Home
Ok maybe I'm going about this the wrong way or something. But I been trying to find someone that is interested in doing some out of state hunts. But everyone I talk to is like you want to drive how far and do what. Yes I realize I live in Tennessee and to get out west it is a good drive. But how do you guys find dedicated people to do this I'm not talking about father son I'm talking about a friend or someone you have met. I'm not really looking to pay a guide I'm more into on my own maybe that is why most people doesn't like the idea of it. I have started planning a trip already ordered maps and hoping to find someone before time to go and put in for the draw. But it is hard at least so far for me. Plus finding someone trust worthy and reliable.
It's hard to find people to hunt with. I have hunted out west with dozens of guys and only have one buddy I can count on all the time. All the others either don't have the money or their wives won't let them go.

One guy I hunted with several times got where he would put in and draw a tag then back out a couple weeks before it was time to go. Then we had to pay his part of the fuel. He does not get invited anymore even though he is a good guy.

You really just have to decide to go and go. If people want to go fine if not that's fine also.

Dink
I will admit up front that I have never had to deal with what you are asking about. However, since I have started working with organized sportsmen's clubs, I have found a number of good hunting partners. I get far more invitations to go on out of state hunts than I can possibly accept, and far more than I am in a position to offer.

Find a chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation or the Mule Deer Foundation or the National Wild Turkey Federation. I have found that guys who are active in these kinds of organizations usually hunt a little bit of everything and they are always game for something new. You will spend a little money on memberships and blow a few bucks at banquets, but I bet you will also meet some guys who would like to make some of the same hunts that you would.
pse, I feel for ya. It's hard enough to find a good partner right at home. I hunted with a guy that knew what I would do before I did it, and vica versa. He moved out of state last year, and I don't expect to find a guy that I can hunt with the same way. It takes years sometimes to build the trust in a good hunting partner. mtmuley
Ya I realize it takes time to build trust
Yep pse I feel for ya too. what dink said is true. my pards would drive and pay for gas if I had to settle a score..........let alone just hunt.
Best option, IMO, is to plan on hunting alone.

Lots of reasons for that...and I'll list a bunch.

1. Its really tough for people to commit. Many want to go, but make up every excuse they can to not go when it comes down to it.

2. If you're applying and drawing tags that arent OTC, it can take years to draw them. When you do, its tough enough to find ONE quality animal, let alone 2, 3, 4 of them.

3. When you finally find some areas, they will be YOUR areas. Its pretty rare to find a hunting partner that will keep their yap shut about your spots. Even worse, many will horn right into spots you've shown them and not even feel bad about it when they do. Some even get upset when you call them on their bullchit.

4. When you hunt alone...you make all your own decisions. If you feel like waking up at 3 a.m. and hiking 4 hours in the dark you can. If you feel like sleeping in until noon and just do an evening hunt you can. YOU control the outcome of your hunt and how you go about it.

Take it from someone who has been there and done that, you'll never hunt more effectively on a serious hunt than when you hunt alone. I spent wayyyy too much of my time in the past worrying about hunting with others and making sure they filled their tags. It wears you down...and I felt exactly like a guide. I put pressure on myself to make sure they were successful. Rarely was that reciprocated.

Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy helping out some friends and tagging along on their hunts. I just dont make any hunting plans revolving around someone elses old lady, schedule, kids, money issues, etc. When I apply for tags, I plan on doing all those hunts solo. If a friend is available and wants to go...great. If not, no big deal either.

My 2 cents.
Heck my shadow makes me mad seems to beat me to my best hunting spots.
Marry your hunting partne...that is if you are lucky
I got rid of one a couple of years ago,couldn't hit crap. If he did hit it, it got away. Had one elk he shot way back and low and it died on guys land we were hunting three days after we left.The owner asked me to never bring him back. Was never where he said he was going to be, was always in the truck first, hated moving in the dark, and had to eat lunch in the truck. I am better off with out him. Have a couple other sets of guys that are great to hunt with but they are not available every day. I tailor my trips around their leave schedule. I usually do at least 1 elk hunt annually by myself.
Generally, we only find each other back at the canoe or truck or camp. Usually not on time, but sooner or later...
Originally Posted by BuzzH

1. Its really tough for people to commit. Many want to go, but make up every excuse they can to not go when it comes down to it.

