Home
Posted By: Esox357 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/19/14
I made a second trip to Ontario and managed to shoot a small sow on the 3rd day of hunting. First bear for me and first kill with the 9.3x62! One of the guys thought it was hit with a shotgun slug ;o)?

They are definitely difficult to judge on size. She apparently was in a "hurry" since she appeared to be scurrying past my bait and took me by complete surprise arriving to left of my stand. I did make a honey burn around 4:30 p.m. but didn't see anything til she showed up around 8:22 p.m. in the evening.

While no trophy by size the meat should be great eating? Some of the other hunters managed some 250 ish lb bears with I believe 1 going 350? There were still hunters who had yet to see a bear so I hope some luck comes their way. I'm already looking forward to next August! I will try to get pics up.

Posted By: mudhen Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/19/14
Congrats! Post pictures of the 9.3x62 along with those of the bear!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/19/14
Thanks Mudhen, I had a "loaner" rifle for the photo shoot since we had a guys pickup. But it was the Czech kind 550 to be exact with a handloaded prvi 285 bullet and Varget. No issue with a blood trail! Try to get photos up here in a couple of hours
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/20/14
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Youper Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/23/14
Good going Esox. I think you'll eating that one. I've got a bear on my bait now, but my tag doesn't start till 9/25.
Good job Esox. Looks like the good ol 9.3x62 did the trick..
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/23/14
Thanks, getting the grill ready for sure! Never had black bear so I'm going to use a recipe that is low heat and moist to keep it from drying out? The backstraps look like they will be great eating.

Good luck on your hunt as well!
BSA, That 9.3 knocked it in the dirt! Very happy with it's performance and can't wait to use it again. I think it will be my dedicated black bear rifle? That 285 grain prvi bullet leaves a blood trail, although you won't need to track with it! Complete pass through, breaking the rear of the shoulders.
Good deal. I love my 9.3x62mm It really knocked the cow elk down that I hammered a couple years ago too. Those 285 privi's are good too. I generally run the 286gr. Nosler partitions because they are cheap when SPS has the seconds on sale. They are pretty darn accurate in my rifle too...
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/23/14
good start to your new obsession. Don't forget to crockpot some roasts, make great sandwiches with a little mayo and horseradish.
BSA, just picked up a couple hundred of the 286 partitions the last sale SPS had. Still need to work up a load but looking like it will be with Big Game powder.

I was really impressed with the 285's from Prvi. Not much info online about how they performed and most I read were just "guessing" how they would work, so now I have 1 actual animal shot with them.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/23/14
223 would have worked too.
Put me out to pasture if I ever get so old and pussified that I have to use a 223 for everything. I'm sure the gamewardens would understand that I'm using an illegal cartridge to boot when they see how frail I am... whistle
I'm sure it would but something is satisfying about using a old cartridge if nothing more than nostalgic? 404 Jefferey would be about the only thing that would make it better?
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/24/14
Congrats Esox! Way to tip 'em over!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/24/14
Thankyou Sir,

Can't wait to do it again. Really need to start looking at a spot and stalk in Washington State or somewhere.
Nice bear. I love hunting in ontario.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/25/14
I would like to do a wolf and moose hunt up there sometime. Great people and amazingly beautiful up there!
Fine bear, Esox!

That 9.3 is your CZ, no? A fine shooter, as I recall.

Congrats,

FC
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/26/14
Hey FC,

Yep that's the "Czech". Got the mounts "secured" and it was shooting almost on top of each other again! I keep think about that Whelen but keep telling myself I must resist? I'm on a 416 Ruger kick for the minute?

Can't wait to get after some hogs next.

Hope all is well on your end!

Nice work and congrats on the bear!
I also shot my first black bear with a 9.3x62mm. It's a solid, all around cartridge and I'm a big fan of it in general.

If you're interested, the full story of the bear is below.
http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/2013/08/georgia-black-bear-html/
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BCJR Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/27/14
Do they make you keep bear meat in Ontario? Congrats on your bear , i love hunting them , anywhere anytime.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/27/14
Congrats Big Game on your hunt! That 9.3 makes a blood trail but you won't need it.
Originally Posted by BCJR
Do they make you keep bear meat in Ontario? Congrats on your bear , i love hunting them , anywhere anytime.

Excerpt from Ont.Hunting Regulations summary, 2013/2014, pg. 29
"You may not let the flesh of any harvested game wildlife (see definition, page 86) other than furbearing mammals, which is suitable for food be spoiled or abandoned. This includes black bear. A hunter who kills a furbearing mammal shall not abandon the pelt or permit the pelt to be spoiled or destroyed."

Trust this answers your question.

Jim
Originally Posted by Esox357
BSA, just picked up a couple hundred of the 286 partitions the last sale SPS had. Still need to work up a load but looking like it will be with Big Game powder.

I was really impressed with the 285's from Prvi. Not much info online about how they performed and most I read were just "guessing" how they would work, so now I have 1 actual animal shot with them.

I've used 9,3X62 and 9,3X74R quite a bit, and I've shot a lot of different bullets.

I have to say that unless you're hunting something big like buffalo, the Previs are fine for anything else. In fact, they have given me my best groups when run out at 2,350-2,400 FPS.

CONGRATULATIONS ON A SUCCESSFUL HUNT!!! laugh laugh
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 08/28/14
Thanks Luv2safari,

I picked up some 286 grain Nosler Partions that I will be working up with Big Game powder and see if they will give me good accuracy? If so I will make the "switch" since I don't take many shots and should be a great do everything bullet all the way up to the largest game?
That's a good eating size!

Be sure to cook adequately to 165*.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 9.3x62 first black bear! - 09/02/14
Will do. Still looking over recipes but the backstraps are getting eaten first!
© 24hourcampfire