Home
This is tough, I guess when I used my sock fore a filter on the morn coffie. The best is easy, brook trout on a freash cut willow and a open fire ho my!
yep. Fresh trout fried in butter with potatoes and onions.

or in Canada shore lunch of fresh walleye and or pike with potatoes, onions.

I enjoy bannock bread too when camping.

Done fresh grouse a couple different ways, usually add it to something pre prepared like mountain house or something canned.
Sorry exbiologist but just what is mountain house?
Worse, cup a' noodles, but I don't think I've ever not finished one at a campsite.

Best, usually involve fresh abalone or spiney lobster.. Probably the most memorable was linguini and clam sauce made from pismo clams found on a deserted beach about 1/2 way down baja, with a 12 foot swell peeling long right lines down the point on the north of the bay.
Mountain house is freeze dried camp food that you add hot water to and chow.. if we are talking about the same thing. Their beef stew held me over freezing wedding tackle off on a bivvy hunt this year.
Thanks Tanner crap I had a moment!
Fresh sheep steaks.
Worst: Most anything freeze dried.
Best: Grouse breast with granny-smith apple slice inside, a couple strips of bacon wrapped around the outside, tinfoil wrapped and tossed in the coals to cook. Served with fried spuds and onions, thick crusty loaf, butter and washed down with an ice cold Canadian. Toss in some hot,fresh Saskatoon berry pie and you have heaven in the bush!
Best: Ribeyes from our local butcher and fried potatoes.

Worst: Ran out of food on a canoe trip and cooked a small mouth over an open fire with no seasoning.
T-bone and oat meal. The latter is banned on all trips except on those commercial outings where there are weight limits on gear/grub.
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Fresh sheep steaks.

Bingo. Sheep tenderloin sliced into kaboobs, sprinkled with salt. roasted on willow sticks over a willow/alder fire after 5 days of short rations.

You just ain't gonna beat that!

Worst? 1949 dated army K-rations Chef-boy-ar-de spagetti and meatball, eaten in '69 on an Idaho fire which we had put out and had to camp on for 24 hours to be sure it was dead. And no one had matches or a lighter...so we had to eat them cold- we'd put out the damned fire and couldn't find a hot spot anywhere! The soda biscuits we threw out in the woods, figuring the squirrels would eat them. NOT! The day after we were back at the Ranger Station, the District Ranger flew the remote fire site, and on his return, asked us about all those white spots around the outside of the fire-line. We told him "mushrooms" - it had rained lightly, and those soda biscuits hat swelled to about 5 inches high and 7 or 8 inches in diameter...

These same rations had -if I recall correctly - a cherry desert that had caused several cases of Tomaine poisioning. It was the best part of those rations!
Worst meal was elk ribs, I never had them before and never will again! Best was elk pepper steak over rice!
The best-- pot of chili slow cooked with a side dish of beans.

The worst-- pot of chili made by a fool that had no idea what chili was and a side of beans made by the same fool who didn't know how to cook beans.
In my younger days when we ruffed it..talking tents,Coleman stoves/heaters in occasional early November Sandhill blizzards anything hot was good grub.One of the guys always brought canned sardines and mixed em with oyster crackers which had to be the worst vile concoction for cold hungry hunters! Still can't stand to smell those damn things. sick
We don't make a habit of eating poorly in the field, or anywhere else. The worst was probably C-rats, though they really are not bad. Best? Well, at the end of elk camp we mixed together all the leftovers from the previous 10 days in a single pot and warmed it up. Everyone in camp loved it. It mmight not have beat the fresh venison steaks we had the first night in camp but it was darn good! We washed it down with plenty of Ranier beer. grin

Overall, it is tough to beat a ribeye or other such well-marbled beefsteak seasoned correctly and seared medium rare over a hardwood fire. It is, and always will be, a favorite in my family.

In the beer threads I never see mention of Ranier beer. It is what we drank in Idaho elk camp and we thought it was pretty good. Not craft/micro good, but pretty good. Does anyone else drink Ranier beer?
Like Big Red, we don't eat poorly. I refuse to eat anything that is made with hot water and you eat it out of plastic bag.Pure laziness. I always have a can of Spam in camp.When It gets to the point that I would have to open that, it is time to go home
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I always have a can of Spam in camp.When It gets to the point that I would have to open that, it is time to go home

grin That's funny right there. grin

I like spam. It contains both of the important food groups - salt and fat. grin
Best - Chili with beans, if you're not sharing a tent.