2. If you're applying and drawing tags that arent OTC, it can take years to draw them. When you do, its tough enough to find ONE quality animal, let alone 2, 3, 4 of them.

3. When you finally find some areas, they will be YOUR areas. Its pretty rare to find a hunting partner that will keep their yap shut about your spots. Even worse, many will horn right into spots you've shown them and not even feel bad about it when they do. Some even get upset when you call them on their bullchit.

4. When you hunt alone...you make all your own decisions. If you feel like waking up at 3 a.m. and hiking 4 hours in the dark you can. If you feel like sleeping in until noon and just do an evening hunt you can. YOU control the outcome of your hunt and how you go about it.

Take it from someone who has been there and done that, you'll never hunt more effectively on a serious hunt than when you hunt alone. I spent wayyyy too much of my time in the past worrying about hunting with others and making sure they filled their tags. It wears you down...and I felt exactly like a guide. I put pressure on myself to make sure they were successful. Rarely was that reciprocated.

Dont get me wrong, I still enjoy helping out some friends and tagging along on their hunts. I just dont make any hunting plans revolving around someone elses old lady, schedule, kids, money issues, etc. When I apply for tags, I plan on doing all those hunts solo. If a friend is available and wants to go...great. If not, no big deal either.

My 2 cents.
Very good advice. I'm lucky to have a few folks I can depend on, but those are few and far between. Begging on a forum is not going to work. Post, converse, share info, etc and get to know folks and you'll have a much better chance of finding someone to hunt with you. The personal ads are pretty lame...
Per previous post - We hunt alone together...

Every once in awhile, we bump into each other away from camp/canoe/truck- usually because one of us has screwed up... smile
how do you find a good hunting partner?

Grow your own...

wink

[Linked Image]
I mostly hunt with family. Tried going with a few different guys but their idea of a great day of hunting was alot different than mine.
Unfortunately it's trial and error. Some are wonderful suprises, and other are woeful failures. Fortunately, I have three and we've done fine for month long wilderness excursions.

One of my winners turned out to be my wife. That one took a little while to whip into shape, but she has plowed through snow up to her ass for days on end chasing elk.
My experience has confirmed that it is very difficult to find a hunting/fishing partner. My long time friends are always short on cash and I'm not rich enough to fund their share so that has eliminated them when it comes to hunting out of state. I did find a guy that was my own age and had a similar career to fish with. I got to know him off a fishing forum. One trip with him was all it took to find that we really didn't hit it off that well. The friend that I used to fish with all the time really stung me once, a long story, so that fishing relationship has dwindled to maybe twice a year instead of the old 25-30 times. Good luck in your quest, it's not easy.
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Ok maybe I'm going about this the wrong way or something. But I been trying to find someone that is interested in doing some out of state hunts. But everyone I talk to is like you want to drive how far and do what. Yes I realize I live in Tennessee and to get out west it is a good drive. But how do you guys find dedicated people to do this I'm not talking about father son I'm talking about a friend or someone you have met. I'm not really looking to pay a guide I'm more into on my own maybe that is why most people doesn't like the idea of it. I have started planning a trip already ordered maps and hoping to find someone before time to go and put in for the draw. But it is hard at least so far for me. Plus finding someone trust worthy and reliable.

I always hunt alone, so I've never been in your predicament. But, you should investigate your local sportsmen's associations/organizations and also do some inexpensive advertising in local internet or print media outlets. If you can't find anyone within your circle of friends and acquaintances and/or family members, you should be able to connect with someone local by involving yourself with sportsmen's groups.
I have always thought that hunting was an adventure, as was finding good people to hunt with. I have been very lucky and have hunted with the same guy for over 30 years. It is still an adventure, but a very enjoyable one when both of you score on elk the same day, toast one another with Southern Comfort, and both of our rifles shoot to the same POI.Hard to ask for more than that.

