Home
Had an excellent Alberta Moose hunt this week. Killed this 52" bull on day 2 of a 10 day hunt. Passed up 5 bulls on day one and another on day 2. Excellent hunt. Spotted the moose on the other side of the bog about a mile away at daylight. He was feeding with another shooter 50" bull. Stalked to 475 and couldn't get steady enough on my two legged shooting sticks to ensure a clean shot so crept another 20 yards to a small pine tree with a solid shoulder-high branch. He was next to a creek but the timber was only 40 yards behind him so he could escape quickly with a miss or poorly placed shot. I was using the Gunwerks LR1200 in .300 Win that I bought off Joe Biltz here on the forum. I had developed a load with the 190 LRAB and I4831 that did 2980 at the muzzle and easily shot .5 MOA. Gunwerks had printed me a custom turret for the load and also given me the drop chart for the G7 holdover reticle. I cranked the nightforce G7 to 10.5 power and just used the holdover reticle instead of spinning the turret. No place in the waist high brush to get a clear shot off a bipod. Let the first one fly and it entered his shoulder, breaking it, clipping both lungs and coming to rest in the opposite shoulder. He turned away from me but I could see him spitting and coughing blood into the snow. I was thinking he would tip over any minute but he stood there facing away from me for at least 30 seconds and then took a step quartering away from me and I let another fly. It hit the last rib and exited the brisket. He went down hard. I couldn't believe how heavy his horns felt when I finally got across the bog and the creek. He's my best moose yet and I can't wait to go back next year.

Joe

[Linked Image]

We quartered him, caped him and took all the scrap meat in the field. 7 hours worth if work for 3 guys!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I haven't weighed the bullet for weight retention yet but will when I get home.

Nice, looks like the bullet did what it should have
Very nice!!
Nice bull.

That is a great bull! Glad the bullet worked for you as well...

Were you able to get ATV's or horses up to it?
Good going Joe!! What a great story and post. Congrats on a fine hunt and a super bull!
Originally Posted by Greenbrier

It's an area that is closed to ATV access but we got a Kubota side by side within a mile and there was a good trail to pack it over to the Kubota.
Congrats Joe, looks like you had a great time!!
Cool hunt and job.

Nice retention it looks like.

I shot almost a twin to him in september. My 210 ttsx weighs 210 grains today and I'm very happy with that.

Took me from about 7pm to midnight to cape, quarter, debone etc... and load it all on the polaris. I know that feeling. Hours of work after you pull the trigger. Very rewarding though. Maybe next time I"ll have some help on the work. Solo hunt this time.
That is a beautiful animal.

Seems the 190LRAB is a perfect match for that application.

Nice rifle too.

Congrats all round.
Congratulations
Congrats on the great bull. Nice rifle by the way. I take it you like it.
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
Originally Posted by Greenbrier

It's an area that is closed to ATV access but we got a Kubota side by side within a mile and there was a good trail to pack it over to the Kubota.

If you can pack a moose for a mile...Wanna hunt Alaska??!!! lol
Good stuff.

Congrats.
Yep, congratulations on that one.
Nice bull and nice story. What'd ya do the other 8 days?
Congratulations Joe, great hunt.

Nice looking moose.
Very cool.
May I ask where and whom with in Alberta you were hunting?

Thanks GRF
Great bull, good shooting.
A Beauty! Love the pics. I'd love to try that some day. Congrats!
Congrats !!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome work Joe! Great bull

Lee
KT, very nice bull there!
Very nice!
Nice! And congratulations.

See Alaska forum "Hold for Air" for my scrub... smile

Friggin moose ain't just a PITA, they are an addiction!
Sweet! Congrats on your bull Joe!
Nice bull!

Did you go with friends or was it a guided hunt? Looks like fun!
Well done. Congrats.
Great Bull ! Look's like that bullet performed just like it is supposed to !
Wow, what a hunt! Congratulations, Joe!! Great shooting and awesome looking bull!

