the Knife Forum here on the campfire since I also wanted a nice custom but know nothing about them.

But I did just pick up a couple and I'm more than happy with them - both are David Winston model 61's with the Orange G-10. Mr. Winston sure was nice to deal with and his prices are great and the quality of his knives are 1st rate. Both he and Jason Winston put out nice stuff.

But yes +1 on the Dozier knives, I'd sure like one of those also.
This is a "personal" thing for me...I have thought the same thing and bought Randall, Dozier, Ingram, May,Winston and a couple others thrown in. I like em all and maybe prefer a Dozier Straight Personal the most. But, when going out the door, I usually take an old Case (large) folder a good friend gave me years ago. It's a good knife but no Ingram...good steel but not like the May or Winston. Not valuable like a Randall-except to me! I like it.
This one (well two) for custom

[Linked Image]

This one, but it's store bought and not a custom.

[Linked Image]
Fancy, expensive knives are pleasant to look at and then put back in the box. I still have my old first knife from the 50's and fancy one made up by Steyr.

Too great a chance to loose one. The ordinary ones work just fine for me. These days I prefer the safety of a folder that has a serrated blade and a regular blade.

Here is one by 'Winchester' that does a great job. It's not only all I need but its better than some fancy ones.

[Linked Image]

http://www.schnees.com/product/614/hunting-knives

"SheepHunter" by RJ Custom Knives
[Linked Image]

Price: $529.00

However it does not say " TACTICAL " on it! grin
That's the one, beautiful isn't it?
Originally Posted by Savage_99
[Linked Image]

Price: $529.00

However it does not say " TACTICAL " on it! grin

Like the blade shape but as an all round knife the finger noches are a uncomfortable addition for those times when the knife is used sharp edge up.

An all round knife needs a slight drop point to ease opening up the skin.
It needs a handle that is equally usable edge up or down.
It needs a bit of belly to facilitate skining.
It needs enough straight edge to facilitate cutting.
Not necessarily findable in the one knife. I made and carry these two.
[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.
I really like my Dozier Yukon Pro, but comparing it to my Ingram #1 the blade shape is nearly identical. You can hold one above the other, aligning the tip and cutting edge and can't see any difference. From a working standpoint, they're both great just like carrying the Dozier because of the horizontal carry kydex sheath and the synthetic handle. That Spalted Maple Ingram is just too purty to take a chance on.
My Ingram Lite Hunter hasn't seen blood yet, but deer season opens next Wednesday!
[Linked Image]

in use...they were made for being used...

[Linked Image]

I have three custom knives and numerous commercial knives. I keep coming back to old ugly, my Buck 119. The American made bucks have very good steel in the blades; takes awhile to sharpen but holds and edge like nobodies business. I have used this knife for all of my local hunting and most of my guiding. I tried the custom knives guiding as they were supposed to hold an edge better than anything the other guides and the outfitter had used. After a couple of caribou it was back to old ugly.

I have used a variety of knives for skinning over the years, just bought old uglies younger brother the Buck skinner, very pleased as well.

Custom knives as the ones posted above are truly beautiful as are two of my custom knives (one is now kind off beat up from frequent use and washing)I just find for use it is the old stand by.

So to answer the question if I could own only one custom knife, it would be one which performed as well as the old Buck 119.

Thanks for sharing the pictures guys. GRF
One of these by Guy Helscher

GH Knives

Mine.........

[Linked Image]
Dozier-

Same as OP DINK suggested. The Ingram Whammer combo is very nice, but I think his turnaround is now years, not months. Sure Bob is close to a year also. Just looked at AG Russell and that Yukon is pretty close to being added to cart.

Others have mentioned Winston. I do have one of his and used it this year. It is nice. Just always wanted a Dozier.
Steel, nice to see fat, blood and hair on a knife once in a while.
Not really a "custom" because it is a catalog item, but I would still choose this one for my all purpose skinning knife.

[Linked Image]
I picked up this Ingram Lite hunter from the 'fire classifieds a little bit ago. I could easily justify it being my last knife... But, I am just so dang impressed with the workmanship that I doubt it will be my last!

When I talked to Gene, he mentioned to me that he had several in inventory and sent me pics, so don't let the long wait scare you off. He may have what you want in stock.

John

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead

This one, but it's store bought and not a custom.

[Linked Image]

Scott,

I had that same set for years. Gave really good service and was quite versatile. I think I lost it in a move, and wish I had it back. Inexpensive and worked really well...

