Home
Posted By: Old Timer Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/08/12
I was wondering if anyone has tried the fusion 150 for deer and what you think of the loads i have sold all my hand loading equipments, and am now buying factory loads have been thing about the federal fusions what do you think.
thanks for the reply.
Old Timer
Posted By: TwoTrax Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/08/12
I mostly roll my own, but a couple of years ago I had a 300 WSM put together and bought some Fed Fusion 165 gr to try before I had accumulated dies and brass. Quite acccurate and I took some caribou with the factory rounds, they performed very well in that use. I see no reason why they would not provide stellar performance on deer size critters.
I use the 140gr 7mm-08 fusions on deer and they have performed perfectly. I have only recovered one but it expanded nicely and was just caught by the offside hide.
Posted By: pa_gus Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/08/12
Thats all I run in my 338 fed. The gun loves em, they are cheap, and they perform beautifly on deer and bear [Linked Image]
Several of the guys I hunt with use then exclusively,in 30-06,7-08 and 7mag.All of the rifles shot 1in or less groups and the bullet worked very well on hogs and deer.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/08/12
Accurate as hell & hit like a hammer!!
I've used 'um in .308win & .270win with Tastey BBQ results on several deer, also as accurate as my best handloads out to 400 yards.
Over the past 5-6 years I've used the 140 grain in my 7mm08's and the 95 grain in my .243's and killed a truck-load of antelopes with them, only ever recovered 1 bullet - a .243. Seems all my rifles like them and all have worked well on game, no complaints here.
I haven't used them on game, but there's not other factory ammo that has shot as well in the different rifles I have owned. Given that I use cartridges that don't push 3,000 fps, I'm pretty confident they'd hold up reasonably well on game. FWIW, I haven't yet heard of anyone who's been dissatisfied with on-game performance from 'em.

FC
Posted By: Nate40 Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/09/12
Ive ised the 150gr fusions out of a 270 on 5deer. 3 bangfloped one went 20yards and one i hit too far back went about 40-50 yards. Thats all i use anymore in my 270. I shot one deer with 140gr fusions from a 280 at 325yards and it went 20yards and fell drt. There probobly the best for tge money imo
Posted By: KC Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/09/12

I guess it's good to hear that at least some people are getting good results when using Federal Fusion ammo. I've been using Federal Premium in my '06 and when I tried a box of Fusion bullets my groups doubled in size.

KC

Posted By: las Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/09/12
Originally Posted by KC

I guess it's good to hear that at least some people are getting good results when using Federal Fusion ammo. I've been using Federal Premium in my '06 and when I tried a box of Fusion bullets my groups doubled in size.

KC

Chit happens. Use the accurate one...
I haven't had them shoot good in any rifles yet (only tried them in 2 so far) and so I haven't killed anything with them either.

I prefer the blue box federal stuff if I'm going to shoot factory ammo.
Posted By: MarkG Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/09/12
I run the Fusion 150's in my 30-06. They are MOA in my rifle, and work superbly on deer.
I use them in; 95gr/.243 and 150gr/.308. Very accurate. Death ray on deer and hogs.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/09/12
i run the fusion 200's in my 338 fed and they are pin point accurate and devastating on deer. i shopped for deals and got a few cases for $21.50/bx shipped. no worries for ammo for the rest of my life and probably my kids. i'd buy a box and see how they shoot and then shop online and be patient. some bandits want $30/bx but you can get them cheaper.
Thanks Guys for the come back Has anyone shot them from a Kimber 3006 ?? My local shop is selling them for 21.99 a box i was thinking of picking up 5 boxs of the saame lot.
Old Timer
I shot four deer with the Fusions this past fall with my .260. Three of th four exited and were bang flops. One shot was a frontal shot and I found the remaining portion of the bullet near the last rib. I was not impressed. Basically, all that remained was the last one-quarter of the bullet with a shard of metal hanging off one side. It looked almost exactly like an eraser on a pencil. The shot was not overly close, about 125 yards away. I thought the bullet would have held up better.
I have been using the 180 gr. Fusion out of my .30-06 despite the fact that I reload, because they shoot really well and are not nearly as expensive as a lot of factory offerings. When these two boxes are gone, well then, I will have to work up a handload. Took this buck this fall with the '06 and Fusion load.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/09/12
I been shooting 150 gr 7mm RM Fusion loads out of my Blaser. Very accurate and it been working well on all the game I have shot with it. This past season, 6 white tails. Good load and very inexpensive.
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I shot four deer with the Fusions this past fall with my .260. Three of th four exited and were bang flops. One shot was a frontal shot and I found the remaining portion of the bullet near the last rib. I was not impressed. Basically, all that remained was the last one-quarter of the bullet with a shard of metal hanging off one side. It looked almost exactly like an eraser on a pencil. The shot was not overly close, about 125 yards away. I thought the bullet would have held up better.

