Home
I picked up a 84L in .270 a couple weeks ago and had it shooting the first time out. Under an inch at 100 yards with 130 Partitions.

Last week a buddy and I made a road trip to Montana with deer tags in hand. For the first three days we hunted Whitetails. I had a very brief chance at a dandy buck that shot out of heavy cover like a missile following a doe that I accidentally bumped. The following day this is all we found in the same area.

[Linked Image]

We spent the third day listening to the wolves howl and decided to head east and look for Mulies. On the sixth day of the hunt we found ourselves 2 1/2 miles from the truck in about a foot of snow. I was glassing the bottom of a canyon and saw a buck standing near a large brush patch following a doe. I ranged him at 330 yards but couldn't get a decent rest due to the roll of the hill. I'm not sure if he spotted me moving or winded me but for whatever reason he bounded up the hill about 100 yards and stopped looking across the canyon at me. I was able to finagle my pack over my legs as a makeshift rest and shot for 350. He was quartered away but looking back in my direction. I hit left of where I was aiming and broke his neck making for a very short tracking job.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The pack was fairly miserable up and out of the Canyons in the snow. With only about 1 1/2 miles left to go my buddy killed a 3X3 that we added to the packs and kept going. We made it to the truck well after dark and I was pretty happy to be there.

I was shooting the 84L with Talleys and a VX-II 3-9 with the LRD. My rifle weighs 6lbs 8oz with the lightweight sling. I found the 130 Partition under the hide of the offside. It weighed 76.1 grains or 58.5% of its original weight.

I was really impressed with the Kimber after packing it for a week. It's light, feels good and the fit and finish is excellent. I wish I had bought it sooner! grin

Andy
Nice work! congrats on a cool hunt.

Especially glad to hear those 130gr partitons from your .270 didn't bounce off.....
They never do. But I keep trying just in case the naysayers are right. whistle
Congrats on a fine buck!
Congrats, sounds like fun, and just a wee bit of work!
Congrats Andy - you guys always manage to find a couple good bucks!!
Congratulations
Nice buck, and GO BEAVS!
Sweet pics!
Nice work Andy; great deer, nice rifle, and stunning country! Doesn't get any better than that!
Nice buck you got there.
Outstanding! That's a nice buck.
Good job aheider!!
Congrats. Nice buck and rifle.
Great story and pictures.
Very cool! Great times and pics.
Nice deer.
Looks like you had a good hunt.

Thanks for sharing.
Do love the .270 eating 130 gr Partitions!

Mike
Should i take my Sako to Finnland?
I would. But that's just me....
That's great stuff there! Sort of a "classic" hunt that you will always remember and tell stories about it.
© 24hourcampfire