Home
Posted By: Tanner Which Garmin? - 12/06/12
Looking into a Garmin for an X-Mas present for my Father, and I'm a total newbie on the subject. I've heard the pre-loaded state map 'chips' are a pretty handy little tool to use, and he said he'd love to have one for lion hunting.

Is this one going to work out?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73828?productId=1228603&subrnd=0&qs=3016887_pmd_google_pla

Thanks all, and sorry for my ignorance on the subject.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Which Garmin? - 12/06/12
Dakota 10 or 20!
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Which Garmin? - 12/06/12

62-CSx

The preloaded state map chips w/ topo, land ownership and unit boundaries rock!!!

There are units out there which you can download satellite imagery to the unit also.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Which Garmin? - 12/06/12
that is the one I would go with. I bought the 20 last year and love it but the 30 has the digital compass so you can get your route by turning the gps, otherwise you need to be moving for the route to adjust. I would download the maps off the garmin site instead of buying the card. If you loose the card you will have backup on your computer.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Which Garmin? - 12/07/12
I went from the old Etrex Legend to a 62S and added a chip with 24K map of our hunting area. Night and day difference for these old eyes. As an old timer I was a bit leery of the durability of the touch screen Oregons, but there are many that like them.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Which Garmin? - 12/07/12
Not sure what "pre loaded" micro SD you are referring too BUT if it is www.huntgpsmaps.com do not buy the pre loaded SD version. Buy the download...you get free updates and two licenses so you can put it on 2 gps units.
Posted By: Ladymulerider Re: Which Garmin? - 12/07/12
I use the Oregon 550T hunting, horse (mule) back and also in mounted search and rescue... it has held up great for 3 years now..
Posted By: Ladymulerider Re: Which Garmin? - 12/07/12
I use the Oregon 550T hunting, horse (mule) back and also in mounted search and rescue... it has held up great for 3 years now..
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Which Garmin? - 12/17/12
I've had quite a few GPS'..the eTrex are a good entry level and this one is a good one. The touchscreen models are more user friendly IMO. Don't get the pre loaded maps, I believe those are a 1:100,000 scale, you can get their 1:24,000 map chips that are the same as regular top maps. Much better detail.
Posted By: gossipgodd Re: Which Garmin? - 12/17/12
Also, I found this site online, might be useful to readers here...
Packers Jersey
A.J.Hawk Jersey
Posted By: Kurt52 Re: Which Garmin? - 12/18/12
Tanner,
The Oregon 450 was my choice when the old yellow Etrex screen was finally giving it up this fall (10 years old?). I really like the 450 and have the BC and Washington state chips that work great. I like the touch screen on the Oregon. Lithium AA batteries have lasted the past 8 weeks for my weekend hunting, and still show full charge.

The 62 and Montana are too large and heavy as I am a backpack hunter.
Kurt
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Which Garmin? - 12/18/12
T,

The best garmin handhelds are the 62series, especially for older guys.

They have buttons that LRX them navigate easier.

Spot
Posted By: Rev579 Re: Which Garmin? - 12/18/12
62 by far. Also, the pre-loaded topo maps don't quite have the same detail as the add-on. Also, if you add it on, you manage what and where, allocating memory usage yourself.
Posted By: Tanner Re: Which Garmin? - 12/18/12
Cool beans, thanks for all the help gentlemen.
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: Which Garmin? - 12/18/12
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

62-CSx

The preloaded state map chips w/ topo, land ownership and unit boundaries rock!!!