Terry
I have been screwed over too many times by (inviting) my (friends) to go hunting, that being said I only hunt with family or by myself too much land is being bought here to take for granted!!!!
Trial and error.

Its simple. Some capable, some not.

Ones I hunt most with, we grew up together. Plus a few long time neighbors.

I think one of the first things is do a real assessment of what drives you as a hunter. Are you a trophy at all costs guy, Are you a gun nut that hunts, are you a hunter that owns a rifle, or are you a social hunter that enjoys seeing the country and sharing with a few buddy's. Once you are clear on why you hunt then you can better id the attributes you want in a partner. It's like golf there are the guys that are competitive as he--, the gamblers , the drinkers that don't give a rip and social golfers. All kinds can have good to terrible golfers but God help you if you get with the wrong group as it can be miserable. Then there are the financial issues as if one of you is willing to leave the wife and kids home w/o a vacation for 10 years while you chase elk but the other guy isn't then you need to know that. Like wise if you run with the big dogs then don't select a guy that can't afford to keep up or vice versa. So start with a good look in the mirror.
I have hunted with several people ONCE. They are either scared of the dark, or unprepared, or loud, or won't get out of the truck, or have to be back in time for a football game.

Hell, i hunted with one guy once that needed some toilet paper. i thought "what kind of idiot doesn't bring tp?" So I had to dig into my pack, find him some tp, and then he used it to loudly blow his nose. Sigh.

Yeah, there's a lot of trial and error. Have eliminated a lot of potential hunting partners in one or two trips over the years.

I tend to have several hunting partners, depending on the type of hunting. If I'm hunting big mule deer then it's very limited, but if hunting some other stuff, whether pronghorns or birds, then it's less limited.

Luckily, my wife really likes to hunt, and we really don't care who gets the game. She's also a good hunter and shot.

Her physical capabilities are different than mine, but we have a lot of common ground. Often we've even gone to the same drainage and she'll hunt the creekbottom for whitetails while I hike up higher for mule deer. And I get to pack out her moose for her when she draws Montana tags (I never have).
To the OP. How old are you? How long have you been hunting big game? Have you had some success in your hunts?

Answers to these question would be a good start to frame your question.

Wayne
My hunting buddy is a friend I've known for more 40 years. We've hunted together for a long time and pretty much know how to work together. We work together well and only disagree on one thing....politics. I'm trying to convert him but Democrats are just too damn stubborn.
Marry a good woman. If she won't go hunting with you, have a son with her. Teach him to hunt. I have a lot of hunting buddies but my son has been my favorite for the past 22 years.
Originally Posted by Ackleyman
Marry a good woman. If she won't go hunting with you, have a son with her. Teach him to hunt. I have a lot of hunting buddies but my son has been my favorite for the past 22 years.

There you go.
Sportsman's clubs are full of guys who are clueless, looking to piggyback off someone elses knowledge and experience, without having done the legwork themselves.

Get yourself prepared, experience success, and guys who know hunting seem to have a way of finding each other. Not many experienced hunters are willing to take on someone looking to be guided.

I met one guy that I hunt with at the gym. Eventually the conversation went to hunting. I've also met a few guys in church that I consider very reliable. It's amazing how the bored guys at social functions, wearing a camo jacket (up here in AK) seem to congregate and talk hunting.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Sportsman's clubs are full of guys who are clueless, looking to piggyback off someone elses knowledge and experience, without having done the legwork themselves.

Get yourself prepared, experience success, and guys who know hunting seem to have a way of finding each other. Not many experienced hunters are willing to take on someone looking to be guided.

I met one guy that I hunt with at the gym. Eventually the conversation went to hunting. I've also met a few guys in church that I consider very reliable. It's amazing how the bored guys at social functions, wearing a camo jacket (up here in AK) seem to congregate and talk hunting.

Yeah, nowadays it's rare that someone wants to make the time to mentor someone. Used to be a pretty common thing, but these days and with the self-entitlement syndrome so well entrenched in American society, no one wants to make time for anyone else.

And yes, sportsmen's groups are very much like nebulous websites such as this one; whereas there's a lot of inexperience being shown by various personalities who are trying to gather information.

