Home
Posted By: Pirate A good CO pronghorn - 10/31/14
Earlier this month I went back to my native CO to hunt pronghorn. I drew a buck tag for units 12 and 211 and had decided to hunt the entire season if needed for a good buck since I hadn't been able to return to CO in several years despite the fact that I'm still a CO resident.

The area I was hunting was in the northwest corner of the state and is directly south of the towns of Maybell and Craig. The antelope herd in the units I had the tag for had been hit by a bad winter several years ago and is still recovering. For that reason the state only allowed 5 buck tags. I selected this area simply because I knew it would have very little pressure. Despite having the entire season to hunt I ended up filling my tag on opening day.

I took this buck at about 120 yards with a single round from my old 7mm Mag. He was simply too good to pass up. His right horn taped a little more than 15 inches and had double prongs. His left horn was a little over 14 inches due to a broken tip. Both horns had pretty good prongs and good mass. The really interesting thing was he had a 3rd horn about an inch long growing out of the bridge of his nose. This is something I had never seen before.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bwinters Re: A good CO pronghorn - 10/31/14
Thats a dandy Colorado 'Lope! Good job.
Posted By: mudhen Re: A good CO pronghorn - 10/31/14
That one has a lot of character in addition to a having a damned nice shape! Opening day or not, you picked a good one. Congratulations!
Posted By: davidlea Re: A good CO pronghorn - 10/31/14
Very cool buck! Love the double prongs. Good on you!
Posted By: RenoH414 Re: A good CO pronghorn - 10/31/14
Very nice buck!! Thanks for sharing the pic.

Reno
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: A good CO pronghorn - 11/01/14
Congratulations
© 24hourcampfire