Home
I am looking at a farm in TN that is about 350 acres. Probably 25% wooded with huge fields. Have spotted several deer and turkey on the property.

Can anyone disclose what you are paying per acre or suggest a price?

In east Texas, we are giving $8 an acre from Plum Creek Timber Co. It's the average around here.
Prime hunting land in New Jersey starts at $35/acre and goes up pretty quickly. Some of the best deer hunting areas are $75/acre, there ain't much of it here!
paper company land in Tennessee that I lease usually is around 6.50 an acre and has been that price for several years
Most timber companies I have worked with typically set the lease price to cover property tax on their property as a starting point. Some larger ones will do an auction on properties so it's supply and demand.
I was blissfully unaware of those costs. Makes me realize just how lucky I am to have hundreds of thousands of acres available for a few hundred dollars in gas/ferry costs and can easily find areas where I probably will not see anyone all day once I am half a mile from the truck! It also makes me sad to think the next few generations will not have it so good through their lifetime(s).
We are paying $8.00/acre here in Southwest Virginia.
Personally, I wouldn't pay to hunt on any land. The "landowner" does not own the deer. If someone wants me to pay money to hunt there, I just move on.

My BIL hit me with the idea of paying him a thousand dollars to hunt on land I hunted all my life without paying a dime. I just walked away without saying a word. I don't need to hunt his precious frickin' land. Screw that. There's plenty of other land just as good, or even better, where I don't have to pay.
Fortunately for me I live adjacent to a 2.1 million acre national forest. Although it's not all-you-can take zoned, it still has plenty of deer and turkey. I've thought about buying some land in northern or western Kentucky in a zone 1 county which allows you to take all the does you can find, I just don't find 3-4 deer a year enough to fill my freezers for a year. My wife doesn't hunt and my son is 3 years old, so he still has a few years before he can bring home 4.
Originally Posted by Tennessee
I am looking at a farm in TN that is about 350 acres. Probably 25% wooded with huge fields. Have spotted several deer and turkey on the property.

Can anyone disclose what you are paying per acre or suggest a price?

Until our hunting lease(400 acres)was sold some yrs back to a developer we paid the yearly property taxes for the owner. Make that offer.
About $8-9 an acre in Central Va also.
I'd find out how many slots are on the lease (and filled), you will run into those owners that are into turning a profit over leasing hunting land at a decent rate. Is it year round access?

I agree with the rates listed, that's about average in my area.
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

My BIL hit me with the idea of paying him a thousand dollars to hunt on land I hunted all my life without paying a dime. I just walked away without saying a word. I don't need to hunt his precious frickin' land.

Is he, ummmm, paying the taxes on said land?
I just moved into the middle Tennessee area if you're looking for someone to share expenses PM me
I just paid $1750 for 326 acres in western KY. Great hunting area too. Probably 125 acres of woods. It's really broken up nicely.

With that being said, the typical price around here is $10 per acre with some landowners getting $20.
Where at in Tn?
Gainesboro
$11.16 an acre for my place in Coryell County, Texas.
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Personally, I wouldn't pay to hunt on any land. The "landowner" does not own the deer. If someone wants me to pay money to hunt there, I just move on.

My BIL hit me with the idea of paying him a thousand dollars to hunt on land I hunted all my life without paying a dime. I just walked away without saying a word. I don't need to hunt his precious frickin' land. Screw that. There's plenty of other land just as good, or even better, where I don't have to pay.

It is a good thing that there are public lands to hunt.
Lucky for us we live in Colorado. I'll quit before I'll pay to hunt (other than license fees etc).
20 dollars an acre here for green timber (duck hunting). numerous rice fields are also leased on an annual/season basis. i've gotten 5k for an 88 acre field for several years now.

seems to me the lease costs vary dependent upon game hunted. chicago/new york lawyers love their duck hunting. i know a couple land owners who lease some of their woods for deer hunters, and they make far less on the deer ground than they do for rice fields.
post deleted.
I don't see how you guys do it. If I had to pay close to a 1,000 for a hunting lease I would just rather buy a black Angus steer and have it processed. I hunt on public land, yes more competition but saves money, and most people there don't hunt small game. I may be priced out of hunting altogether, I guess I will just do more fishing. that being said I don't begrudge the land owners charging fees, they have the right to make a profit off their land.
It's gotten up to around $6.50/acre here in North La and seems to jump .25-.50 about every 3 years. Some timber COs are starting to look at it as profit instead of tax coverage as our timber Co lands have doubled in the last few years, yet taxes havent made near the increase.

I'm in two leases now, but I'm also lucky enough to have a good bit of family land in several areas. I'll probably keep paying the lease dues until they hit $8/acre, then it's back to family lands and my personal land. The way I look at it is I can pay just a bit more than the leases and go to a different state and see more and bigger bucks in just a few days than I'll see here in years of paying leases. It would be far cheaper to just pay for hunts as far as trophies are concerned, I can fill the freezer with does killed on my own place when it comes down to it.

loder
I dunno. I'd guess to take your monthly payments for the land being leased and multiply it by 12. Add in reasonable cost of repairs/upgrades/maintanance (is it the property itself or the land behind it?). Multiply the subtotal by 1.1 and you have your yearly lease rate, which covers a monthly bank payment and a 10% profit to you.
© 24hourcampfire