Home
Posted By: Royce ground antelope meat - 10/13/13
Do any of you antelope eating experts have any recommendations on blending suet or anything else with ground antelope meat? My favorite use of antelope burger is in spaghetti sauce because of the great flavor it seems to impart to the sauce.
Thanks

Royce
Posted By: eh76 Re: ground antelope meat - 10/13/13
My first question is if you are primarily going to use it for that purpose why add anything? Whatever you add to it will affect the flavor.
Posted By: Royce Re: ground antelope meat - 10/13/13
Sometimes we use if for burgers, just for a change from whitetail. But, maybe the thing to do is not add anything- Good point.

Fred
Posted By: JimR Re: ground antelope meat - 10/13/13
We eat our antelope burger "straight" (no suet) and use it in burgers, tacos, etc. and it always seems fine.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: ground antelope meat - 10/13/13
One year our group put up 10 antelope with all the doe tags we had. Mixed the ground meat with the cheaper bulk bacon ends for burger meat. Everybody liked it, we'll probably keep doing it that way.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: ground antelope meat - 10/13/13
Over time pork fat will get rancid when frozen, so that's one consideration.

I prefer beef suit for ground venison and antelope, since I freeze it and use it over a year's + time.

The bacon ends sounds like it might be a great idea, since it's cured. I have to give it a try. laugh
Posted By: okiebowhunter Re: ground antelope meat - 10/14/13
I do 1 whole deer ground with bacon every year. Its a fam favorite.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: ground antelope meat - 10/14/13
We've done it in the past with both beef fat and bacon, but have been grinding it without any "additives" for a long time now. That us, unless Eileen makes sausage out of some of it.
Posted By: RNF Re: ground antelope meat - 10/14/13
I had a meatloaf for supper tonight 2/3 ground antelope and 1/3 80/20 ground beef.

After grinding my antelope and deer into burger we add 1/2 pound beef to 1 pound of the ground meat.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: ground antelope meat - 10/14/13
Originally Posted by okiebowhunter

That wouldn't work out here. I get one resident tag about every two to three years. frown

I am going to try it with some elk I have in the freezer from 2007. wink
Posted By: horse1 Re: ground antelope meat - 10/14/13
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by okiebowhunter

That wouldn't work out here. I get one resident tag about every two to three years. frown

I am going to try it with some elk I have in the freezer from 2007. wink

I ground some bacon into some "bottom of the freezer" elk roasts I discovered a couple years ago. Now it's an every year thing. A local butcher shop grinds in 3# of bacon ends/pieces for every 10# of venison. I've done it with elk, deer, and moose and it's all been very good.
Posted By: 5spd Re: ground antelope meat - 10/15/13
I run 5 lbs of the bulk bacon pieces into 20 lbs of antelope meat for as long as I have been shooting them. Perfect blend.
I always double grind my game also.
You can mix in any spices, onions/pepper and other stuff you want into sausage skins for some good eats as well.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: ground antelope meat - 10/16/13
Originally Posted by Ole_270
cheaper bulk bacon ends for burger meat.

Did this with some elk burger, works great. I too use a 1/4 ratio of bacon to meat.
Posted By: buffybr Re: ground antelope meat - 10/16/13
I grind my antelope the same as my deer and elk burger -- 10% beef fat.
Posted By: Backroads Re: ground antelope meat - 10/16/13
We do not add anything to ground.
That bacon burger is pretty good though, a friend of mine does that for antelope and venison.
Posted By: Royce Re: ground antelope meat - 10/17/13
Well, thanks a lot for all the input. The antelope is all ground, wrapped and frozen. We decided to not add anything to the burger but we are going to try adding bacon to ground venison that we actually use for burgers.
Ended up with 27 pounds of very sweet mild flavored antelope. Life is good!

royce
Posted By: saddlesore Re: ground antelope meat - 10/17/13
Why ruin good meat by adding anything to it?
Posted By: donsm70 Re: ground antelope meat - 10/17/13
We did last years antelope burger by mixing ~20% smoked bacon bits with the antelope meat.

Tried it this year with elk as well. Did a fine job with both.

donsm70
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: ground antelope meat - 10/17/13
Originally Posted by buffybr
I grind my antelope the same as my deer and elk burger -- 10% beef fat.

Same here, works like a champ.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: ground antelope meat - 10/17/13
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Why ruin good meat by adding anything to it?

For the same reason I prefer a ribeye to a sirloin; because beef fat is yummy.
Posted By: RatFink Re: ground antelope meat - 10/17/13
I grind all meats straight up with no additives, unless making sausage. We prefer it that way and have no problems with making burger patties or in ground meat recipes. I have 2 antelope in the fridge waiting to be ground this weekend.
© 24hourcampfire