John
Originally Posted by Odessa
Not really a "custom" because it is a catalog item, but I would still choose this one for my all purpose skinning knife.

[Linked Image]

I've had and used that one for a long time. I like it, but wouldn't pick it if I had to keep just one.

[Linked Image]

I have quite a few Ingram's I've been using over the years and if I had to pick just one to keep and use, it would be one of my Slims.

[Linked Image]
being close friend with the SIL of the late RO Easler I have found has it benifits. Waiting on a leather sheath for my new knife to soak in the bee's wax my neighbor gave me.
Something about having a knife made with your own antler, local leather sheath and backyard beeswax.
thats keeping it local.
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
I picked up this Ingram Lite hunter from the 'fire classifieds a little bit ago. I could easily justify it being my last knife... But, I am just so dang impressed with the workmanship that I doubt it will be my last!

When I talked to Gene, he mentioned to me that he had several in inventory and sent me pics, so don't let the long wait scare you off. He may have what you want in stock.

John

[Linked Image]

John, The lite-hunter is a good one too and here is mine. For me the Slim is just a little smaller and fits me like a glove.

[Linked Image]
Thanks everyone.

I really like that lite hunter.

Do you guys prefer the flat grind to the hollow ground dozier knives?

Dink
Originally Posted by BradArnett
Originally Posted by Odessa

[Linked Image]

I've had and used that one for a long time. I like it, but wouldn't pick it if I had to keep just one.

[Linked Image]

I have quite a few Ingram's I've been using over the years and if I had to pick just one to keep and use, it would be one of my Slims.

Now that you guys have broached the subject of Randalls, heres a Model 7 I bought 39 years ago from Bo himself...tradition is to use it to dress at least one deer a year...its on its third sheath...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Like dad (ole_270)and others said above, Ingram's Lite Hunter is hard to beat. Then again, I grab one of his B&T's (not sure the model it was) quite often, very similar size wise to the Lite Hunter. The #1 drop point works well too, which is what I used a couple weeks ago on a doe.

Decisions decisions.
You guys please try to not throw up in your mouths when you see this... but this is perhaps my fave knife...and hardly a custom...

[Linked Image]
Only one, then one of the Loveless patterns from Wayne Hendrix.
Heck, I might as well throw a production knife into this as well since everybody else is--

Ordered one of the Kershaw Gentleman's Folders off of Amazon last week, got it Friday. A couple years ago I thought it was too big for pocket carry, but the forum convinced me to get it anyway. $45 is pretty hard to beat too on this discontinued knife

[Linked Image]
I really like the Gene Ingram #7.

ddj
Originally Posted by ingwe
You guys please try to not throw up in your mouths when you see this... but this is perhaps my fave knife...and hardly a custom...

[Linked Image]

I was given one of those as a gift but never used it. I didn't like that the blade doesn't lock. Maybe ill have to give it a try.

[Linked Image]
This one....if I could only have one to gut and skin big game.
[Linked Image]
This is my current favorite.
[Linked Image]
This one is my son's and I could get by with it as well.
[Linked Image]
Antlers and FVA make and models please.

Dink
Mine's a Model 60 from David Winston.
I kinda like knives. Have not used all of them, but would. They all have a specific blade design that would work better in different situations. I like a blade with a lot of belly. Seems to work best for me.If I had to pick one it would be the Marbles in the middle.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by antlers
This one....if I could only have one to gut and skin big game.
[Linked Image]

I really like that blade style.
I do too. To my eye, the skinners from David Winston are about the best looking blade styles that I've seen.
Patrick James, I agree with you about a lot of belly, my favorite skinner is also a Marbles (but not a custom which was the topic of this thread). In my collection of drop point knives I have one of each class represented. From left to right; a Tom Morris made "one of a kind" which he built for me, then a Russ Sutton - my only true custom knife, a USA made Marbles - a decent quality production knife with a perfectly designed blade, and then the Randall - a semi-custom, high quality skinner.

[Linked Image]
I'm a Dozier guy from way back... hard to beat the family and their work.
Two Doziers here - ones a KS-4 and the other is a, well I don't remember... It's got about a 3.25" blade and works well on deer...
Originally Posted by DINK
Antlers and FVA make and models please.