Worst - Chili with beans, if you are sharing a tent.
Originally Posted by doubletap

If you really want to spice up the tent, add copius amounts of garlic to the chili con frijoles. WHEW-EE!
Ugh.
Ranier beer. I toured thier brewery once when I was working on the docks in Seattle.It was so bad, we each drank about 1/2 a glass in thier pub room and left.
Best, fresh pheasant and ribeyes over a fire. Worst, when a guy decided to cook smoked oysters and fried potatoes together...
Best - a camp cook had access to a propane stove/oven, and spent 16 hours a day cooking, nearly every day. Everything from pike that tasted like lobster, to fresh caribou, to fresh home-made pies and other pastries, etc. That was the best I've ever eaten in my life, anywhere!!

2nd place - after a long day of hiking and packing camp into our remote elk hunting area (no motorized or horse travel allowed), half of a venison backstrap, slow-roasted over the smoky fire with salt and pepper until medium-rare. No wives around, means no vegetables! That steak simply melted in my mouth, and was some of the most succulent steak I've ever had!

worst - after lots of hiking, and arriving in camp well after dark, we often hit the sleeping bags after settling for some dehydrated goods like granola bars and dehydrated fruit. Sometimes sleep feels better and more satisfying than a nice, hot supper.
best....well most is great after a hard day, but

I made some bad hamburger helper this past year for elk camp in Colorado

I cooked it at 350 ft elevation a week before season then froze it here in southern Missouri then re-heated at 8000 ft in Colorado and burned the bottom and the noodles turned into a gravy'ish slime.....it ate and filled us up but wasn't to good.

Sorry guys in camp.....I'll do better
OK saddlesore - the knives are coming out! smile

My points of friendly disagreement are as follows:

You have horses, I have my back.

I have up to 16 hours of daylight to hunt in, and I do - which puts a serious crimp in camp/cook/sleep time.

I ain't out there to eat well - or drink booze, either. When I'm hunting, I'm hunting! Top Ramen for supper, instant oatmeal for breakfast - tho I load up my quart sized zip-lock mid-day bags with cheese, sausage, pilot biscuit, gorp, pop-tarts and candy bars.

Of course, riverhunting out of the boat or road hunting out of the camper improves the diet- and sometimes personal hygeine -over backpacking it...

After a week or 10 days of back-pack hunting, I'm definetely ready for a 14 oz T-bone, baked potato with butter and sour cream, salad, and maybe a bit of lobster or crab.... And beer. Definately a few brewskis....

And I like SPAM - it would be a treat oftentimes... smile
Don't eat GRUBS.
And you know this because.......????
Quiet simply.

The best is anything you're eating in camp cooked over the fire.

It is really hard to say "the worst" even outta a bag or can.

Some of the best things we had whilst in our base camp.

BBQ ribs
Cole Slaw
Fired potatoes and onions
with
Peach Cobbler with Vanilla Ice cream for dessert.

after you spend a few weeks at a time then next time you go in we always tried to be a bit more creative.

We've done a Lasagna and a 3 layer cake.

Then the typical's..

tenderloins, steaks...
For dessert, peach or berry cobbler done in a dutch oven, and topped with sweet cream and then whipped cream while the cobbler is still warm.I don't have the means to keep ice cream in camp. Either way sure is good though.

There are several parameters that limit what we can eat in camp. However, I have always subscribed to the notion that I don't like to change my diet too much just because I am camping /hunting. Even if I packed a camp in on mules,we still ate good,but I can see if one carried everything on his/her back, some alterations have to be made.Precisely the reason I don't do that. I have always have two requirements, good food, and a good warm bed. With those almost anything else can be tolerated, with maybe the exception of poor hunting partners which I don't tolerate.

In my younger days, I have heated a can of pork and beans over an open fire and considered that ok. Not so much any more. Leaving camp in the morning with a full belly of good food that will stay with you and sitting down to a good evening meal after a hard days hunt will let you go longer and hunt harder, rather than getting back to camp and crawling into the sleeping bag dead tired.

If I were to pay some one $5000 for an elk hunt,I would expect good food,I expect no less from myself.
Don't recall ever having a bad meal. The best, by far, was a wonderful mix of mtn goat, stone sheep, moose and elk tenderloin. The stone won, unanimously, by a group of seven. All wonderfully cooked by this young lady.

