Home
This isn't the best pic, but will have to suffice. Shot this nice nilgai bull this evening just at sunset. I was slipping through a mesquite thicket and saw a cow nilgai about 80 yards away, but she walked into the trees so that I couldn't get a shot. I crawled a bit closer and this bull walked out, but did not offer a shot either, so I just crawled up to a tree and sat down and let him walk to me. When he got about 40 yards away, I flipped off the safety and set the trigger on the old Brno 21 7x57, then sent the 160 Swift on it's way. Found him piled up 30 yards from where I shot him.

[Linked Image]
Hey Just right. And as they say just what has the 7x57 not got plumb klean.
Good job! Are you sure that you weren't shooting a .338 RUM? Would you please check again? Thanks!
LOL, the .338 RUM is only needed when I shoot at them a full 100 yards away! The 7 mauser drops way too much at that distance and would probably only raise a blister on a nilgai's hide anyway! NOT! Sure wish I had found the bullet, maybe I will get a chance tomorrow to go dig around if the coyotes don't haul it off tonight.
I been meaning to go shoot one of those things for a while, congrats
Nice. They are darn fun to hunt and eat well too.
Very nice! They are on my short list. Might have to plan a 'surf and turf' vacation with the family. They can enjoy the surf and I'll try to turf one of those big things! laugh
Nice. Can you hunt exotics in Texas all year long? Reason I ask is I want a Scimitar horned Oryx before the USFWS bans their hunting.
Congrats! I hear those things are great eating, but can be tough to drop.
Yep, you can hunt exotics year-a-round. I put my brother on this Oryx last year.
[Linked Image]
nice nilgai are on my list of critters i would like to shoot.....they are an oddball plus ive heard very good things bout the meat....
Cool. Let me know if you need some extra freezer space. wink

I might be able make some room among the axis, oryx, hog and red deer meat. smile
Congrats. They're great eating!
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Congrats. They're great eating!

Unless they just dined on fresh greened out Juisache IMHO
Originally Posted by moosemike
Nice. Can you hunt exotics in Texas all year long? Reason I ask is I want a Scimitar horned Oryx before the [i][/i]USFWS bans their hunting.

Yes they can be hunted year round winter is actually a good time to go to s Texas. Last year I went to the Champion Ranch to hunt Scimitar Horned Oryx had a great hunt. Most of the texans I know don't think USFWS will ban hunting them but I disagree, if it was the state of Texas regulating the hunting it would be different but this is the fed and they are getting a lot of pressure and to close this down. In my opinion eventually we will lose this fight. So if you want to go go now.
I thought USFWS already had banned the scimitar horned oryx killing in Texas back last spring, round May 1 or so. Is it still legal ?
Saw a few of them in south Texas but never hunted them. I've heard they were tough and hard to kill but looks like you did not have any trouble.
This can't be... They don't die w/o a mag?!?!

Seriously good shooting & thanks for sharing! Classic rifle/cartridge combo!
You sicken me! I'm guessing you were just down the road from me. I musta missed the phone call when you invited me to go with you. mad
I called several times, but a recording said "out of service at this time". LOL
Yep, just down the road, north of the Refuge a few miles off Mile 10 and 20.
I figured it had to be something like that. Cuz my buddy would never just drive right on past my house without a shout out. wink
Scary, Scary.

I live in Pt Isabel and a Nilgai has kinda been on my busket list, until I shot my bucket list elk December. now I don't know. that cow elk was good, and not as expensive. capt david
Thought cow nilgai should be cheap too and no traveling expense? USed to be 300 bucks or so... probably double that by now though.
I found a place that sells them for $600 Plus 250 guide fee. You arrive hunt the afternoon, no accomedations, if you don't get one you come back the next morning. Of course I could probably arrive early and hunt all day. still thats $850 for what could be an hour hunt. Where I elk hunt I can take a cow with two nites food and lodging for $900. capt david
BRISTECD, do you take yours to Agelars? I've heard there's a place in Raymondville, do you know anything about it?
Originally Posted by captdavid
BRISTECD, do you take yours to Agelars? I've heard there's a place in Raymondville, do you know anything about it?

Ha, nope. I don't allow any processor in the Valley to touch any animal of mine anymore, including Agulars, because I have had too many bad experiences. I do my own from start to finish. If I want sausage, I do that myself too! I would like to see your FN7x57 sometime as I own two commercial FN 7x57s.
I found a place that sells them for $600 Plus 250 guide fee. You arrive hunt the afternoon, no accomedations, if you don't get one you come back the next morning. Of course I could probably arrive early and hunt all day. still thats $850 for what could be an hour hunt. Where I elk hunt I can take a cow with two nites food and lodging for $900. capt david

FEES! BRISTECD DON'T PAY NO STINKING FEES!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by KMS

FEES! BRISTECD DON'T PAY NO STINKING FEES!

[Linked Image]

Hey now, it may be free, but it's still work! I think I chipped a nail loading him into the truck and look at the hours it will take me to cut it up and grind the burger and stew meat, then package it all. It'll cost $20-$30 dollars at least for wrapping paper and vacuum bags!
Vaccum bags are like printer ink. They could give you the vaccum sealer 'cause they must make a ton on the bags! capt david
Well it would must be a good experience of yours to have in..Very well to read out all the replies made by the members and it is good for me to know about them..
© 24hourcampfire