Home
Posted By: WyoJoe Speer Deep Curl bullets?? - 05/26/14
Any body used them on game? What was your experiences like?
I've taken 13 deer and 14 hogs with the 120gr, 257 Deep Curl. Great bullet, IME.

The bad news is that Speer has discontinued them. mad
Posted By: WyoJoe Re: Speer Deep Curl bullets?? - 05/26/14
I picked up 500 for the .243 on clearance sale. Thought they might be good for deer & antelope.
I'll bet they will Same technology as the Fusion. Very accurate. Great terminal performance. Price was right.
I'm told that the Fusion IS a Deep Curl. Federal buys them from Speer.
I tried them in 180 gr in a 300 WSM last fall. I got an elk with it but it wasn't a good test as I spined it. Any bullet will knock one down with a broken spine.

There are no stores here that carry Deep Curls and I haven't found them onlline either. I got some from the 24hr classifieds. They're very hard to find, at least in 30 cal.
I was told by a Speer rep that the DC's are discontinued.

My understanding is that the DC's and the Fusion bullets were made using the same technology (electrochemically bonded), but the Fusion bullets are boat tails, and the DC's are (were?) flat based.

Federal and Speer are sister companies
Their website still has DC's splattered all over it as a revolutionary new product. Have they had problems with them?
I've used Speer Hotcores for many years but finding 180 gr 30 cal is a futile effort, too.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Speer Deep Curl bullets?? - 05/26/14
My only experience is that I been shooting deer with 7mm RM Fusion 150 gr load the last 8 seasons. No complaints on either accuracy or performance on game. The Fusion line is fine ammo, I was able to fine all I wanted last year. 7mm RM for some reason was in good supply every were in CT.
Originally Posted by WyoJoe
I picked up 500 for the .243 on clearance sale. Thought they might be good for deer & antelope.

I've used the 90gr Deep Curl in the 243 with good success. The bullet was easy to get to shoot well and performed great on the few deer I shot with them.

Do you have the 80's or 90's? I have about 700 90's left for future carnage, but was never able to catch the 80's in stock anywhere.

I really wish they'd bring them back. I could see using them in several other chamberings. I'd love some 120's for my 260....
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Their website still has DC's splattered all over it as a revolutionary new product. Have they had problems with them?
I've used Speer Hotcores for many years but finding 180 gr 30 cal is a futile effort, too.

I pointed that out to their tech. His first answer was that they left the info there for customers who already had the bullets. When I noted that the website did not just have reloading data, it was loaded with sales info, promoting the "new" bullet line, his comment was something like, "I have a marketing department to deal with".

Pretty shoddy way to run a business, IMHO:

Speer introduces the Deep Shock line of bullets
Speer drops the Deep Shock line of bullets
Speer intros the new Deep Curl line of bullets
Speer says the DCs will replace the Hot Core line
Speer drops the Hot Core line
Speer drops the DC's and brings back the HC's without being up front.

Pretty sad way to run a once proud company.
Posted By: WyoJoe Re: Speer Deep Curl bullets?? - 05/26/14
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I've used the 90gr Deep Curl in the 243 with good success. The bullet was easy to get to shoot well and performed great on the few deer I shot with them.

Do you have the 80's or 90's? I have about 700 90's left for future carnage, but was never able to catch the 80's in stock anywhere.

I really wish they'd bring them back. I could see using them in several other chamberings. I'd love some 120's for my 260....

That is exactly what I needed. I got the 80's.
Originally Posted by southtexas

I pointed that out to their tech. His first answer was that they left the info there for customers who already had the bullets. When I noted that the website did not just have reloading data, it was loaded with sales info, promoting the "new" bullet line, his comment was something like, "I have a marketing department to deal with".

Pretty shoddy way to run a business, IMHO:

Speer introduces the Deep Shock line of bullets
Speer drops the Deep Shock line of bullets
Speer intros the new Deep Curl line of bullets
Speer says the DCs will replace the Hot Core line
Speer drops the Hot Core line
Speer drops the DC's and brings back the HC's without being up front.

Pretty sad way to run a once proud company.
I've been looking for a box or 2 of 30 cal 180 gr Hotcores for a year. If they've brought them back, I've never found them.
Posted By: Bigfoot Re: Speer Deep Curl bullets?? - 05/26/14
Maybe, just maybe they'll wise up and sell us Fusion bullets. An inexpensive bonded/plated BT would work for me. Especially the 120 gr 6.5mm one.
Agree. I'm no marketing guru. But "Fusion" sounds like a lot better name for a bullet than "Deep Curl". And Fusion already has name recognition from the apparently successful ammo om the market.