[Linked Image]
SS,

We don't change the way we eat either. After all when you run a few stings of 6 there is lots of stuff you can get to camp.

Dry ice is easily packable and it's get stuff there super cold.

We also organize and pack coolers in layers according to days and meals planned. That way the frozen stuff is only open/exposed minimally.

Dutch oven cooking is a camp favorite we have many "walk away" meals that we plan. You know the type where you pack the dutch oven and the pack it in coals and cover it w/dirt to come home to supper ;-)

2 wood stoves with oven betwixed them in the cook tent helps. lots.
Well, frankly, I don't try to cook anything really tasty in camp. It needs to supply my energy needs, first, and other nutrional needs second.
I've eaten a few things that I hope I'm never forced to eat again. Spam because it's full of salty nitrites. Very bad if you are out in a really dry environment and fighting dehydration. Yeah, I know. It the only really effective way to make it keep way back then. We've come a very long way since then.
The other is Dinty Moore Beef Stew. Many a night, I've opened a can, thrown out a few potatoes, and gravy so I could heat it up on the camp fire grill, or on my back packing stove. Never again !
It's really amazing how stuff that doesn't taste good at home can taste so good out in the mountains. When I need to snack, I never eat Cliff Bars or Power Bars at home. But, in the mountains, those things have literally saved the day. E
Originally Posted by Tony
Don't recall ever having a bad meal. The best, by far, was a wonderful mix of mtn goat, stone sheep, moose and elk tenderloin. The stone won, unanimously, by a group of seven. All wonderfully cooked by this young lady.

[Linked Image]

ummm I u ummm what was the question?
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by Tony

[Linked Image]

ummm I u ummm what was the question?

Christ, she was only 16.
Best - Taters and Onions

Worst - Tag Soup
I learned to eat pretty much anything that was put in front
of me when I was in the USArmy.
[Linked Image]
Best- fresh elk tenderloin cooked "cowboy style" over an open fire after 7 days of crap food.

Worst- Mountain house, straight out of the bag with no water... crunchy! Didn't sheeot for a whole week.
Fresh grouse breast grilled as fajitas over an open fire,homemade tortillas and a big pot of good chili.Worst had to be my dads fried egg sandwiches with ketchup and a big slice of raw onion.They only got worse when served cold at midmorning in the duckblind !
Worst - a member of our hunting party who is not a very good cook thought my idea for precooking enchiladas/stew/etc. and only having to reheat to save time at camp without sacrificing deliciousness was wonderful. So wonderful that for his turn to cook dinner he brought out some precooked (dried out at home) low grade pork chops and reheated them (applied extra burn marks) on the bbq for dinner one night. Those chops were so bad it was hard to tell what was meat and what was bone.
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by doubletap

If you really want to spice up the tent, add copius amounts of garlic to the chili con frijoles. WHEW-EE!

Shallots > Garlic for gas factor. In case anyone was doing "research".
The best, a grouse and a squirrel that I shot about 1/2 hour before I cooked them on a piece of slate.

I just sat down when I found the rock, skinned the game and built a stick fire under the rock. Just happened to have a salt/pepper pack in my backpack.

The worst, was invited to hunt with some guys and they tried to cook ribeyes and taters in foil, in the embers.

Boot leather has better flavor and texture.
Best - Elk Stew. Make a big pot and a mess of cornbread muffins before I leave in a big dutch oven and heat it up every night until it's gone.

Second best (when I don't have any elk left) - Sausage, Peppers and Potato packets. Just take some good kelbasa or italian sausage (venison, pork), and slice it thick. Cube up potatoes, chop some onions and red and orange peppers, and package it up with butter, salt & pepper wrapped in foil. Throw it in the coals and within about 30 minutes, the smell will have you and the bears licking your chops!
Worst: Salted cod not done very well.
More worst: snow shoe rabbit, tougher than any tire ever built.
Even more worst: squirrel, similar ro the snowshoe.
I've learned how not to cook a lot of stuff, sometimes several times over.
Been lots of best meals, some as simple as a hotdog & sauerkraut, or even an MRE, at the right place & time.
Perhaps my favorite "end of the day in camp" best is a bourbon or scotch & spring water, but then, the next one is always the best one.
Best, "catch of the day" deer backstrap fillets on the grill, some little canned taters sauted in butter and parsley and whatever sorta greens were available. Had some once that were marinated in maple syrup, soy sauce and brown sugar, that were pretty damn tasty.

Worst, an Appian Way pizza mix during deer camp many years ago. Don't know what the guy did wrong, but it was inedible.

The remnants laid out in the camp dooryard for days, unmolested by skunks, possums and other vermin. By the fourth or fifth night, we took turns flicking on the porch light and pronouncing that it was now surrounded by dead critters with their little feets in the air and their bellies distended from the pizzen.

We never had another one at deer camp, but we always rooted in the guy's grocery sack when arriving at camp and expressed some "disappointment" that he hadn't fetched another one along that year.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
For dessert, peach or berry cobbler done in a dutch oven, and topped with sweet cream and then whipped cream while the cobbler is still warm.I don't have the means to keep ice cream in camp. Either way sure is good though.

There are several parameters that limit what we can eat in camp. However, I have always subscribed to the notion that I don't like to change my diet too much just because I am camping /hunting. Even if I packed a camp in on mules,we still ate good,but I can see if one carried everything on his/her back, some alterations have to be made.Precisely the reason I don't do that. I have always have two requirements, good food, and a good warm bed. With those almost anything else can be tolerated, with maybe the exception of poor hunting partners which I don't tolerate.

In my younger days, I have heated a can of pork and beans over an open fire and considered that ok. Not so much any more. Leaving camp in the morning with a full belly of good food that will stay with you and sitting down to a good evening meal after a hard days hunt will let you go longer and hunt harder, rather than getting back to camp and crawling into the sleeping bag dead tired.

If I were to pay some one $5000 for an elk hunt,I would expect good food,I expect no less from myself.

Yeah, but then you have to poop a couple times a day, instead of every 2 or 3 days...

Can I come hunt with you? smile
Worst had to be back in the days when I tented it and the weather was bad, but I haven't a clue what it would have been except quick and easy.

To many good ones to remember the best, but a shore lunch of pan fried Canadian walleye would be very high on the list.
Fried taters and fresh brook trout and for the worst..Liver and onions.

Jayco
Best is any fresh tenderloin grilled on a stick with fresh tortillas and a little pepperjack cheese.

Worst is anything over cooked to the point you are choking it down and need a ton of water. Number 2 on the worst list is warm beer because you ran out of ice and its 90 degrees outside.
Coyote Hunter I will double dang the walleye eya.
+1 on walleye shore lunches. Shlurp!

[Linked Image]

Beans and hot dog are definitely the worst. A [bleep] brained cousin pulled that [bleep] out on his day to cook. I won't eat that [bleep].

Halibut or Elk/Deer backstap are what I prefer. I'd even be happy with chromer salmon.
I pack along three cheese quesadillas. Provolone, Monterrey Jack, and a little bit of goat cheese.

Now I am hungry for one.
I used to make deep fried, battered mushrooms as an appetizer every year in Elk Camp but nobody ever wanted dinner afterwards so I quit --- I still miss them! frown
The big hit in our camp is hand built sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast. Brother and I gave up trying to bake biscuits in camp so make them ahead of time now and just warm them. Nobody sleeps in the morning that we have this. Three meat barbeque in the dutch comes in second.
Originally Posted by sandcritter
+1 on walleye shore lunches. Shlurp!

[Linked Image]

Oh jeez. I swear I can smell them when I look at that pic.
Hot-dogs! eek

Best and Worst!! confused

All depends on how hungry, you are!!! laugh

Saturday Night last Hunting Season--- Best or the worst ??? fresh baked bread, baked beans, broiled garlic butter brook trout and thick venison steak chateaubriand style. Many moons ago a guest at camp made creamed onions and used eggnog instead of cream. It went out the back door. --- Web [Linked Image]
Wow wldthg I would ask about the steak,but it is a big word?
Best - Bowhunr's ribeye steaks

Worst - spam, no matter how it is cooked.
Fresh whitetail liver cooked over a Coleman stove with plenty of onions. A celebration of a successful hunt as well as a meal great meal shared with the best hunting partner I ever had.
I really like fresh grouse. Roll the pieces in a little seasoned salt/pepper/flour and fry it in a cup of vegetable oil and a stick of real butter. Grill some asparagus spears with a little olive oil. That makes a great meal!