Dink

Top one is a model 41, bottom a model 26. Both from Dave Winston in S30V. Caribou and Ironwood handle material.
This is the only custom knife I have ever owned. I drew it on a piece of card stock and the knife maker did the rest. The blade is 440-C and the handle slabs are mesquite.

[Linked Image]
Hadn't seen Charles May mentioned. As good as Gene easily.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

George Herron Number Two. And no other.

Steve

If I was to pick only one, I'd take my litehunter without question. Best working blade on game I've ever used.
This is my only custom, just picked it up last week at a RMEF banquet. I[Linked Image] guess it would have to do.
Really like the slim......thanks Brad!
Like all 3 a bunch but the slim would be last to leave.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Hadn't seen Charles May mentioned. As good as Gene easily.

[Linked Image]

Charlie makes a nice knife and that's one of his best..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Another fav from him is the Bob White..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If you're into slim and trim these two are the sweetest ones I've ever owned..

[img]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/RDFinn/MenefeeHunters.jpg[/img]
My favorite was a Rick Dunkerley until a hunter gave me a DiamondBlade last year.
I whould make it. Then I suck at such but I like them. Just me thou.
Originally Posted by dogzapper

[Linked Image]

George Herron Number Two. And no other.

Steve

I second a George Herron, he built me a custom gut hook with a deep belly that I drew out on a piece of paper the day i won the SC wildgame cookoff. It was a gift from my Dad for winning, ivory slabs, both schrimshawed by Bob Burdette, 8 pt on one side, and boss gobblers on the other.

Knife no. 714, been offered boo coup money, not for sale.

Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Two Doziers here - ones a KS-4 and the other is a, well I don't remember... It's got about a 3.25" blade and works well on deer...

Heck, I just got my Christmas present early. These arrive Thursday...

[Linked Image]
What is Gene's wait time now?
This is a hard decision for folks that own many customs. This is an Al Alexander knife is on my desk right now, and it might be an "only one knife". This is Al's pic of the knife that I own. The Bartahatchie Skinner.

http://aablades.blademakers.com/Knife_Image_PopUp.asp?Ref_Num=3708

Don't know. I emailed him asking a few questions and he had that set and this set pictured below in stock.

This set is still in stock, but I might buy it just because... Litehunter combo in Ironwood, D2 steel.

[Linked Image]

Gene is currently quoting January 2013 delivery. Kimberman, I'm pretty sure the light hunter combo isn't available anymore. As of Sunday the only combo available was the one you just bought. If the Litehunter is still available I want it!
Well then. For once, it doesn't suck to be me!
I like both of these...if pressed, the bottom one for doing it all.

[Linked Image]
I've never really thought about getting a custom knife. I use my Buck 110 folding knife and keep it razor sharp. It works great for field dressing deer size game.

About 8 years ago I bought a Ka-Bar Next Generation Black Stainless Steel Fighting Knife with the Black Glass Filled Nylon Sheath. It's similar to the USMC Fighting Knife, just stainless and black. I don't know why I bought it. At the time I just had to have it. It's only been out of the safe a few times since I bough it to show a few friends and my son (10). It's pretty worthless for as a hunting knife, to big. I've thought about bringing it hog hunting. It'd be nice to have a big knife then. It's not a custom knife, but it's cool though!

NYH1!
Buck 105 and any good large trapper pattern (favorite is the USA Old Timer) will always work for me. It would be hard to improve on how these have worked for me over the years.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Don't know. I emailed him asking a few questions and he had that set and this set pictured below in stock.

This set is still in stock, but I might buy it just because... Litehunter combo in Ironwood, D2 steel.

[Linked Image]

The set is no longer "in stock" grin
Not the handiest blade in the bunch, but I've field dressed and butchered buffler, speedgoats and deer with it!! Anderson Forge Damascus Bowie

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I've got a Eugene Shadley #558
[Linked Image]
Here's a custom done for as a gift from a buddy in Wyo.

[Linked Image]

That last one is intriguing for sure! Thats a lot of time involved.

Me, I"m havalon piranta all the way. Can't beat it and not much it won't do.
randall model 26 with a straight stag handle, also have a model 28 thats gonna get sold (can't see it will ever get used by me).

If i hadn't got the randall's i would have been happy forever with a leather stack handled case pathfinder.

The set is no longer "in stock" grin

Nice snag!!!
It would/will be a Randall Model 28 for me.
This one:

Dozier (Dozier Personal?). Got it from a bud wink

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire