Home
Posted By: Bearcat74 Danner Elk Hunters - 04/30/12
Guys, what are you using to protect the leather on your Danner Elk Hunters? I use the Danner Boot Dressing on my other boots but these Elk Hunters have a different feel and look to the leather.

The Danner dressing says to not use on Nubuc leather, is that what the Elk Hunters are?

Thanks
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 04/30/12
Snow seal is my fav
Posted By: bethalhntr Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 04/30/12
Obenauf's

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=30
Posted By: BWalker Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 04/30/12
Montana Pitch Blend.
Posted By: ribka Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 04/30/12

X2 good stuff. Put seam seal around the rand too
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 04/30/12
Yep, obernaufs
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 04/30/12

Obenauf's

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=30

Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 05/01/12
Thanks guys. I called Danner and they said not to use their boot dressing on the elk hunters since they were suede, will this Obenauf's work with suede?

If they only thing that makes it "not work" is the fact that suede doesn't look like suede then I'm fine with that. I prefer my boots to be waterproof and function as opposed to looking suede-y.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 05/01/12
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Thanks guys. I called Danner and they said not to use their boot dressing on the elk hunters since they were suede, will this Obenauf's work with suede?

If they only thing that makes it "not work" is the fact that suede doesn't look like suede then I'm fine with that. I prefer my boots to be waterproof and function as opposed to looking suede-y.

I don't work for Danner, but I'd say use Obenaufs on suede. Turning back water and dirt is more important than keeping it suede-y. Obenaufs is all natural and won't harm leather----------it's actually good for it. Your only possible concern would be eventually clogging up a Goretex membrane if you work enough Obenaufs through the leather. But still, I'd rather have the leather waterproof than trust Goretex.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 05/01/12
I wouldn't worry about the looks. Once you treat suede it looks like rough out leather.

Do a search on Bees Wax for boots here. I am a convert but modify it by treating new leather with the Obenaufs, Motana Pitch or Huberds and then treating the entire foot part with the pure bees wax and heat gun method. Do the wax twice and it will last through the hunt unless you are in scree or crusty snow.

I would do the entire boot if I was hunting in deeper snow or the PNW. Good gaiters help in snow or mud and make leather boots more versatile. Keep a pair of packs as a back up, or at least extra socks. Extra socks can help even with the packs.
Posted By: boomwack Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 05/02/12
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Yep, obernaufs

+1
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 05/02/12
Originally Posted by BWalker
Montana Pitch Blend.

+1 Its all I ever use. I have used the Danner boot dressing on my work/military boots in the past, I think it is about worthless. It wears off quick and doesn't make a polish, it does soften leather though.

Nothing like the smell of Montana Pitch Blend. Except burnt gunpowder and a cool fall breeze.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Danner Elk Hunters - 05/05/12
Thanks guys
© 24hourcampfire