Bob
Oh, and it helps if at least 75% of the feathers are removed before you cook it! It seems like those cooked-in-the-field birds always have a few feathers hidden somewhere.

Bob
The worst: tuna helper with just water nothing else. Best: fresh Elk tenderloin.
eggs, backstrap and country gravy, hashbrowns, coffee

For sure
Best: Fresh from the stream trout.

Worst: Squirrel and Rolling Rock P-water in the can.
The "cook" forgot the grub and just brought a case of Rolling Rock swell in the can. I killed the squirrel because I had to have something other than "beer" in my stomach. Squirrel roasted over a fire is not good. I'm glad no Christian gentlemen where along due to my salty language and foul disposition.
My partner and I have been hunting together for close to 20 years. It took exactly 1 trip to decide that we'd take our own food. His diet was atrocious. In recent years, he's developed a mild case of diabetes and now his diet it even more atrocious.
In years past, he had a standard supper recipe: boil white rice, dump in some frozen corn, and add a couple hot dogs. He'd eat that every night for a week.
Now that he has the diabetes, he eats nuts by the pound, along with a couple conglomerations that I have no idea what's in them.

The best steak I ever ate. Caribou tenderloins butterflied and marinated in Montreal Steak seasoning then broiled over the coals of an open campfire.
[Linked Image]

The worst camp grub I've ever eaten was freeze-dried eggs. No matter how I try to disguise them they still taste like cardboard marinated in cow $hit. How do I know what cardboard marinated in cow $hit tastes like? I don't, but it must taste like freeze-dried eggs.

KC

The worst was some shot up Caribou shoulder that cook did his best with since the outfitter didn't send in any grub in on a fly in Moose hunt I was on in Newfoundland. The best, was fresh Red Salmon I was catching after doing my flying in the morning. Caught a lot of reds that few weeks were we were. Ate good real good, an the fishing was fantastic.
I love grouse too but.... Once on an elk hunt with my dad I took the biggest blue grouse of my life. Huge bird. I put him in the dutch oven with a couple of cornish game hens, taters, carrots, mushrooms etc. Those hens were falling apart tender and delicious. That big blue was tough as hell and not very flavorful. I took care of it for the pot from the second after I picked it up to the fork. No telling sometimes.

Mark
Steak and taters Its good anywhere, but something about camp makes it so much better.
[Linked Image]

Seasoned with the lil chicken flavor packet outta a pack of top ramen. By far the best grouse I have ever had.
[Linked Image]

OH and Veanna sausages would rank the worst camp food

Once, while rabbit hunting with a .22, I made a fantanstically lucky snap shot to kill a flying pheasant. The bullet went right up the length of his spine. The meat was hard as a rock. My guess is that it had something to do with nerves and being shot along the spine. It was literraly inedible because the meat was so hard that you couldn't chew it.

KC

Best = Red deer back straps and red wine.
Worst = nothing, a washed out camp with everything drenched, no fire, bedding, and cold, to wrap the night up in all on top of a considerably broken down car. Ended up hitching home and sleeping on a cold concrete disused public toilet floor in a T shirt and shorts.

What fun.

John
Dinty Moore Beef stew for Breakfast, Lunch and dinner. Cold if my dad was in a hurry.
The best meal is the same. A cherished yearly event for almost every year of 23 years I've owned my deer camp. Deer camp stew on gun season eve or opening day eve. Always goes with the " grand prayer" to bless the camp and a safe hunt. Some years were so lean on deer meat we did use beef a few times however.
We will all bring some wild game dish pre-made in a large container. Something like elk chili, pheasant stroganoff, antelope chow mein, or thereabouts.

Later in the week we get sick of washing dishes and it becomes fresh elk on a stick over the campfire.
My worst....ever. 5# elk roast, taters, onions, carrots.....all to be perfect, but you know when you leave camp to go elk chasing.......things happen.

[Linked Image]
No excuse for bad camp food. Even Cup-O-Noodles taste good when camping. However, my Cup-O-Noodles are rarely ever used. grin

Fish camp coffee;
[Linked Image]

Rainbow trout;
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Deer camp steak and pickled quail eggs;
[Linked Image]

Pronghorn tenderloin;
[Linked Image]

Dove hunt vittles;
[Linked Image]

Rendezvous camp venison stew;