Home
Here is the video�

Sorry I will probably get flamed for this but I think shots like that are nothing but a stunt. Only the good results get posted, how many shots like this does the animal take a step foreword at the shot and now its a gut shot not a good hit. I didn't go to face book and like "Relentless Pursuit" because I wouldn't want to win a hunt with a guy who has that little of respect for the animals.
What are your thoughts on a 95 yard shot with a bow?

It's fine as long as it's at a target, and not a live animal
This is the MT Gov tag buyer with his 80 plus yard ram. He had a lot of pygmies along for the trailing if needed though. Me personally, I don't like archery shots much over 30 yards but that is just me. Nice buck for that guy and nice ram for this guy.

[Linked Image]
+1 Seen Treda Bera take bad shots at game .
I didn't hear anyone call out a range, did I miss that?
Not much.
I've seen guys make 80yd. shots on deer "targets" I guess if you practice and conditions are right it's possible. But to many variables play in IMO.
I think @ that distance the arrow has lost a lot of speed, giving the deer a chance to see it & duck it.
Archery IMO is a close range proposition.
I agree with most other posters. A 95 yard shot is more about the shooter than showing respect for the game. Way too many variables that can go wrong, which are beyond the shooter's control and impossible to predict. It's an ego stroke when everything goes right, but I'd wager a pretty penny that it goes wrong a whole lot more often. I have too much respect for the animals I hunt to roll those dice.
I've done a lot of practice at 60+. If you get reasonably good, it makes a shorter shot a piece of cake and really builds confidence. To shoot at that range at an animal? Not this kid.
I used to hunt with Metro Bow hunters Resource Base.
We hunted in parks, cemetaries the Arsenal you name it.
If you wounded a deer and didn't recover it and they
found that the shot was over 22 yds.You would not be welcomed back again.
whelennut
I don't know how much this guy shoots a bow, but I have seen video of Michael Waddell shooting at 100 yards that would make most archers envious...
100 yards is generally a pizz poor idea with a bow. How much less than 100 is not being disrespectful gets one into a lot of gray area. Personally, I have no problem shooting to 60 yards when conditions are right for it. As far as that goes, you'd play he11 killing much in this country if you couldn't shoot more than 30 yards. I would guess that the "respectful" shot distance varies a bit by region/terrain.
Originally Posted by ranger1
100 yards is generally a pizz poor idea with a bow. How much less than 100 is not being disrespectful gets one into a lot of gray area. Personally, I have no problem shooting to 60 yards when conditions are right for it. As far as that goes, you'd play he11 killing much in this country if you couldn't shoot more than 30 yards. I would guess that the "respectful" shot distance varies a bit by region/terrain.

I pretty much agree with this assessment. I just think 95 yards is WAY too far to shoot. There is just so much that can go wrong at that range and I think it was a piss poor idea to post that video.

I hunted one year with a world champion 3D guy and he was putting his arrows into a coke sized dot on a block target at 100 yards and he told me there was no way in hell he would shoot 100 yards at an animal.
My thoughts?

About what I think of 1000 yard gunshots of game.

I like JJHack's (I think)quote. - "there are 100 things that can happen at long range. and 99 are bad"
I think we only see the winning roll of the dice when people trade ethics of trophies.

I've found one too many dead large KS rack deer dead from bad shots
I might be more bothered by his wearing of a sleeveless shirt.
Jealous of those guns, are ya?
Originally Posted by pointer

Jealous or aroused? grin
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
Originally Posted by pointer

Jealous or aroused? grin
Possibly both, so you should include 'confused' into the list as well.
It's beyond my ability, but that doesn't mean it's beyond everyone's ability.

I've seen an acquaintance shoot static targets at 100-110 yards that I'd be challenged to hit as well at 60. He uses a much more specialized setup than I do, is a way better shooter, and shoots A LOT.

I'd not argue the ethics of his effective range based on my own.
I really can't believe this is even a discussion.

A rushed shot on an alert animal at 95 yards. Which seemed to be an unknown distance since he had to hurry the shot.

What could ever go wrong while that arrow spends a full second in the air?

Nice buck.
I once read a quote of "archery is about how close not how far".I feel as though that sums it up really well.
It doesn't matter whether it's 20 yards or 200, there'll be a crowd of folks to bitch about it.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I don't know how much this guy shoots a bow, but I have seen video of Michael Waddell shooting at 100 yards that would make most archers envious...

Shrap, taking nothing from MW but Tim Wells is probably one of the finest shots with a bow ever. He apparently takes flying duck and geese and running game from rabbits to sable with a bow.