There are units out there which you can download satellite imagery to the unit also.

zactly!
Posted By: panmin Re: Which Garmin? - 12/18/12
The host's post really is to MapleStory Gold write liked too. The style of writing is flowing freely, the rhetoric in proper form, deep get wei jin various dynasty the relic, even develop tang the breeze sung bone astute, carry forward can live to see this son of Diablo 3 Gold the building Lord. It is my great privilege I the happiness ah.
Posted By: Ray63 Re: Which Garmin? - 12/18/12
mark
Posted By: Ranch13 Re: Which Garmin? - 12/18/12
I'm a big fan of the Rino series.
Rino 610
Posted By: bobmn Re: Which Garmin? - 12/18/12
Tanner: Because of your location and use for lion hunting, I assume your father will use his gps in canyons. Because of this I would strongly recommend whichever unit he buys has a high sensitivity receiver and is capable of receiving GLOSNASS (Russian) satellites. While in a canyon your device looks at a very small portion of the sky so you need to have access to as many satelites as possible. After using gps all over the world, it has been my experience that the military has concentrated the satelite orbits towards the equator. I got much better reception in Africa than I get in the Northern Plain States. I would avoid a touch screen because they are cumbersome to use while wearing gloves. Ever try to find a stylus after dropping it in 12" of fresh snow?
I use a Garmin eTrex 20. Cheap, light, good battery life, acguires position rapidly even under a tree canopy. SD chip compatable. The only drawback is small screen size.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Which Garmin? - 12/18/12
I recently bought a 20 and agree with your assessment. I've not made my mind up on Birdseye Imagery, it gets blurry under 800 ft, but the unit itself works great and is easy to use.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Which Garmin? - 12/19/12
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
T,

The best garmin handhelds are the 62series, especially for older guys.

They have buttons that LRX them navigate easier.

Spot

I had the old 62Csx for about 5 years and I've seen some say it's the gold standard for GPS'. It was a great GPS and I was very happy with it. When I sold it to upgrade, I almost went with the new version, but went with the Montana and have been more than happy with it. The only downside is it is large, but the large screen is nice and I have to admit, the touchscreen beats buttons any day, esp when entering names of waypoints.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Which Garmin? - 12/19/12
Birds eye is not all its cracked up be, I bought a subscription a year ago, and when the subscription ran out the pictures stopped working.

Pissed me off.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Which Garmin? - 12/19/12
I had thrown around getting birdseye but didnt, esp when I saw it was only a subscription for a year. The cool think about the Montana I have is you can do custom maps. In Google Earth you can overlay any map to an area and download it into it, including satellite pics, trail maps, state or national parks, etc. If you have one of the latest versions of the 62 series, you can also do this.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Which Garmin? - 12/19/12
I have a subscription, and don't know that I'm all that impressed. The picture quality is very low if the unit is set below 800 ft.

The Etrex 20 was on sale at Cabela's for $169.99, so I bought the subscription. I'm thinking there are better options for mapping than Birdseye.
Posted By: aalf Re: Which Garmin? - 12/21/12
I bought a Etrex 20, played with it a bit and took it back. I hated the little toggle switch.

I replaced it with the Oregon 550T. Cabela's has them on sale now for $249 and free shipping, which is $300 off. I paid $299, which I thought was a deal.....
Posted By: pseshooter300 Re: Which Garmin? - 12/21/12
Im looking into the 62s
Posted By: JBoutfishn Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
Started with an eTrex, Now use the Oregon 550. As a side note, when I turned 70 I started carrying a SPOT as I usually hunt and fish alone
Posted By: EricM Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
I give the 62S a thumbs up!
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
Do you thing the Etrax 10 is good enough if all you want to do is track out the way you went in? I don't need all the other stuff, but it has to work in deep timber.
Posted By: tkinak Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
I'm happy with my older E-trex Legend but that sale on the Oregon 450T is hard to pass up.(Missed the great deal on the 550) The Cabelas ad says $499 but they are usually $399 marked down to $230 with the $20 coupon that's up right now on their homepage. Think I might have talked myself into one.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin174-Oregon-450T-GPS/709847.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D1000003497%2B5100152%26Ne%3D5100152%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dgps%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3DSearchRefinements%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dgps%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts&Ntt=gps&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
Posted By: kcm270 Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
I'll suggest the Foretrex 401 for lion hunting, because it can't fall out of your pocket. Having lost a GPS that way in September, I'm a little touchy about that one. And lion hunting is a lot of scrambling once the dogs start barking.