Nevertheless, if a person would rather hunt with a partner or partners and doesn't have any who are readily available, internet and advertising media and local sportsmen's groups are good options to start from, as are local outdoor-oriented retail outlets.
I've done a "big" hunt with a guy I met on here. Great hunting partner and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'd be very careful though about selecting a partner off this site though.
Yeah, nowadays it's rare that someone wants to make the time to mentor someone. Used to be a pretty common thing, but these days and with the self-entitlement syndrome so well entrenched in American society, no one wants to make time for anyone else.

I dont think thats true at all...and I dont think thats what Calvin ment either.

Its a sorry SOB that wouldnt help out someone that is brand new to the sport. I've helped out a lot of people over the years, got them set up with equipment, showed them spots, showed them how to take care of their game, etc. etc. etc. A good many then go about developing their own hunting styles, finding their own areas, etc. etc. Thats great, I'll help people like that all day long.

What I grow tired of, is hunting "partners" that have about the same resources as I do...looking for a handout. It gets old when they dont want to research hunting areas, they dont want to scout, they dont want to drive their vehicles, they dont want to use their camping gear, etc. etc. etc.

But, be sure they're right there on opening day with a rifle and a tag...swirl in, blast the game you've scouted in the area you researched, and then swirl home. If you finally grow tired of that and tell them to pound sand, more than likely you'll find their sorry a$$es the next year hunting the spot you showed them...and again be all butt sore because you arent happy they're hunting your spot.

Hell with that, if I'm going to go through all that trouble and all they provide is splitting gas/food money...I'd rather just hunt alone.

I have no problem sharing spots with people I can trust, and I've been overwhelmed with some of the areas that people have shared with me. I never go back without them or at least without first calling and making sure they are OK with it.

I do believe that you're right about the self-entitlement, but I think its more about others thinkig they are entitled to your areas, your equipment, and your knowledge...and then not even showing the common courtesy to keep it to themselves or reciprocate down the road.

It gets old.

As mentioned above, I have three partners that have worked out for over 30 yrs, and I got invited into their camp. We are a serious lot with similar economic status and available time. Each has some specific talent or resource that contribute to camp life (cooking, game handling, horse wrangling, or specialized equipment) to elevate the entire experience.

Things happen when and where stated. If departure time is 05:00, that is when everyone leaves. Not 5 before or 5 after. If one is late, he understands he will drive himself and catch up. When it's a 2 week hunt, we are in camp and/or helping others for 2 weeks even if one tags out the first day. On mega trips we share all expenses.

If one invites another on say a week long fishing trip, we typically share food costs. When I invite someone along, it means I'm going whether they go or not, and there's no reason for them to chip in on transportation etc. We weeded one out, because he was a book keeping freak. He'd offer up an unsolicited cigar or drink, and then want to be compensated at the end of the trip.

We've extended half a dozen invitations over the years (including a couple sons), but none have worked out. Some can't stand being out of touch, and have to call wives or keep up on 49er's games. Others want to be boated or packed out as soon as they tag out, usually costing another party member a day of hunting/fishing time and screwing up menu planning and shared costs. And the absolute worst, have showed up next season on their own with 3 or 4 of their friends. That can bring out hatred on my part.

Typically we can shake out an individual with a one or two day outing, but on the front end it's anyones guess. Folks are not really true to form until one gets them out there. Lastly, hunters only make up about 10% of the population. Probably only 1 or 2% of those would make suitable partners for an extended trip. A forum like this or a local club are likely the best spots to get around a number of like minded individuals. Ones odd are not too great in church, on the links, or at little league.
I was going to say something, but BuzzH took the words right out of my mouth. Amen to what he said.
Have a grandson
post on Craigslist

I dont think thats true at all...and I dont think thats what Calvin ment either.

Its a sorry SOB that wouldnt help out someone that is brand new to the sport. I've helped out a lot of people over the years, got them set up with equipment, showed them spots, showed them how to take care of their game, etc. etc. etc. A good many then go about developing their own hunting styles, finding their own areas, etc. etc. Thats great, I'll help people like that all day long.

