Home
Posted By: rcamuglia Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
Ran into this guy on Saturday. This is the biggest Antelope Buck I have ever seen on the hoof.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: UtahLefty Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
nice!
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
Fantastic buck
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
Rcamuglia: Wow - that is a dandy!
What do you estimate his horn length to be?
Thanks for sharing the great photos.
I am also wondering IF the Antelope horn growth is now done for the year or is he liable to gain another bit of mass/length to those already amazing horns?
I have wondered about this Antelope horn growth time frame for decades now. Especially when I would travel to and fro while Hunting Varmints in Antelope country during spring and early summers.
I have now lived in Antelope country for 16 years and see them daily from my home and in my travels - it seems to me that the Antelope horns attain full size by early spring?
Unlike the Deer and Elk who are just getting going at that time!
Thanks again for the great photos.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Huntr Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
Wow!
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
I never have judged them, but I knew he was huge. I showed the pic to a few friends who guide regularly and they estimated him to be 82"
Posted By: roundoak Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
He be the boss. Nice pics.
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
STUD
Posted By: rattler Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
not a giant if the one pic is right and the prongs arent above his ears but a damn nice goat prolly anyone would shoot.....hell i tried shooting one about that size except he was busted off at the base of the prong on the left side....figured half a "trophy goat" beat no goat laugh i wouldnt put any second thought into busting the buck pictured.....
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
I would ground check him smile
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
Originally Posted by EddyBo
I would ground check him smile

Yup I'd 2nd that!!

I think that buck might just be one of those that is even harder to judge than usual when it comes to antelopes. In a couple of the pics it appears his horns lean out foreward a bit,making them look shorter than they really are. Also looks like decent length above the prongs. And in the one taken from the back the mass looks pretty good below and above the prong.

Dang fine buck I'd be more than happy with!!!
Posted By: Tanner Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
Wow...

Looks like a stud to me!
Posted By: Oldslowdog Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13

I'm not good at judging antelope either but he's a pretty buck for sure.

In the first two pictures his mass appears good. The last two make him look tall and wide, but not necessarily "huge".

I love the sticker points, or "trash" as folks call them, and would shoot him regardless of the score.

NM has some monsters, that's for sure....
Posted By: JeremyKS Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/08/13
Great buck!
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
Winder what he'll be like when he grows up??? wink
Posted By: Ravenr2 Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
If he doesn't bust 84
I'll eat him, horn,hoof, hair and all
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
Very nice buck, yes.
Giant, no way.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
When all you've seen is 14 inchers all your life, this guy qualifies as a Giant!

He's a Giant to me! 84 is probably right according to those who know and have seen this...
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
I can't say I'm an expert, but I have an 84 4/8ths head.
His prongs don't appear to be above the ears. If not, it kills the score. He's also too wide, so that dings a few points. And he's not even.
But don't let any of that even slow you down. He is a very fine animal with lots of character. If he isn't a book head, he is certainly book class and a real throphy is anybody's book. E
Posted By: CLB Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
When all you've seen is 14 inchers all your life, this guy qualifies as a Giant!

He's a Giant to me! 84 is probably right according to those who know and have seen this...

When can you get after him? That is a stud lope for sure!
Posted By: ranger1 Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
You either don't know what you're looking at or you have access to some incredible hunting opportunities if you don't rank an 80"+ antelope a shooter. I wouldn't hesitate a second to plug that pig. Gorgeous animal!!
Posted By: CLB Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
Ranger,

You hitting quick reply or responding to me? No second thoughts on my end.....I'd kill him in a NY minute.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
I would hesitate to shoot that antelope.

Just long enough to get the crosshair properly aligned. smile

Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
The wide and unhooked shape will make them look a little bigger than they actually area. It's a really good buck. I'd guess him just a touch over 16 long, lower mass in the low 6" range on both, nice measurement at half way because he prongs high, and a light top mass. Just under 5" for the prong. He might break 80, but it'll be close. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Greenhorn Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
Looking again, I could be guessing low. He's mostly likely a B&C goat.
Posted By: elkhuntinguide Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/09/13
Nice buck but don't think he'd hit 80" IMHO...

Originally Posted by Eremicus
He's also too wide, so that dings a few points.

How is that gonna ding a few points score wise.... Just curious...

Originally Posted by Ravenr2
If he doesn't bust 84
I'll eat him, horn,hoof, hair and all

Thats gonna taste terrible...
Posted By: CCCC Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/10/13
Am not knowledgeable about scoring, or even about "monster" antelope bucks, but he looks great compared to most we normally see in these parts. There is one buck down this way looking about like that one. Maybe I had better try for a tag - but - not easy to draw an area-specific tag here.
Posted By: SLM Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/10/13
Great buck but don't think he has the mass to get to 80.

Posted By: SLM Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/10/13
This buck went just over 82.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: northcountry Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/10/13
rcamuglia
Let hope that guy shared his genes with lots of the Doe in the area. They are worth keeping around. Cheers NC
Posted By: jlboykin Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/10/13
My guess is around 80 gross. Very nice buck.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/10/13
Here's a big NM antelope from a few years ago. Looks like my son's asleep......