Guess the deer died if you recovered the bullet...
Originally Posted by duckster
I have been using the 180 gr. Fusion out of my .30-06 despite the fact that I reload, because they shoot really well and are not nearly as expensive as a lot of factory offerings. When these two boxes are gone, well then, I will have to work up a handload. Took this buck this fall with the '06 and Fusion load.

[Linked Image]

Nice! What state or country?

Dober
Posted By: DJTex Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/10/12
Very nice buck, Duck!

Love the frame, mass & character.

DJ
Posted By: DJTex Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/10/12
I've run Fusions in 243, 270, 25-06 and 7mm-08 and have found them to be accurate. I can't remember a rifle not shooting them sub-moa.

I've also found their performance on some pretty good bucks to be very good. The only one I ever caught was a 25-06 on a longish shot that may have clipped a little grass - but it still angled straight through the deer and was under the off-side hide.

I have busted shoulders on a few big bucks, mostly with the 7-08, and they have always exited.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DJ

Posted By: TakeEm Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/10/12
They have served my father in law well in his .300 Win Mag (165gr) up to and including Elk.
They shoot so accurately in my .260 (0.3" @ 100m) that I quit worrying abut loading something for that rifle. Unfortunately, a buddy had a box from a different lot that didn't shoot anywhere near as well in his rifle or mine. I'm going to buy a few more boxes to see whether mine or his was the anomaly or the rule.
Originally Posted by duckster

[Linked Image]
Great buck, duckster. WT, mulie, or cross??
Posted By: jeffpie Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/11/12
very good very accurate. SHAME on Federal for for reneging the sale of these bullets as components.
I've never used them but I am going to give them a shot. Good luck on finding a bad review on them in any caliber. Everything I have read has been positive.
Thank you i just bought 4 boxes 150 in 3006
nice buck what is your rifle
North central Nebraska sandhills
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/14/12
Two years ago, I bought a Kimber 8400 Montana in 300WSM at a price I couldn't refuse. To try the rifle, and get some brass, I purchased some 150 gr Fusion.

Now you know how badly Kimbers shoot ( grin) , so I was quite pleased when the first 3 shot group was 0.87". If I shot well, the Fusion would continue to do that. For one reason or another, I have never gotten around to reloading for it, as the Fusions just plain work. Granted, I have only shot deer, but a few dead deer later (all pass through, including two Texas heart shots), if I only ever hunted deer and antelope, I could live with the Fusion.

One thing I like about it, is for a non-mono bullet, i doesn't bloodshot/destroy as much meat as some cup and core bullets. That's my experience anyways.
I shot a bull elk with 338win mag & fusion bullet ( 200 gr I think) and hit him high in the shoulder. The fusion bullet just blew apart with no obvious wound channel. I now use Federal Premiums w/Nozler accubonds for the 338. The accuracy was very good, I still use the fusion in the 243 I just don't think they hold up well on thick skin.
My son has a weatherby Vanguard in .243 and since I was subsidizing him in ammo I tried a few of the less expensive factory offerings. The Fusion shot very well in his rifle and he has been using them exclusively for several years now with very good success. I wouldn't be at all afraid of giving them a try were I you.
Fusions are the best factory deer ammo out there for the price. My Model 70 30-06 shoots the 165s and 180s so well I quit loading for it.
My friend has used them in her .270 with excellent results. Accurate with pass-thru's on the two WT bucks she's harvested. My other friend's father has killed a cow elk, pass thru, and a WT buck with his 338WM. We recovered this bullet. Deer was just cresting a small knoll when he hit it with a frontal shot below the chin. Bullet blew up the spine in the neck and then plowed thru another 20" of spine and came to rest under the hide of the back.

They are made using the same bonding process as the Speer Deep Curls and Gold Dot pistol bullets. I was impressed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
They had a bit of trouble with them here in Australia on Sambar Deer, which are Elk sized and tough. Bullets wern't up to it, seem to be designed for lighter American deer. Should work well on your smaller deer as that is what they were designed for apparently. They seem to work ok her on lighter species.
Posted By: efw Re: Federal Fusion good or bad - 03/27/12
My buddy DRT'd a nice, heavy WT buck w/ the 95 gr .243 load at pretty close range. It doesn't take much to kill a deer if you do your part. Go forth w/ confidence...
© 24hourcampfire