Are you going to get a shoulder mount done?

Was it a PITA to get your rifle into Alberta?

Eric
Awesome! Nice bull, good write up. Mind me asking how many pounds of boned out meat you estimated during recovery?
Man that is a great bull, congrats! Also I just wanted to say, what a fantastic job of meat recovery. I don't think it would be possible to get any more meat from that animal.
Very nice bull congrats on that one, that bullet looks text book, where abouts in Alberta were you hunting.
What was the estimated velocity at the target?
Great post and hunt there, for sure.
Originally Posted by EricM
Wow, what a hunt! Congratulations, Joe!! Great shooting and awesome looking bull!

Are you going to get a shoulder mount done?

Was it a PITA to get your rifle into Alberta?

Eric

Yes, Eric. I decided to splurge for the shoulder mount since it was such a good bull. Easy to get the gun in - fill out a form at the border and pay $25. They never even looked at the guns.
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Awesome! Nice bull, good write up. Mind me asking how many pounds of boned out meat you estimated during recovery?

Estimating 350-380 lbs of meat. It weighed 480 with the leg bones in.
Originally Posted by INTHEMTNS
Very nice bull congrats on that one, that bullet looks text book, where abouts in Alberta were you hunting.

About an hour west of Calgary near Water Valley.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
What was the estimated velocity at the target?

Had to run that through the ballistic computer - should be right around 2325 fps. Still over 2200 lbs of energy.

I used the .338 RUM with 250 grain Accubonds on my last moose. 150 yards, put the first one right in the boiler room. He just stood there and acted like he hadn't been hit. 20 seconds went by. Put another an inch from the first. He felt that one for some reason. Dropped in his tracks. Eventually I'll only shoot one once�

Originally Posted by MadMooner
Nice bull!

Outfitter. Not sure you can get a Moose tag in Canada as a US citizen otherwise.
Joe, I'm glad you're getting a shoulder mount done. It's too nice not to!

2014 is treating you well!! smile

Eric
Joe-
Gorgeous moose and great chootin'!!! Congrats.
Awesome moose Joe. With that much meat you'll have yummy eating for some time.

Thanks for sharing
Nice bull!

Outfitter. Not sure you can get a Moose tag in Canada as a US citizen otherwise.

Gotcha- Wasn't sure if you can hunt with a resident non-guide.

Awesome bull! Thanks for sharing!
Wow Joe! What a beast. That mount will be fantastic. Congratulations and nice shooting.
A great story, pictures, and trophy! Thanks for posting for all to enjoy.
Very nice job, Joe. Great memory for sure.

Nice shot and a great looking bull. Good to have the cool weather too.
Nice bull Joe! Super jealous as a moose is still on my bucket list.

Congrats on a great looking bull. Will make a heck of a shoulder mount, and some good eating!
Nice bull.
Nice bull!

Congratulations on a great moose! Can you share the outfitter either here or via PM? thanks! jorge
...Eventually I'll only shoot one once�

Nothing wrong with taking a second shot if they are still standing. Better than losing the animal or ending up with a difficult recovery.

Nice bull - congrats!
Excellent shooting fantastic animal and great performance from the projectile thanks for the report Joe congrats on your success!!
We quartered him, caped him and took all the scrap meat in the field. 7 hours worth if work for 3 guys!

[Linked Image]

That photo, right there, says enough, about you, for me to say "You're welcome at my campfire, anytime" !

Great hunt.
Congratulations on a helluve bull, glad to know about the LRAB's performance on heavy game, I have a pile of 210's for one of my 300 Win's.
Nice bull. A one mile pack is still a long pack. Hope you got a front shoulder to pack. Sounds like a great trip.
With BC's like the LRAB's have & bullet performance like than, the Hornady A-Max lovers are going to be wringing their hands & whining. laugh

Nice bull, good shooting, congrats.

MM
© 24hourcampfire