[Linked Image][/URL]][/url]
Posted By: chap Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/10/13
Very nice buck. A few years back my daughter shot a buck very, very similar to this buck. 15 1/2 tall with a 19 inch spread. Very similar mass but damaged prongs. Gross score with full prongs would have been around 78. Biggest problem with wide bucks is during the rut and the bucks are fighting, wide bucks break prongs and that hurts the score. The prongs on this buck will likely keep him under 80.
Posted By: efw Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/10/13
Dewd... NEED!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/10/13
It's a nice enough buck that most people wouldn't hesitate to shoot him. I agree he's hard to score. I estimate him around 80 net.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/10/13

Yep, it's a nice one.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/11/13
Rcamuglia,

What a great buck - I love his character and the wide, heavy horns! I would have sent a round his way in a heartbeat. I seen one something like him in northern NV a couple years ago, lying in the middle of an old dirt road!

My taxidermist green scored the below buck as 83 5/8". Like any other animal, there seem to be many variables when scoring or just oogling over horns or a rack, but with antelope, the mass is what really makes a score. As much as I like this buck, I don't think he has the character of the one you photo'd.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for sharing the pictures - what a really nice goat!

Bob

PS - SLM and JG - great looking (and dead!) bucks there also. cool

Posted By: huntsonora Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/11/13
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Rcamuglia,

What a great buck - I love his character and the wide, heavy horns! I would have sent a round his way in a heartbeat. I seen one something like him in northern NV a couple years ago, lying in the middle of an old dirt road!

My taxidermist green scored the below buck as 83 5/8". Like any other animal, there seem to be many variables when scoring or just oogling over horns or a rack, but with antelope, the mass is what really makes a score. As much as I like this buck, I don't think he has the character of the one you photo'd.

[Linked Image]

Bob

Great goat!
Posted By: SLM Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/11/13
Rcamuglia,

[Linked Image]

Bob

Thanks, it is not mine, it came off a ranch I was guiding on.
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Rcamuglia,

[Linked Image]

Bob

Great goat!

Huntsonora,

Thanks - just chatted w/the taxidermist yesterday and he said it was also one of the largest bodies/capes he's worked with. Would you believe I passed him up earlier in the day? Guess it's not quite just knowing a mule deer is 30". smile

Bob
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/11/13
Great Bucks All! I'd be tickled with any of them!

Thanks for sharing your Monsters too!
Posted By: Ravenr2 Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/11/13
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll still call him north of 84
Posted By: CRS Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/11/13
Click, boom... I would worry about the numbers on the ground, or not. Does not matter, tremendous antelope.
Originally Posted by Ravenr2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll still call him north of 84

Ravenr2,

Wow! Nice Goats. Like the ivory on the first one! Thanks for sharing.

Bob
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/11/13

....Would you believe I passed him up earlier in the day? Guess it's not quite just knowing a mule deer is 30". smile

Bob

Bob, I absolutely believe it! I almost passed the biggest antelope I have ever killed, or will ever kill, because he wasn't this odd shaped buck I had set my mind to hunt. I had never seen the buck I ended up killing before and I was with a friend that was hissing at me to kill him when he came over the hill. I asked him if he would then hold out to kill the buck I wanted and he said yes so I killed him thinking I was doing my buddy a solid. I about crapped myself when I walked up to him. I am glad I didnt realize how big he was. He was 17 6/8" tall and even with a deformed prong grosses 89"
Posted By: Allen917 Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/11/13
That is a nice one! Looks a lot like the one that lives out of Clayton on Hwy 370.
Originally Posted by huntsonora

....Would you believe I passed him up earlier in the day? Guess it's not quite just knowing a mule deer is 30". smile

Bob

Bob, I absolutely believe it! I almost passed the biggest antelope I have ever killed, or will ever kill, because he wasn't this odd shaped buck I had set my mind to hunt. I had never seen the buck I ended up killing before and I was with a friend that was hissing at me to kill him when he came over the hill. I asked him if he would then hold out to kill the buck I wanted and he said yes so I killed him thinking I was doing my buddy a solid. I about crapped myself when I walked up to him. I am glad I didnt realize how big he was. He was 17 6/8" tall and even with a deformed prong grosses 89"

I was looking for a tall one on this hunt. I don't think his tallest horn hits 15. The OPs buck has a great shape and wonderful character - to me, that's worth more than points. I have another nice 14-something buck from WY with those perfect heart shaped horns and nice ivory tips. Makes me think of Elmer Keith.

What great fun, but alas....back to work (for now).

Bob
Posted By: eyeball Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/13/13
Originally Posted by Tanner
Wow...

Looks like a stud to me!

10-4 for sure.
Originally Posted by SLM
This buck went just over 82.

[Linked Image]

Bad hooks, short tines, short prongs- I would love to shoot that buck.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Giant NM Pronghorn - 07/13/13
This NV one went a tad over 85. I'll be hunting this year the same place I got him.

[Linked Image]
Two great goats in that pic, L2S.
© 24hourcampfire