Home
Well, after missing my annual trip to Wyoming last year due to work obligations I decided I'd go this year come hell or high water:) Missing a season due to work is just wrong IMHO! Anyway, work was still causing issues but I had a small window last week where things looked good and I could sneak off to Kaycee for a quick hunt. I double checked the weather forecast for Wyoming which also was great so Thursday morning off I went! Always look forward to seeing this after a long drive!
[Linked Image]

My plan was to arrive in Kaycee, check in at the KC RV where I stay Friday mid-morning, check in with the rancher who's place I hunt on and try and get in a couple hours of hunting later that afternoon. Since I had a buck tag and 2 doe tags to fill and only that afternoon, Saturday and part of Sunday to hunt I figured I better get after it:)

So Saturday was probably the most frustrating day of antelope hunting I have ever had. The season in the unit I hunt had been open for 2+ weeks so the antelope where way skittish- usually on past hunts the does would at least let you get pretty close. Not this year they would run as soon as they saw the rig if you got within a mile of them, then run 2 more miles and then maybe stop to look back! But after a most frustrating day where I think I made a lot of mistakes due to always feeling rushed I did manage to fill both doe tags but never did get close to a buck. I was solo and didn't have my camera so not field shots that day. But according to my gps I walked 16 miles that day, which was plenty for this old guy:)

Sunday morning started off the same as Saturday, several more missed stocks on bucks where I usually made one mistake or another and never could get a good position to take a shoot. I was basically ready to call it a day and was walking back to the rig when I figured what the heck try one more spot to see if I could find a buck. Well, I did find one and actually managed to make everything work. I did 9 miles that morning so was more than happy to take this little guy:) He isn't the biggest buck I saw, heck I saw several bigger and a bunch at least as big but I'm sure happy to have gotten this one at the last minute. And like several others have mentioned I never did see any really big bucks this year, saw two really nice ones but no monsters. So anyway here is the hero shot, rifle used was my Kampfeld .243 which sure works well for antelopes!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I usually never remember to take any scenery pictures but here are a couple. The cactus in this first picture covers about everything and is lots of fun to crawl through-grin.
But Wyoming is a wonderful place and great people!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Congrats!!!

Antelope hunting was hard out there this year.

Dink
Great pics and story. I've been helping friends fill their tags and haven't filled mine yet. Maybe this weekend but it is supposed to be in the 80's! Freezer is close to full and I have to make room for an elk, but I may go out and tip a pronghorn over.
Congrat's on a nice goat with a nice rifle.....what kind of pack you using?
You did very well! Hope you enjoyed it. Congrats!
Posted By: 805 Re: My 2 day Wyoming antelope hunt - 10/22/14
Great Job Frank!! Congrats on the nice buck!

Which bullet did you end up using in the 243?
Posted By: efw Re: My 2 day Wyoming antelope hunt - 10/22/14
Nice job I agree; being forced to miss a season because of work ain't right!

Well done Frank.

I know it sucks to be rushed but it looks like you had a great time which is the important thing!

Nice pictures....

smile
Nice job Frank! Love seeing those away speedgoats down...

WY not away. Stupid autocorrect......
And nice Trail Edition 4Runner...
Thanks everyone, I doubt I've ever had a better time then my hunts in Wyoming. About as good a people as I've ever met anywhere and the hunting is just great.

The pack I use is a Mystery Ranch Dragonslayer pack, its the older version from about 3-4 years ago but I sure like it a lot.

Andy, the bullet/ammo was factory Fusion 95 grain- my favorite:) In the picture with me and the antelope, you can just see the exit wound at the back-end of my scope and stock. The antelope was standing quartering away from me, I hit him just right behind the shoulder and the bullet existed on the other side just in front of the shoulder. Shot was a longish 137 yards-grin.
Well done amigo!!
Way to persevere! Nice looking buck and lots of meat for the freezer.
Good job staying with it, putting in the miles and getting it done. That's antelope hunting done right.
One of these days were going to have to meet up out there. We were within a day or two a couple years ago. Congrats on filling those tags. Looks like a good time and nice weather. All those 7mm08s and your always packing that 243!
Congratulations, Frank! You must have put a good stalk on to get to 137 yards!!

It looks like you had a great hunt! cool

Eric
Congratulations
An Antelope hunt is on my bucket list, hope to take a buck as nice as yours!
Great write up and good job on getting it done solo !

Numbers were lower this year for sure. See ya next year
Originally Posted by Sendero_man

You got it Scott, if everything works out maybe next year you can spot for me and let me know what a big buck looks like-grin
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Originally Posted by Sendero_man

You got it Scott, if everything works out maybe next year you can spot for me and let me know what a big buck looks like-grin

Count me in! Grins
Frank, congrats on gettin it done in only a couple days.
Dad and I had a blast.
We killed a couple does Tuesday shooting at the same time and I killed a buck Wed afternoon.
Anyway, it was good meeting and talking with you Monday. Thanks for all your help this year. Maybe we can meet up there again and hunt together in the next few years.
Congrats on a nice one.
Originally Posted by slip_sinker
Frank, congrats on gettin it done in only a couple days.
Dad and I had a blast.
We killed a couple does Tuesday shooting at the same time and I killed a buck Wed afternoon.
Anyway, it was good meeting and talking with you Monday. Thanks for all your help this year. Maybe we can meet up there again and hunt together in the next few years.

Glad you guys had a good time, pleasure meeting you and your dad.
Guess its time to start planning for next year:)
Congrats on the antelope
Hey Frank you have to love it when those last minute plans do come together.As we talked mine almost did but tags sold out before I had it finalized.

Job well done.

Mark

Originally Posted by DINK
Congrats!!!

Antelope hunting was hard out there this year.

Dink

Not joking!
© 24hourcampfire