What I grow tired of, is hunting "partners" that have about the same resources as I do...looking for a handout. It gets old when they dont want to research hunting areas, they dont want to scout, they dont want to drive their vehicles, they dont want to use their camping gear, etc. etc. etc.

But, be sure they're right there on opening day with a rifle and a tag...swirl in, blast the game you've scouted in the area you researched, and then swirl home. If you finally grow tired of that and tell them to pound sand, more than likely you'll find their sorry a$$es the next year hunting the spot you showed them...and again be all butt sore because you arent happy they're hunting your spot.

Hell with that, if I'm going to go through all that trouble and all they provide is splitting gas/food money...I'd rather just hunt alone.

I have no problem sharing spots with people I can trust, and I've been overwhelmed with some of the areas that people have shared with me. I never go back without them or at least without first calling and making sure they are OK with it.

I do believe that you're right about the self-entitlement, but I think its more about others thinkig they are entitled to your areas, your equipment, and your knowledge...and then not even showing the common courtesy to keep it to themselves or reciprocate down the road.

It gets old.

Good for you, Buzz.
Your wifes ex husband is never a good choice.

Jayco
I hate to say this, but I pretty much hunt by myself, and
pretty much always have. I have hunted with all kinds, lazy,
inconsiderate, etc. One of my best friends growing up was a
good guy to hunt with, but anymore he's to drunk to do anything
on his days off, still a good friend though. My biggest gripe
is guys that dont stay put on a deer drive and inviting others
on a hunt without asking everyone else first.
Originally Posted by logcutter
Your wifes ex husband is never a good choice.

Jayco

But y'all would know some of the same "turf" and could compare notes grin
How do you get a good hunting partner- find something with real great ole big ole giant monster horns and call me. I will even tote your gun.

My 2 cents.

Good post by Buzz. For the most part, agreed.
I'll hunt with about 4 friends. I'm always the "leader". I let them know when I'm leaving and that they are welcome to ride with me, or they know where I'm going and are welcome to show up. I pack food and supplies for myself only. They know to bring their own chit and that I will be where I say I will be. Thats it. Sometimes I hunt/camp alone... sometimes I have company but I damn sure dont base my hunts around wether someone else can or cant make it.
Originally Posted by BobinNH

My 2 cents.

Good post by Buzz. For the most part, agreed.

Ditto here.

I have mentored quite a few guys and have shown them when/where/how to hunt.If someone is new to hunting, I don't have a problem helping them fill thier tag.A few years ago,I helped three others fill thier tag and then I filled mine. This year,I am helping my dentist who will only be able to getaway for a few days and he has only hunted elk last year in an area I sent him to. Shootinmg an elk isn't all that important to me any more.

My main hunting partner has been hunting wth me for over 16 years now.We have differnt hunting styles.He likes to sit,I like still hunt.It works out great.We both know that we can count one each other if things go wrong.

The last coule of years, physical ailments have impeded us, and I have ended up hunting alone, but I still like to have him go. Normally we decide what we are going to do and if schedules or desires don't click,each of us show up at different times or days at camp and we may leave differnt days. Each of us has done it and there are never hard feelings.

Another fellow might show up for only 3-4 days depending on his work schedules.I have hunted with him on and off for over 35 years. Same deal. I welcome him to my camp .

We each have our own camper or tent so there si no imposition and we each bring meals for 3-4.

I prefer not to hunt alone, but I do because it can be difficult planning ahead and sharing the same goals with everyone.

That being said, I've got a couple really good hunting partners.

One is my landlord/friend. We met when I moved to Colorado and moved into his place. He's a pretty serious hunter, but has a lot of demands on his time. Plus his wife can be extremely resentful if he has a lot of hunts back to back. I've helped him out on several hunts where I tagged along just because I wanted to, including a mountain goat hunt and a late bull elk hunt. He rarely hunts out of state, with the exception of Wyoming antelope. So, in this case the favor is not returned, but it doesn't bother me.