YMMV.
Posted By: southwind Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
I have a Dakota 20 and really like it but would probably go for one of the larger screen models now.
Posted By: bobmn Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
kcm270: Just put a lanyard on the handheld
Anybody got an answer to my question?
Posted By: troutslayer Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
Get the Garmin Oregon on sale at Cabela's. I don't think this deal can be beat anywhere for a good GPS.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
Originally Posted by troutslayer
Get the Garmin Oregon on sale at Cabela's. I don't think this deal can be beat anywhere for a good GPS.

+1

I bought the 450 for $229 last summer and it worked really well on my Colorado elk hunt. I saw it for $199 on black friday at Cabela's.
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Do you thing the Etrax 10 is good enough if all you want to do is track out the way you went in? I don't need all the other stuff, but it has to work in deep timber.

My hunting buddy bought a eTrex 20 and it's receiver sensitivity was equal to my 450 Oregon. After he saw me use the touch screen he had buyers remorse and said he wish he had bought the Oregon.
Originally Posted by DP4

My hunting buddy bought a eTrex 20 and it's receiver sensitivity was equal to my 450 Oregon. After he saw me use the touch screen he had buyers remorse and said he wish he had bought the Oregon.

I'm not one for gadgets, and never owned a GPS before. I was going to get the Bushnell backtrack, but I saw too many negative reviews on it. Especially, about losing the signal.

My concern about the eTrax10 is getting a good signal in the timber, and showing me how to get out. My memory is getting worse in my old age, and I don't trust myself to find my way out on my own anymore.

It's only $110, and if you say it has a good signal. That's what I want. Not interested in any other features.
Originally Posted by DP4

I'm not one for gadgets, and never owned a GPS before. I was going to get the Bushnell backtrack, but I saw too many negative reviews on it. Especially, about losing the signal.

My concern about the eTrax10 is getting a good signal in the timber, and showing me how to get out. My memory is getting worse in my old age, and I don't trust myself to find my way out on my own anymore.

It's only $110, and if you say it has a good signal. That's what I want. Not interested in any other features.

I think you want to make sure you see this in the description, "High-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver with HotFix� quickly acquires satellite locations".

Also, being able to retrace your footsteps is a really nice feature, especially when trying to wind your way through thick brush in the dark.
Posted By: Freezerfiller Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
They are all pretty much the same. The only thing they are good for is finding fishing holes on lakes or ocean. Get a compass. Less weight.
I can handle 5oz. smile

Dig a hole, and kick me in it when I can't.
Posted By: WapitiBob Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12

bushnell backtrack will do what you want.
Originally Posted by WapitiBob

bushnell backtrack will do what you want.

I keep reading that it loses a signal in deep timber, and the pointer isn't that accurate.

The eTrax actually leaves a trail to follow back, and seems to be pretty accurate from the reviews. It also has a ton of waypoints I can set. It doesn't cost that much more, and seems like a better choice. No?
Posted By: osix Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
I've got a Garmin Oregon, the only complaint is screen visibility, could be better.
They do go through the batteries. I threw out the recharger that came with the unit and bought a quality charger and better rechargeable batteries.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Which Garmin? - 12/24/12
I've got a 20, Mauser Hunter, and it has fairly good sensitivity in the canopy. A 10 will be just as sensitive, it's that the unit has less bells and whistles. I think you'd be fine with one, once you learn the peculiarities of a GPS.
Posted By: aalf Re: Which Garmin? - 12/25/12
According to Garmin, the best reception and holding a coordinate under a canopy, will be a unit that has an antenna.
Posted By: Mauser_Hunter Re: Which Garmin? - 12/25/12
Originally Posted by aalf
According to Garmin, the best reception and holding a coordinate under a canopy, will be a unit that has an antenna.

Can I use the gun for an antenna? smile
Posted By: lochsa Re: Which Garmin? - 12/25/12
I upgraded from an etrex to the 62s. Huge improvement. I use the gps on a daily basis in the backcountry for work. Get the state maps with property boundries.

© 24hourcampfire