Home
Posted By: maddog Florida Christmas gators - 12/29/12
My son was in Fla., for Christmas, with his girl friend and her parents. My son and her Dad, Mike, went gator hunting the day after Christmas, over around Lake Okeechobee. I haven't gotten all the details, but here is a couple of pics of their hunt. I know they weren't after huge gators, but more for the experience.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
Posted By: pointer Re: Florida Christmas gators - 12/29/12
Thats neater than heck! My 5yo is really wanting to go on a hunt for one of those.

Choot! Choot!
Thats really cool! Ive always wanted to eat some gator meat!
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Florida Christmas gators - 12/29/12
Pretty neat, looks like those two have hit it off smile
Posted By: JoshK Re: Florida Christmas gators - 12/29/12
Cool. I might be doing that next fall. The tail meat is pretty Damn tasty!
Out of curiosity, how do you fillet the skin off a gator? Knife? Wire cutters? Chain saw?? Very cool!

He'd better marry that gal. Her daddy lives right and likely raised her the same way.
Looks like fun!
Posted By: maddog Re: Florida Christmas gators - 12/30/12
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
He'd better marry that gal. Her daddy lives right and likely raised her the same way.

Don't know for sure, but that might be in the works...grin
Her dad likes to do a lot of competition, varmint, and bird shooting. The girl can handle a handgun just fine, and supports my son's hunting adventures. She even likes taxidermy! grin

maddog
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Florida Christmas gators - 12/30/12
does she have a sister?
Posted By: JBO69 Re: Florida Christmas gators - 12/30/12
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
Out of curiosity, how do you fillet the skin off a gator? Knife? Wire cutters? Chain saw?? Very cool!

I would start with a Gene Ingram Boner grin. Good and sharp for tough hide. The ones pictured above are good eat's size fo sur.
The easiest part to take is obviously the tail. The bone structure in the tail is "similar" to a fish. Basically cut off the tail at the base, skin one side, cut the meat off that side, then flip over and do same. The best white meat comes off the top of the tail while the meat on the bottom is darker. What you wind up with is four pieces that look like a back strap. If its a larger gator there will be meat under the chin, on the back and legs but alot more work.
Originally Posted by JBO69

I would start with a Gene Ingram Boner grin. Good and sharp for tough hide. The ones pictured above are good eat's size fo sur.
The easiest part to take is obviously the tail. The bone structure in the tail is "similar" to a fish. Basically cut off the tail at the base, skin one side, cut the meat off that side, then flip over and do same. The best white meat comes off the top of the tail while the meat on the bottom is darker. What you wind up with is four pieces that look like a back strap. If its a larger gator there will be meat under the chin, on the back and legs but alot more work.

Thanks! I actually did a search on Youtube and there are some guys on there who blow up a gator from it's butt hole with an air compressor and then skin it - pretty cool video, but like 45 mins long!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Florida Christmas gators - 01/04/13
Mike you gots to tell me how that meat tastes when you get some!
Posted By: maddog Re: Florida Christmas gators - 01/04/13
Ingwe, it'll be a while, but I will report back. grin

maddog
Posted By: eh76 Re: Florida Christmas gators - 01/04/13
Originally Posted by ingwe

It tastes like whatever you cook it in or season it with. Actually pretty bland.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Florida Christmas gators - 01/05/13

not that hard really....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Florida Christmas gators - 01/05/13
here is how they looked at Gatorland in Orlando yesterday....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Have you every seen a white one?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Florida Christmas gators - 01/05/13
Originally Posted by ingwe

kinda like a cross between manatee and bald eagle......
Posted By: REM700MAN Re: Florida Christmas gators - 01/07/13
Looks like you had a hecl of a time
Posted By: laker Re: Florida Christmas gators - 01/07/13
I gotta get down there and do that someday
© 24hourcampfire