Another is a friend I met through a volunteer program (I'll second the notion that you can meet like minded folks in like minded organizations, like RMEF or MDF or similar). He does tag along on some of my other hunts, even when he doesn't have a license, just to scout it out for his future use. I've done the same for him, like when he drew a New Mexico elk tag a couple of years ago. He's married, but has no kids, so is quite a bit more flexible with his time. His wife is also much less resentful of his hunting time.
However, his main interest is really only elk and antelope. He doesn't care much about mule deer, which is too bad, because I'd like to do other out of state hunts with him. We are both accumulating elk points in Utah and Wyoming, but I'm also working the deer angle there and will likely be hunting those alone.

Lastly, I have my girlfriend. She enjoys hunting, but it isn't the most important thing in her life. Still, it's good to have her along, as long as we don't rough it too much. She wouldn't be the type to drop everything and tag along on an out of state adventure, unless it was to Alaska, which is where she's from.

I've got other friends that I hunt with, but there's a lot more teeth pulling involved with getting them to tag along on my hunts. It's never me joining them on their hunts because they mostly don't hunt without me.
Originally Posted by exbiologist
I prefer not to hunt alone, but I do because it can be difficult planning ahead and sharing the same goals with everyone.

That being said, I've got a couple really good hunting partners.

One is my landlord/friend. We met when I moved to Colorado and moved into his place. He's a pretty serious hunter, but has a lot of demands on his time. Plus his wife can be extremely resentful if he has a lot of hunts back to back. I've helped him out on several hunts where I tagged along just because I wanted to, including a mountain goat hunt and a late bull elk hunt. He rarely hunts out of state, with the exception of Wyoming antelope. So, in this case the favor is not returned, but it doesn't bother me.

Another is a friend I met through a volunteer program (I'll second the notion that you can meet like minded folks in like minded organizations, like RMEF or MDF or similar). He does tag along on some of my other hunts, even when he doesn't have a license, just to scout it out for his future use. I've done the same for him, like when he drew a New Mexico elk tag a couple of years ago. He's married, but has no kids, so is quite a bit more flexible with his time. His wife is also much less resentful of his hunting time.
However, his main interest is really only elk and antelope. He doesn't care much about mule deer, which is too bad, because I'd like to do other out of state hunts with him. We are both accumulating elk points in Utah and Wyoming, but I'm also working the deer angle there and will likely be hunting those alone.

Lastly, I have my girlfriend. She enjoys hunting, but it isn't the most important thing in her life. Still, it's good to have her along, as long as we don't rough it too much. She wouldn't be the type to drop everything and tag along on an out of state adventure, unless it was to Alaska, which is where she's from.

I've got other friends that I hunt with, but there's a lot more teeth pulling involved with getting them to tag along on my hunts. It's never me joining them on their hunts because they mostly don't hunt without me.

Hopefully you'll obtain a mule deer permit in Utah in the near future. There's some really nice bucks in several areas of the state. The extreme southwest corner and the central part of the state has some dandies. The east central region that spills over into your home state has a lot of nice looking bucks and it's a special place to hunt because of the aesthetic value. Best wishes on the eventual Utah deer hunt.
Eh, my hunting partner is a mellow guy that is open to hunting any style as long as we are hunting. He doesnt sweat the small stuff and the number one objective we have is to have fun. Never really had a bad trip with him and he rolls with the punches.

Last season I went with a older guy from work that had hunted here all his life. It was a goat rope from the start and he stressed me out to no end. Unorganized, unmotivated, and in general just lost. Worst trip Ive ever been on.
I have four ways that work, but each has a different goal:

1) Take someone new and plan on doing much of the hard work for them just to be nice.

2) Hunt with family that you know and trust to have similar styles as what you want to do.

3) Go with a group, have minimal expectations, try to have fun and just roll with whatever punches come while maintaining a cheerful attitude.

4) Plan your own serious hunt, and allow others to come if they want to, but don't do the work for them and don't bail them out.
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Ok maybe I'm going about this the wrong way or something. But I been trying to find someone that is interested in doing some out of state hunts.