I think most archers would enjoy MOST of his shows called Relentless Pursuit.
[video:youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLI...wa-t8&feature=plpp&v=7l26XIkxzaE[/video]
The grizzly shot at 7:10 is the one that makes me think he is lucky to be with us. Helluva bow shot but that was about the best miss ever.
The brown bear turned and saw him. It was brain pan or nothing. grin
[video:youtube]http://timwellsbowhunter.com/media/youtube-videos/[/video]
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
I agree with most other posters. A 95 yard shot is more about the shooter than showing respect for the game. Way too many variables that can go wrong, which are beyond the shooter's control and impossible to predict. It's an ego stroke when everything goes right, but I'd wager a pretty penny that it goes wrong a whole lot more often. I have too much respect for the animals I hunt to roll those dice.

+1
Originally Posted by las
My thoughts?

I like JJHack's (I think)quote. - "there are 100 things that can happen at long range. and 99 are bad"

No doubt, agree 100%.
I shoot at targets and gophers out to 60 yards a lot..

And I know, even if it's a good shot, that arrow takes a long time to get there.
I hit a gopher at over 60 yards on my second shot once.

As I am a serial harvester of unseen twigs at less than have that range, not to mention having to dope the range and wind, I ain't gonna try it. Plus the deer can move quite a bit in the time the arrow is in the air.

Having the ability to hit something at 100 yards is only a fraction of the equation. A lot of time passes between the time the arrow is released and it reaches the 100 yard mark. During that time, the hunter has absolutely zero control over what takes place. That's a gamble; pure and simple. Anyone who claims otherwise is not being honest with himself.
Originally Posted by eyeball

Shrap, taking nothing from MW but Tim Wells is probably one of the finest shots with a bow ever. He apparently takes flying duck and geese and running game from rabbits to sable with a bow.

I think most archers would enjoy MOST of his shows called Relentless Pursuit.

Is he the young bearded guy that shoots everything from balloons to remote controlled cars???
You've got to take most things Tim Wells does with a grain of salt...

Tanner
Had a very well-known archer/magazine editor/writer on a Kodiak deer hunt a number of years ago. Each day he brought back video of deer missed, maimed, or otherwise mistreated. I want to say they had video of wounding and losing deer at 85 yards and significantly closer, at least several. They had 5 tags and finally killed one on video at 55 yards (IIRC) but it was not usable video with a nasty gut shot.

He was one of the best pure shooters I have ever seen...
Head shot? Yep, that's what I woulda done.
Originally Posted by smokepole

Who wouldn't? grin
like many i've shot targets at 100 plus a few. Never at an animal where my preferred max would 40-50.
Is that a lucky or unlucky miss?
Originally Posted by smokepole

His explanation of why he shot it in the eye due to being an instinctive shooter was pretty funny.
Geez

I shoot at 60 all year so I'm good at 30. I killed a deer in Alabama last year at 47 and 50 is my absolute max for deer. I've shot 55+ on elk, but that is just shy of my elk threshold

Dang, I've seen stuff on a 30 yard shot that makes killing something with a bow seem like voodoo. 100yards? No way.
rangefinders take one heck of a lot of selfcontrol only you or I have it.
Iirc, in the book "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow" by Saxton Pope, he and Arthur Young took many game animals at 80 yards or more with rather crude weapons compared to the much faster equipment used today.
Originally Posted by eyeball
Iirc, in the book "Hunting with the Bow and Arrow" by Saxton Pope, he and Arthur Young took many game animals at 80 yards or more with rather crude weapons compared to the much faster equipment used today.

The fact others have done it doesn't make it a good idea

I feel certain they didn't write much about the ones they wounded and lost
I recall reading an account of a long shot like this by Howard Hill. IIRC, at least the first arrow and possibly the first two, missed clean.
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Having the ability to hit something at 100 yards is only a fraction of the equation. A lot of time passes between the time the arrow is released and it reaches the 100 yard mark. During that time, the hunter has absolutely zero control over what takes place. That's a gamble; pure and simple. Anyone who claims otherwise is not being honest with himself.

This. There's a big difference between shooting something that can take a few steps before the arrow gets there or shooting a piece of foam.
Nobody has mentioned that it was also a down hill shot? so what pin would one use?
There is a pro shooter in our area. I hear stories every year about his killing stuff at long range. I believe he killed a moose at 100yds or so. That being said, the guy has been shooting all his life, shoots everyday, shoots pro, and has a bow setup for those shots. The problem is, every redneck in town follows him around like a whipped pup and they think they can make those shots too, but they can't.

