Home
Posted By: Raeford First hog hunt-what to take/ - 12/18/12
I am going on my 1st ever hog hunt in January in North Carolina. I have the following options, .270, .243, 30-06. I will be stand hunting.
I have no clue what would be best?? Caliber-wise and bullet-wise.
any of those will do....take the one you shoot well...the'06 with 180's would be my choice....
30-06 and Federal Fusion ammo works for me,If you can shoot them 1/2 distance from top of neck to the bottom and 1/2 distance from the back of the ear to the front of the shoulder.It snaps their neck and no tracking involved,or you can shoot them in the head.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: First hog hunt-what to take/ - 12/19/12
Any that you own. I'd take the .243win, less recoil and will do the job a ok.

Being from Texas i've done my share of trapping and hunting hogs. And have seen .22lr, .22mag, .223, .223wssm, 30-30, 30-06, ect ect all work.

Have fun and kill as many as you can.
I have hunted Georgia and killed all my hogs with a 25.06 and 115 ballistic tips. No problems with it and everything I hit with it dies! I did manage to shoot one hog at 140 yards with a 168 TSX out of my 06 and followed him for over two hours without ever finding him in palmettos. I would probably use the 270 or 06.
How close are your shots going to be?

The instructions I have been given when hunting hogs over bait at 50yds in AR is this: Wait until a group are feeding, unload into the group with 12ga 00Buck knocking down as many as possible. Pick up the deer rifle and finish off any that are still moving. We've seen as many as 40-50 at a time on a bait pile so that's the best way to kill numbers.

May not be the most sporting approach, but the farmers want extermination if possible.
Any of them will work fine. Don't know if I'm an expert but we have a few hogs here in Texas. If it was me, I would take the 270 with some well constructed Bullets.
270 or 30-06 gives the edge if one of the 500 lb or bigger comes along. i've seen them up to 500 plus. cranky72
Don't forget to bring a clothespin for you nose, in case you whack a big boar.
Originally Posted by Raeford
I am going on my 1st ever hog hunt in January in North Carolina. I have the following options, .270, .243, 30-06. I will be stand hunting.

I would bring any rifle that will be handy and quick to use in a stand. It does not take a silver bullet to kill a hog. Whatever you would use on deer will work. Aim for the neck area or head.
Thanks for the replies.
My preference is the 243. Shorter, and quicker. It will be over bait from a stand @ 40-50 yards from what I am told.
I like the idea of unloading into a group with shotgun. I have a 10ga single shot turkey gun that would do nicely.
Is a 100gn Fusion enough though? That is what the 243 is sighted in with now.
Is a 100gn Fusion enough though?

Absolutely
My favorite combo is a .270 with 130's Federal Fusions for hog hunting. Especially at longer ranges and body shots.

For just killing pigs on my place, a .243 with cheap Federal blue box does fine

There is a difference.

stumpy
Originally Posted by stumpy
My favorite combo is a .270 with 130's Federal Fusions for hog hunting. Especially at longer ranges and body shots.

For just killing pigs on my place, a .243 with cheap Federal blue box does fine

There is a difference.

stumpy

This is what my 270 is setup with[fusion as well].
Posted By: Arns9 Re: First hog hunt-what to take/ - 12/20/12
At that distance, choice of cartridge isn't very important. If you're interested in the meat (it's delicious), I wouldn't shoot anything more than about 2700 fps muzzle velocity.

Also, be aware that a hog's vitals are further forward than a deer's. Shoot from the ear to the shoulder and you'll soon be eating pork chops. Shoot behind the shoulder and you'll likely be disappointed.

Good luck and be sure to post results!
Posted By: eh76 Re: First hog hunt-what to take/ - 12/20/12
Originally Posted by Arns9

Also, be aware that a hog's vitals are further forward than a deer's. Shoot from the ear to the shoulder and you'll soon be eating pork chops. Shoot behind the shoulder and you'll likely be disappointed.

yep I made that mistake...old habits die hard.
shoot for the head or neck with anything above a .17 and you have a dead hog. killed and seen em' killed with everything up to and including .458 win mags. good for testing loads and bullet construction. also when you shootem in the neck or head, dont be suprised to see them flop around a bit.
I took my first one this year with a 308 and some 180 grain Partitions. I would go for the 30-06.
Again, thanks all!
Posted By: C_ROY Re: First hog hunt-what to take/ - 12/20/12
Here is one I shot Monday afternoon with a .270 and a 150 gr. Hornady SP.

