Home
So what do you like to use for your field dressing Big Game.

See a lot of people using the Puukko, Buck Knives Paklite, Buck 119, Havalon, Becker has the BK14 like the ESEE Izula.

The sharpest knife I have at that particular time. Varies from time to time but partial to buck knives in general.
Havalon, cutco, or my knife I got from Nimrod 1949.

The havalons are the berries for caping.
I use Puma for general gutting and skinning. Without a doubt the best caping blade I've ever used is the Havalon, like Ralphie said.
I generally use an Uncle Henry LB-7 or Buck 110 for field dressing and skinning and a Gransfors Bruks hunters axe for quartering.
I've got well over 30 Ingrams, May's and Winstons...and I use a Havalon. Can't beat a disposable scalpel blade at $5 a dozen for this task.
Cutco, Fallkniven F1, and possibly the Dozier that I just got as a gift from a friend, but I haven't tried that one yet.
Slow down son young bull old bull! It is fare from hunting season. For skinning I like the Alaska muckrat. Next month caping. You have five months tied up there.
I really really like my KOA's
Originally Posted by Tom264
Ain't that a campground ?
Yes five we forgot gutting and please tell me you don't have micro sizzers to cut the tag out. Knotch them on the hoof.
I use the Mora 511, Helle Puukko 3-1/8 blade, ULA most of the time.

I was thinking of picking up a Becker BK14, Buck Paklite skinner.
I use a KOA Alpha Wolf that I absolutely love. Had it for three seasons now and I usually end up gutting everyone's kill with it as well. I also carry a Sagen hand saw with me while hunting for rib cages and pelvises. In the truck I keep a buck hatchet and SOG folding camp saw just in case.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Tom264
Ain't that a campground ?
Knives of Alaska.
buck 110 folding hunter.
In terms turning large terrestrial wildlife into manageable salvaged portions, I use a pointed three-inch blade sheath knife and a curved four-inch blade skinner, both created by Knives of Alaska. However, when it comes to moose, I also incorporate an Estwing axe for only two practical applications. And, I also deploy a Wyoming saw for cutting through skull plates of smaller big game animals. That's it.
Custom skinner I use for skinning and field dressing.
[Linked Image]

Dewalt saw I use to quarter hogs. (change blades to a tree pruning blade)
[Linked Image]

And these for processing.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by GrosVentreGeorge
I use a KOA Alpha Wolf that I absolutely love. Had it for three seasons now and I usually end up gutting everyone's kill with it as well. I also carry a Sagen hand saw with me while hunting for rib cages and pelvises. In the truck I keep a buck hatchet and SOG folding camp saw just in case.
How does KOA Alpha Wolf hold an edge and is it hard to sharpen with the D2 steel?
Been using a Buck 110 forever, but I have thought of getting a Havalon.

Which model Havalon are you guys using? I do gutless and boning on the kill sight. I think the bigger Havalon would be better for me. Barracutta is it?
Can't beat Gene Ingram's wares for gutting and skinning
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Been using a Buck 110 forever, but I have thought of getting a Havalon.

Which model Havalon are you guys using? I do gutless and boning on the kill sight. I think the bigger Havalon would be better for me. Barracutta is it?
Havalon I have both, one that takes the #60 is longer than the #22,#22 blade is great smaller blade and rounded edge.

This has been my favorite for the last 20 years. It was one of the earlier ATS-34 blades of which I became aware. It fits my hand and the blade shape is "just right" for a combination field dressing and skinning tool.

[Linked Image]
I use Ingrams and a wyoming saw, but have been looking at the Havalons!
I use a KOA Jaeger Hunter for gutting and quartering. I use a Sabatier boning knife for boning it out, and for most of the butchering I use a Chicago Cutlery 6.5 inch santoku. When I slice up jerkey meat I bought a Shun Nakiri that's just perfect for the job. It's like a cross between a straight razor and a cleaver and it never gets dull.
I used my Uncle Henry Golden Spike until Dad told me it was basically a collector's item these days. I have also used a Schrade Deerslayer and Sharpfinger.

I currently use and love my outdoor edge swingblade. I carry the Elk/Moose Sagen saw most of the time and also a Wyoming saw when I am going to need to bone/quarter.
My favorite is this one I made from a farrier's rasp. Great for field dressing or skinning.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Can't beat Gene Ingram's wares for gutting and skinning
[Linked Image]

Dats a beauty�..
Originally Posted by wildchild2010
How does KOA Alpha Wolf hold an edge and is it hard to sharpen with the D2 steel?
The Alpha Wolf holds an edge pretty damn good in my opinion. I went through five antelope and three muleys before trying to sharpen it. It wasn't dull but not razor sharp like when I first bought it. I tried using a Lansky pro stone set but it isn't as sharp as I feel it should be. I might try the diamond set before sending it back to KOA to have them sharpen it.
Originally Posted by wildchild2010
The Alpha Wolf holds an edge pretty damn good in my opinion. I went through five antelope and three muleys before trying to sharpen it. It wasn't dull but not razor sharp like when I first bought it. I tried using a Lansky pro stone set but it isn't as sharp as I feel it should be. I might try the diamond set before sending it back to KOA to have them sharpen it.
I know they use D-2 for a lot of forming dies "not much for cutting dies", D-2 is an abrasive material pending if it was double drwden at heat treat or not. That is why I asked if it held a good edge. Thanks
Been using a buck "bucklite" and a victorinox parer for a while for field work. And a Victorinox boning knife for butchering. And a cheapo $4 lansky ceramix stix for touch up on the vickies. Sharp sharp sharp.
I use a Benchmade Bone Collector for boning in the field
http://www.benchmade.com/products/15000

Oldtimer folding knife for the light work, guts, skinning etc. A buck 5 inch for the bones and a 6 inch saw for whats left. Did a couple of elk with the gutless method last fall and had good success with it. Its faster and keeps the meat a little neater.
Hi Sean, I am also keen to use a victorinox parer (or a pair of them) but still deciding on a sheath or way of covering the blade in my pack - what do you use? A few years back CMG posted that he had rigged up a sheath for one on his packframe but there were no pics.

Gareth
I bought a couple sheets of plastic cutting board, its really thin, but tough white plastic sheet at the dollar store. I folded it up with help of a bench vise to make a double sheath for a set of parer's one serrated, one straight. I'll see if I can get a photo.
I think we get a similar material here so would be very grateful if you founds some pics. smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nevermind the string, It doesnt serve any purpose for the sheath, just a handy place to keep extra string.
Awesome, much appreciated smile
[Linked Image]

As well as:

LB7
Buck Vanguard (no gut hook)
Puma Hunters Pal
Grohman skinner

There's a ton-load more but the above are normally on/near me. Whammers in my pack, LB7 or Vanguard on my belt when packless, Puma and Grohman in the door pockets of the pickup.
Several I use, but this pair from Charles May gets the most use. Slitter for field dressing/skinning and B&T for processing. I have a foldable bone saw the I use to open the pelvis and ribcage if/when needed.

[Linked Image]

This is three I made for myself over the years and they have become my do all knives. The Walnut and brass camp knife I did over 20 years ago while the African Blackwood and Nickle Silver skinner and the Ivory and Nickle silver small game knife are more recent and can do all I need to do in the field.
[Linked Image]

Von Gruff.
I like a victorinox trekker for general duty and just picked up a couple of the vicky paring knives that I'm really liking. I took an old piece of vinal siding and used my wifes flat iron to heat it and bend it to shape. Added a couple of grommets to hold it all together. Seems to be holding up well and weighs nothing.
© 24hourcampfire