Just wish they'd get their act together
I'm looking for a bullet with fission more than fusion.
Speer vacillates constantly. They introduced the Grand Slam & right when people were beginning to like it, they changed the alloy mix without disclosure. Never used them again.
Posted By: BigNate Re: Speer Deep Curl bullets?? - 05/28/14
I've heard good things about them so I picked up boxes of them when I found them in a couple calibers. The last deal I found was a box of 225gr .338's I think were $18.

I've yet to shoot a single one.
Posted By: Pittu Re: Speer Deep Curl bullets?? - 05/28/14
I've loaded up lots of the 225 gr deep curls in my 338 WM. they shoot terrific and the price is right, but are to much like a corelokt for me to want to hunt any big game with them. I'll stick to partitions and accubonds for that. They are great cheap target bullets though IMO, and would be great for deer, black bear, probably elk....
I emailed Speer about the availability of 180 gr 30 cal Deepcurls and Hotcores. Here's their response:

The DeepCurl bullets were halted from component bullet sales early this year. The Hot-Cor 180 gr 0.308" is part # 2053 when made the product ships to the oldest order. The Distributor ships to the Retailer based on his orders. When and where the product finds its way to a shelf is unknown to us. The best solutions for getting product is to purchase it on-line or place an order with a Retailer so when the product arrives it has your name on it.
Posted By: Pittu Re: Speer Deep Curl bullets?? - 06/04/14
I noticed in the latest box of Deep Curls that I bought, there is a little slip of paper inside that warns you not to use any load data other than that available from Speer. Supposedly the "molecular bonding" technology causes these bullets to act differently than other jacketed bullets (?).

Have you guys found this warning to have any merit? I know that Barnes says something similar and I can see it with a monolithic bullet that is so long and has all the grooves in it. But does it really make that much difference for a Deep Curl or is it marketing BS?

They only list about 5 or 6 different powders for load data on their load data website (pretty much just Alliant powders). I have the latest Speer manual, but haven't compared loads to Lyman 49 or any others as of yet..
Speer's load data for 180 gr in the 300 WSM lists several IMR's, a couple Reloders, several Hodgdons, and some Ramshot. There's plenty of variety.
Posted By: pahick Re: Speer Deep Curl bullets?? - 06/05/14
I emailed Speer about the availability of 180 gr 30 cal Deepcurls and Hotcores. Here's their response:

The DeepCurl bullets were halted from component bullet sales early this year. The Hot-Cor 180 gr 0.308" is part # 2053 when made the product ships to the oldest order. The Distributor ships to the Retailer based on his orders. When and where the product finds its way to a shelf is unknown to us. The best solutions for getting product is to purchase it on-line or place an order with a Retailer so when the product arrives it has your name on it.

Is these the Hot Cors?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/56...08-diameter-180-grain-spitzer-box-of-100
That's them. They're good bullets. I've taken a lot of elk with them with the 270 and 300 WSM.
Just checked Midway's shipping prices. For a box of those Hotcores plus shipping, you're looking at $41. No thanks.
Posted By: efw Re: Speer Deep Curl bullets?? - 06/05/14
They had (and may still have) free shipping on orders of at least $175. Buy a bunch of em and get em shipped for free & be liberated from the fickleness of the execs at Speer!
Posted By: pahick Re: Speer Deep Curl bullets?? - 06/05/14
Just checked Midway's shipping prices. For a box of those Hotcores plus shipping, you're looking at $41. No thanks.

Midsouth has em too, not sure what their shipping is. But theyre $24.02 a bx

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....Point-100-Count180-Grain-Hot-Cor-Spitzer
Welcome to the world as run by yuppie business school grads. The bottom line is all that matters. Are they still making the Fusion line of factory ammo? I have heard good things about the stuff.
Originally Posted by pahick

Midsouth has em too, not sure what their shipping is. But theyre $24.02 a bx

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....Point-100-Count180-Grain-Hot-Cor-Spitzer
Shipping is $12 for 1 or 2 boxes, going up as you buy more. Its cheaper than Midway anyway but shipping is always a killer.
© 24hourcampfire