Home
Posted By: dennisinaz Bear season starts Friday! - 08/09/12
Our first hunt of the season opens Friday. It actually coincides with my week off! Too bad it is going to be 110+ this weekend. I have been working feverishly on the trailer getting the A/C ready for the weekend! There is no way in heck to sleep when it is that hot!
Good luck on your hunt. I leave tomorrow for my hunt and wouldn't mind crossing paths with one!
Good luck, wish it were me!
Posted By: GregW Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/10/12
Good luck Dennis -

Hope you see a toad -
Posted By: mudhen Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/10/12
Good hunting, friend. Find a big one!
Our first hunt of the season opens Friday.

Good luck to you. Blue and I had a chance to go bear hunting at Quemado, just running the dogs, but I did not figure my bum knee would let me keep up. That fellow was intense. grin miles
Posted By: azcoues Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/10/12
this little guy when back up in the mtns once it rained

Attached picture phpEOT7hsPM.jpg
Posted By: mudhen Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/11/12
That's got to be someone's pet!
Posted By: azcoues Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/11/12
story has it this isn't the big one - and there is a perfect blond sow runnin in them hill too!
Good luck to ya, If it is that hot out your gonna need it.
It was brutally hot. I glassed up a few deer but by 1:00pm it was 105 F. I went to a spot that was a little higher and found 6 camps in this spot! Went further back in where there was no people sign and found a really big bear but too hot to do anything about it. I will go back Thursday as it is supposed to be 15 degrees cooler by then and try again.
Curious, what kinda hide will a bear have in temps like that?
Some are rubbed, some aren't. Definitely not luxurious. I only look for a trophy boar this early in the year. Some guys just want to get their color phase bears and don't care if it is thick or thin.
The sow hunters were out in force and the season was to close about as quick as it opened. As the prickly pears are a narrow window food source, I rushed back out yesterday and set up to hunt today. Glassed up three bears right off. One was a genuine toad. As it was the color phase that my buddy wanted, I gave him the chance to shoot it. He missed! (long story).

When the black one came out We watched it and decided it was a boar so I poked it. Did not make a great shot. Had a tracking job and finally finished him off.

Can't fault the 260 AI, just the trigger puller.

Best part was we only had to pack it 1/4 mile to where we could get the ranger.

I even wore my campfire hat whistle

[Linked Image]
Nice bear
Posted By: ribka Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/16/12
Nice bear!

Big congrats

1/4 mile pack out icing on the cake

Originally Posted by dennisinaz
The sow hunters were out in force and the season was to close about as quick as it opened. As the prickly pears are a narrow window food source, I rushed back out yesterday and set up to hunt today. Glassed up three bears right off. One was a genuine toad. As it was the color phase that my buddy wanted, I gave him the chance to shoot it. He missed! (long story).

When the black one came out We watched it and decided it was a boar so I poked it. Did not make a great shot. Had a tracking job and finally finished him off.

[Linked Image]
Good job. Congrats on the bear! Going with a rug?
Congrats Dennis!!
Posted By: pointer Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/16/12
I think spot/stalk hunting of bears in that type of country would be way cool! Congrats!
I am torn between doing another rug and a shoulder mount (with front legs). Depends on whether the taxi thinks they can fix my bullet hole in the leg (don't ask).
Nice bear! In generalities where were you hunting? I never believed how many bears were in AZ until I was down there myself.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/16/12
Way to go, Dennis! Jeff missed???
No, Todd missed. Lost his rangefinder on the drive in. He is lost without it! Jeff didn't go.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Nice bear! In generalities where were you hunting? I never believed how many bears were in AZ until I was down there myself.

This bear was in unit 23S if that tells you anything. Sierra Ancha range.
Posted By: krp Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/18/12
Great bear Dennis!

And yep, there's a bear or two around there...

Congrats buddy!

Kent
Posted By: azcoues Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/18/12
guess ya just missed by the fire - huh

nice bear - we liked the first bowl on the left of picture - lol
Cool, nice bear. I tried to find one in unit 6B but no luck. Called in a bobcat but no bears. It was like 95 degrees on Saturday up on the rim of Oak Creek!
It was impossibly hot on Fri/Sat. Weds morning was nice until about 10 am.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/19/12
Nice bear

Moose opened here on Wed.Plus 33 imagine a few have been taken.But too hot for me.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

[Linked Image]
Very nice
My buddy that missed the one when I shot this one redeemed himself and shot one in the same general areas on Friday night. I have the photo on my phone camera and not uploaded to photobucket yet. Knarly old boar with an eye missing and a chewed up face!
Posted By: Bobcat Re: Bear season starts Friday! - 08/29/12
Congrats Dennis! Good job!

Bob
© 24hourcampfire