One of his followers took an 80yd shot on a mulie a couple years ago. Shot it right in the ass. He got lucky and they found it later, but if you talk to him it was a spot and stalk hunt worthy of being recognized in Pope and Young.

Originally Posted by las
My thoughts?

BUT define long range...... the abilities are out there, but gun and bow and everything in between.

A LOT of it will depend on conditions and alertness of game.....

Walk a mile in my shoes applies to much of this.

And bottom line if you are worried about wounding... more game is wounded at distances under 200 yards with rifles, than anything else, by simply incompetent weekend warrriors.....

Not that the above evens anything out or makes anything right.

Me.... I shoot 15 steps and less with my bows. Accuracy wise when I was shooting bows enough, hitting an orange or softball size target at 100 yards, was only about gettting the distance correct. And dealing with wind.... the shot process or ability only takes dedication.
My limit is about half that, although I do shoot at 60 and 70 all summer. However, if Tim Wells was shooting at me from 100 yards, I wouldn't expect to walk away. I don't know how he does it, shooting fingers and all, but he makes some incredible shots.
My opinion on long range archery shots (60to100yards) is that it is a mix of the shooter, the bow setup, and the conditions(wind), but mostly the shooter.

Hear is some background on my opinion. I have been shooting competition archery for over ten years(I'm 21) I have owned about ten different bows both hunting and competition. I am by no means a expert I have only taken one deer with a bow every thing else was with a rifle, but I shoot a lot of arrows a year not just at 20 or 30 yards but out to 100 yards. If you practice at longer range have good gear and the condition are in your favor, as long as you are a good shot it up to you and only you from that point on. I know fellow archers who are capable of making shots out to 90yards and have sucsessfuly taking game ethically, but at same time I know others who should never shoot at game as big as a moose past 30yards. Most of it is the shooter, I'm not going to tell a archer that I don't know what they should or shouldn't shoot at I don't know what their abilitys are. But I am confident in what my abilitys are in what conditions I'm in and if the shot is not right I won't shoot no matter the range.
For fun this is my set up

Hoyt Spyder turbo 70lb. 29in draw
Easton axis 340 with fusion vanes
Spott hog Hog-It 7pin
Limb driver pro V arrow rest
Fuse 7in. Blade stabe
Shuttle T-Lock broadheads 100gr.
Tight spot quiver
Stan shootoff! Release
Just got it sighted in last weekend out to 80yd and are ready for spring bear season. The 375 H&H is ready as well:)
Well said AK.

A guide friend of mine shot a mule deer at 100 but the arrow bounced off a rock and then struck the deer.

It would take even more luck than that for me to hit anything much beyond 40 or 50. I can't slam dunk a basketball either but I sure won't tell anyone else they can't.

Good choice on the 375 H&H, you won't need it though.
I can't slam dunk a basketball either but I sure won't tell anyone else they can't.

I've seen lots of people miss dunks, and yet the basket never moves while they are on the way up
The idiot did not deserve such a gorgeous ram!
Practice to 80...max is 40.

Couldn't tell you the percentage of hunting that goes wrong from what is intentionally planned, but I can say that bowhunting magnifies this. Too much yardage on a bowhunting shot is asking fo mo trouble!

40 yards is a long shot at live game with a bow, I don't care what kind of bow you use or how much you practice. I limit myself to 30 yards with my compound and 20 with longbow or recurve. A lot can happen while an arrow is on the way to the intended target over which the hunter has no control. 95 yards is unethical, period.
I want to rephrase that. 95 yards is a very low-percentage shot. The question of ethics is another matter. If I am in a survival situation, I'm going to take the 95-yard shot.
If your needing to take 95 yrd shots with a bow to harvest game, and that's what's important to you, then I suggest you move on to muzzle loading rifles.

Consequently if your into taking 600+ yard shots on game with a rifle, and that's as close as your skills are capable of getting you, then I suggest you take up knitting. Just my opinion.
A co-worker shot a P&Y class pronghorn last year (17"+) at a range he claims of "around" 110 yards.

He also stuck two black bear last year at considerably closer range and didn't recover either one.

The kid spends a lot of time in the field, and is a very knowledgable hunter, but I consider that pretty irresponsible shooting. That kind of stuff seems to be the norm for a LOT of bowhunters I know, sadly enough.

Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
A co-worker shot a P&Y class pronghorn last year (17"+) at a range he claims of "around" 110 yards.

That tells you everything you need to know. No one with an ounce of responsibility guestimates ranges like that when bow hunting.
© 24hourcampfire