Home
A Wisconsin DNR Wildlife Biologist sent me the story and pics.

On November 17, 2012 a hunter hunting out of a tree stand between Marathon City and Merrill WI had a pack of 5 wolves come in to view. He shot the largest one and while climbing out of the stand a buck shows up and he nails it.

The wolf weighed 95 pounds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
He's still short 4 wolves.
Wow, nice story. Are they issuing wolf tags in WI? I didn't think there were that many (most in MN).
Wisconsin's first wolf hunt is too close soon. 1160 tags issued, quota is 116 wolves.
In that second photo the wolf looks kind of stiff, like rigor mortis has set in. Apparently some time had elapsed between the rifle shot and the camera shot.

95 pounds = big dog!
Originally Posted by snubbie
In that second photo the wolf looks kind of stiff, like rigor mortis has set in. Apparently some time had elapsed between the rifle shot and the camera shot.

95 pounds = big dog!

Probably so.
I know I would take care of the deer first.
Hard to believe how big mature Wolves can get, Wowza.
My in-laws live out that way (Sand Creek), and I know that picture would make my FIL smile!
That is a nice daily double.
My SIL that lives in WI sent me those pics awhile ago said his friend shot them.... Thanks for posting. Should have a full body mount of the woof...
Funny thing, that Buck is a stud, but your vision is fixated on that woof...

No one has mentioned it, so, that Buck is a stud!
Good shooting!
Originally Posted by PAMac
My SIL that lives in WI sent me those pics awhile ago said his friend shot them.... Thanks for posting. Should have a full body mount of the woof...

I know of at least three local outdoor writers that are trying to track the guy down to do a feature story. Does your SIL or BIL have a name?
The wildlife biologist that sent me the pictures said the hunter shot the wolf first out of a pack of five, then shot the buck.

A more likely scenario would be the hunter shot the buck first and then one of the wolves that were trailing. Or another possibility...wolves came to the sound of gunfire looking for a wounded deer or gut pile.

Would really like to see a published story.
That's a great looking wolf and a helluva buck. Tough to beat a day in the woods like that.

Love the facial markings of Timberwolves. It'll make a nice rug.
I'd love to kill a buck & wolf in the same sitting. Awesome pics, thanks for posting.
That would make anyone's hunting season! Tough to top that double!
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by PAMac

I know of at least three local outdoor writers that are trying to track the guy down to do a feature story. Does your SIL or BIL have a name?

I'll give him a call tomorrow to see about his friends name. Wait for a pm in the pm......
Easy to see how many deer a dog that size can eat in a year.
That's one lucky hunter!
Man what a day, a great buck and huge wolf. That would rock.
The wolf wasn't even in real wolf wolf country. It was in central Wisconsin farm land.
Hate to say it, but there isn't a lot of the state that isn't wolf territory. I know of a guy less than 50 miles north of Madison that had a trailcam pic of a pair with 5 pups this summer. Don't know that the DNR will admit they're reproducing that far south though.
Originally Posted by IslandFirearmCoatings
He's still short 4 wolves.

+1
Very impressive animal.
Originally Posted by ihookem
The wolf wasn't even in real wolf wolf country. It was in central Wisconsin farm land.

I'd not really call Merril farm land, but it's getting there. Lots and lots of wooded acres in that coutry. I know...I surveyed a bunch of em!

That is a hellova buck too btw.
Big wolf and deer. Full mount on the wolf for sure!
That would quite the hunt. Nice deer but glad he got the wolf, too many of those and there would be few deer left.
© 24hourcampfire