[Linked Image]

Here are a few my daughters have shot with a .257 "Bob" with either 100 gr Barnes TTSX or a 120 gr. Partition.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bring the one you shoot most accurately and have the most confidence in. Use a good bullet and you better have a sharp knife. wink
Posted By: Rolly Re: First hog hunt-what to take/ - 12/21/12
I would take some shooting sticks and binoculars.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Take your favorite deer rifle using your favorite deer load. Learn where to locate the vitals, because compared to a deer, it's easy to shoot too far back on a hog. If these are captured hogs with castrated boar, you don't need to worry about wild boar taint. But, if they are wild and you want meat on the table, avoid the larger boar that smell awful bad 'cause they'll probably have foul meat beyond what any human could stand to eat. I've cleanly killed some pretty big gnarly boars with nothing more than a single wooden arrow loosed from a homemade stickbow. On the other hand, I've seen medium sized hogs that were wounded by hunters using big bore rifles that required a bunch of chasing and follow ups to bring down. So my opinion, shot placement into and through the vitals are the ticket and any deer gun would do the trick with such a shot.

Have Fun smile
Thanks GARY,
STX-that is how my son and his GF are hunting them.
Just took my biggest hog ever with my 30-06 and some old Winchester fail safes, I took my first hog with my bow so any of your guns will work.
in my experience darn near any center fire rifle will work on hogs if you place the shots well, my brother-in laws used a marlin 357 mag loaded with 158 grain soft point ammo for decades, I generally grab my marlin 44 mag lever action loaded with 300 grain lee cast bullets over 20 grains of H110, its never failed to provide clean kills even out at 130 yards, but most of the hogs we shoot are shot at under 50 yards
Originally Posted by 340mag
in my experience darn near any center fire rifle will work on hogs if you place the shots well, my brother-in laws used a marlin 357 mag loaded with 158 grain soft point ammo for decades, I generally grab my marlin 44 mag lever action loaded with 300 grain lee cast bullets over 20 grains of H110, its never failed to provide clean kills even out at 130 yards, but most of the hogs we shoot are shot at under 50 yards

A wise man.
Fact is, it is harder to dream up somethng that won't work.
I shot my 2 largest pigs with a .460 Weatherby and 500gn Hornady RN a .223 Remington single shot on an old Martini Action loaded very mild with 55gn Sierra's.

I guess anything in between would have also worked.
Lord willin' I plan to take my Zane Grey Commemerative .30 WCF this March to the Campfire hog hunt. Well, that and one of my 10mm's.
While tasty, these dang things are varmints who are destroying the woods and fields.

Semi-auto shotgun with extended mag and lots of buckshot. Eat the smaller ones.
............Take any one of them. About three years ago, I converted over to the 30 cal 168-175 gr Berger hunting VLDs to avoid tracking after the shots as much as possible.

So far, from 52 yards out to 242, none of the 60+ hogs impacted with the VLDs have scampered more than 10 yards. Most dropped right where they stood.

I have no doubts that the "hunting" VLDs used with either of your caliber choices (243, 270 or a 30-06),,,,are superb hog killers.
Shoot whatever you're comfortable with. I generally shoot over feeders and the shots are rarely over 60 yards, all neck shots if possible. I use a .260 Remington with 140 gr. factory Managed Recoil loads. I have yet to use more than one round on a pig and the neck shot anchors them solidly. Shot placement is the key, not so much the caliber, IMO.
The .243 it is going to be.

Thanks to all. smile
'06 with 165s or 180s. More important is that a pigs heart and lungs are a lot more forward than a deer's. Aim at the front of the shoulder, not the back.
thanks to all . too

________
Football
© 24hourcampfire