Home
Posted By: Greenhorn best black bear caliber - 04/08/12
What is it? I've been using a 300RUM with 200ABs, have shot them with others, but I'm thinking of switching to a .223 this year. I'm loading up some ammo tonight for the spring hunt.

What's the best caliber and load?

Also, how old are you and how many elk have you shot? - just so I know if your opinion should matter or not. laugh
22 Jet, 13 yrs old and have yet to see an elk but I have 13 elk guns...grin

40 NBT would be model perfecto in that 223 (or at least I know of one Spudsville cinnyminni bruin that thought so)

Dober
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: best black bear caliber - 04/08/12
I don't have time to reload much, but threw some 62grain barnes tsx bullets together and shot this group at 120yards on a windy day. It's going to have to work. 3090fps average.
[Linked Image]
Me thinks that'd work just fine, might be a skosh over gunned though may wanna drop to the 53 TSX... cool

Dober
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: best black bear caliber - 04/08/12
Figured my average shot on a bear is about 80 yards, should work.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: best black bear caliber - 04/09/12
This crap is getting real old dudes......
Posted By: Partagas Re: best black bear caliber - 04/09/12
I think its funny.
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: best black bear caliber - 04/09/12
You don't want to see stars when you shoot your bear this year?
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I don't have time to reload much, but threw some 62grain barnes tsx bullets together and shot this group at 120yards on a windy day. It's going to have to work. 3090fps average.
[Linked Image]

Nice, going to be hard to beat that load....
Ah heck, next time he'll shoot off a bench instead of offhand then he'll beat it...grin

Dober
Laffin...it'll probably work at 80 yds but you better close your eyes just to make it fair.
What is it? I've been using a 300RUM with 200ABs, have shot them with others, but I'm thinking of switching to a .223 this year. I'm loading up some ammo tonight for the spring hunt.

Also, how old are you and how many elk have you shot? - just so I know if your opinion should matter or not. laugh

First off, I don't know why hunters have to be so racist and only worry about the black ones.

I'm currently working on the "best" if Barnes will ever cooperate. I'm trying to get them to produce a 73gr TTTSX for my 358STA. It should be great for bears of any color. And yes, the extra T does make a difference.

As far as the age, my wife says I act like a F*****g child, but I'm not sure what age that is. I did see some pictures of elk and they didn't look that big. Only about two inches tall, so I wouldn't worry about them while bear hunting.
Hey I'm still waiting for Barns to get their poop in a group and offer up a 33 grain TTSX for the 204. Then...I'd own a 204!

Dober
Posted By: logcutter Re: best black bear caliber - 04/09/12
A large majority of Bears around here fall to .22 Mags from an outfitter...It's not the caliber but the shooter...

Greenhorn...In your case may I recommend a .460 Weatherby.You sure luvs to stir the pot as of late.Was this another high octane post...

Jayco laugh laugh
Posted By: TheTone Re: best black bear caliber - 04/10/12
Originally Posted by logcutter
A large majority of Bears around here fall to .22 Mags from an outfitter...It's not the caliber but the shooter...

Greenhorn...In your case may I recommend a .460 Weatherby.You sure luvs to stir the pot as of late.Was this another high octane post...

Jayco laugh laugh

So you're saying that you know of lots of bears are being illegally harvested by outfitters?
Posted By: duckster Re: best black bear caliber - 04/10/12
.35 Whelen, IMO
Posted By: southwind Re: best black bear caliber - 04/10/12
Have you seen the new 17 Hornet? Just sayin
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: best black bear caliber - 04/10/12
62gr TSX is a stone dead killer!
Posted By: hung Re: best black bear caliber - 04/10/12
like duckster i love the 35 whelen for black bear.
lower recoil and smacks em but good an generally exits when a heavy bullet is used.
Posted By: Big Sky Re: best black bear caliber - 04/11/12
Greenhorn, your thinking is all backwards. You need this little lightweight mountain rifle. Anything less is well just plain girly.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BrentD Re: best black bear caliber - 04/11/12
.22 rimfire, I'm 6 and I've killed 129 elk so far...

Where is the rolling eyes icon?????
Posted By: redfoxx Re: best black bear caliber - 04/11/12
You will need several high capacity magazines for that 223, and I'm assuming of course that you're carrying that caliber in an AR platform. You never know when you'll encounter a "SHTF" situation when out hunting, like a group of communist guerrilla fighters out in the wilderness looking for a government to overthrow or something. Have to be prepared for everything you know, and with the high cap mag's you'll want a full auto conversion on the AR so you can spray some serious lead at one of those black bears when they charge you which they are certain to do. Just watch your back in the event the bear is working for the guerrillas and simply creating a diversion as they flank your six.

Finally a serious hunting thread! smirk

The 223 with 70-90 grain Sierra Matchkings should be good out to 300 yards ... even out to 500 if you keep the bullet in the vitals. Drill the HP out a bit larger for expansion at long range. I also fire harden the base of the jacket with a torch for controlled expansion at close range. I would advise getting a tighter twist barrel to increase bullet revolutions so they penetrate deeper. If you increase the revs with a tight twist and have a high BC bullet they will out-penetrate a TSX or a solid--especially if you use a moly coating on them. laugh Additionally the high BC will keep them in straight line penetration even if they tumble. I've never seen a bear yet that walked away from a hit with this combination.

Since you have the reach with this rig, I would consider a 6x18x50mm scope with target dots and target turrets as this will give you the greatest range and hunting hours flexibility. You can get the dots set for the 100 yard increments use the turrets to compensate for the yardage in between the 100s. The center cross-hairs should be heavier posts for close range low light shooting and the dots should be small for long distance shooting. I would use see-thru mounts in case its foggy in the valleys in the early mornings or if you get a shot that is too close for 6x.

I would use camo tape on the muzzle, a point often overlooked for still hunting, as the muzzle is the first thing the bear would see. I always use a scent-lock Ghillie suit in case of a charge as they won't be able to locate you and will give you the time needed for a follow-up shot.

As for my experience--I have shot truckloads of "elk-class" game.

Let me know if you need any further advice.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: best black bear caliber - 04/11/12
Hang the pic of when you and that little blonde went to recover your bear from a few years ago.
You don't need a big gun for black bear. Get a BAR, load it with 200 grain Partitions at 2700 fps. Only eight or ten rounds in the chest should slow him down. smile

Wayne
Posted By: reddnek Re: best black bear caliber - 04/14/12
I personaly like the 35 Remington
© 24hourcampfire