Pray & ask God to send this person to you. There'll be no disappointments that way.
i always knew the time would come when i could not hack it anymore. i thought i would give out first. well this year the guys i go with have let me down. they say they cant take it any more and wont go west.
bummer, as i still think i got a couple more trips in me, but it sure is a long drive alone. ray
I was mentored by my grandfather and a couple of favorite uncles. They have all passed away, so now my hunting buddies are my brother, my father in law, and the son and daughter of a friend. The kids' father is out of the picture and no one in the immediate family is interested in hunting, so I stepped in and helped out. Not only are they great kids, but they are becoming proficient hunters.
Finding a person that is able to travel is the first step. Then it becomes a matter of being able to get along and being considerate.
I have hunted out of state DIY for the last 15 years. I have hunted with several guys,there has only been one bad apple.
I am not selfish per se and I enjoying seeing someone else be successful, even if once and a while they haven't put the effort in to it that I have.
Don't go in to any thing blindly and cover all your bases but there are plenty of decent people out there.
Besides my old man, I have met most of my best hunting partners from hunting sites like this one. Mostly Coueswhitetail and my top predator hunting partner, appropriately enough on predatormasters.com
An older gentleman that my dad knew and has since passed on,
always hunted by himself. He got a buck and a turkey every
and a black bear every two or three years. He always hunted
by himself and gave almost all of the meat away to friends
and neighbors. My dad knew a few guys who approached him
and asked to go hunting with him, his usual response was to
look at them like they were crazy or walk away from them.

Originally Posted by Calvin
I've done a "big" hunt with a guy I met on here. Great hunting partner and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I'd be very careful though about selecting a partner off this site though.

Ditto , anytime anywhere.

It gets old.

I like that answer

I have no problem teaching and sharing with anyone who shows a genuine interest in wanting to know everything that goes into it from start to finish, good bad and indifferent.

I have hunted with 2 guys from here and would hunt with either again at anytime neither hunt was no small venture by any means.
I've done probably a little over half of my western hunts by myself. I'd rather go with another person or two but most of my friends either can't or won't take off time for a hunt. I did go several years with a long time friend but we just don't make good travel and camp mates and I think 2010 was our last hunt. I'm pretty flexible on some things but on others I'm not and it became very apparent that we just didn't click as hunting trip partners.
I've made friends in Colorado and Utah whom I met while hunting and it is nice to know you will see a familiar face when you make a 1000+ mile drive solo. If I don't draw Utah this year I'll most likely be traveling to Wyoming to hunt with a member of another site. Although we have never met in person he has graciously invited me to come out and hunt with him. I told him a little about myself and my beliefs and he said it sounded okay. I'd much rather have company for the long drive--and the gas expense--but not if the company makes me grind my teeth. eek
This is a great thread because hunting partners have to be depended upon in so many ways. I hunted with my Dad and 2 brothers for years but they got old and fat and lost interest. I have a partner of 30 years that is solid but never wants to pay for anything. I have hunted with many people once. Some are whiners, some are not safe, and a lot of them are in it for the party not chasing game.

I value my one partner that is left because I know if it is the middle of the night in a snow storm and I get hurt he will get me out. I will do the same for him. We will be up in the dark making a serious effort every day unless it is a rest day. He will be of good humor. I will do the cooking but he will never complain about it. He will respect the animal that has given his life for us. He will not gloat about his success and will appreciate mine. He will pay his way and never backs out of a trip unless there is a serious reason. Hunting partners are some of the best friends you can have. Fishing partners are a little easier. Camping partners are easier yet.
I feel your pain and I have decided the only person I can count on is myself. I take this stuff seriously and I have no problem hunting with anyone but you have to take it seriously. Maybe I am being dramatic but it can be life and death.

I have several "friends" that hunt but none I would take on an out of state trip.

The only friend I used to hunt with unfortunately died at 35 from leukemia and I have not been able to replace him, we literally would have given our lives to save the other if need be.

That said, I am planning an antelope trip this fall with my wifes cousin with whom I have bird hunted with and had a good time. Hopefully he can be counted on but if he can't that will be the last time.

Gary
© 24hourcampfire