Home
Posted By: Landkiller Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/11/15
I am thinking about trying to hunt oryx in New Mexico, any info,thoughts, or recomendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us

Here is the New Mexico G & F website.
Posted By: zia Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/11/15
what do you want to know? There are opportunities on and off range, look at the proclamation and if you still have questions PM me.
It's a hard tag to draw, start applying.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/12/15
I'd like to know a couple of things myself.
1. Assuming I don't draw, can I still hunt oryx in NM with LO permit?
2. Assuming I get a LO permit, is it good only for the same seasons as dictated by NM F&G?
Posted By: SLM Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/12/15
1. Yes
2. The LO authorization/lic. is good for 30 days and has to follow the same as the off range dates.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/12/15
Thanks!
Posted By: pointer Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/12/15
Originally Posted by colorado bob
It's a hard tag to draw, start applying.
Yes, and got a LOT harder a few years ago...
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/12/15
I am 12-0 as a resident once-in-a lifetime/ Depredation. Good luck and if drawn, it is the best meat a person can eat!
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/14/15
Geezuz! Over $1600 for non resident? You could fly round trip to S. Africa for that....and you don't have to wait for the lottery.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/14/15
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Geezuz! Over $1600 for non resident? You could fly round trip to S. Africa for that....and you don't have to wait for the lottery.

And you don't get to bring the meat home, which is why I want to hunt one here. I've shot 3 of them in Africa. I'm well aware what that costs.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/14/15

You can fly to S Africa, and get a hunt and trophy fee to shoot one for under 1600? I would be amazed.

I"m with JG though, one reason I hunt is to enjoy the meat. Africa would not allow that.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/14/15
rost495, I realize the restrictions on meat tansport and not suggesting one can partake in an all inclusive hunt to SA and back for $1600, just questioning the state of NM for such high non resident fees.

Posted By: eyeball Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/14/15
That is a real concern susequent to them having drastically reduced their numbers in recent years after complaints by ranchers.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/14/15
rost495, I realize the restrictions on meat tansport and not suggesting one can partake in an all inclusive hunt to SA and back for $1600, just questioning the state of NM for such high non resident fees.

Supply and demand my friend! It is sad but hunting will never get cheaper.....

How much time and money do you have?? With the Outfitter well-fare system in NM, if you sign on with a outfitters and apply for a off range hunt, you'll almost certainly draw a tag.

Off range hunts are fun, but you need to devote a lot of time and fuel to the adventure. If you've got the time, I'd recommend this approach.
Posted By: Buzzie Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 01/25/15
I've heard the Stallian range has a lot of broken horns on it and the quality has gone down. Hunting on base can be nerve racking as well if they have operations and your hunt is cut short.
Posted By: efw Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/18/15
What's the favored way for a great experience & representative head; on or of White Sands?

If Ya score a White Sands tag can you bring a spotter (observer w/o tag)?
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/18/15
I drew the Stallion Range on White Sands back in 2011. I had a decent hunt I guess, but not as good as I had expected. I never thought I'd hunt Africa at that time, but in the last 3 years I have gone on 6 safaris in 3 different countries taking almost 100 animals, many of them gemsbok.

I can't really speak of the off range hunts except to say that I have heard it can be a rather tough hunt taking lots of time.

I took a observer, unless something has changed they just have to go through the same background check as the hunter.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SLM Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/18/15
Originally Posted by efw
What's the favored way for a great experience & representative head; on or of White Sands?

As mentioned, the off range hunts have gotten pretty tough. The on range hunts are not what they use to be either.

If I were traveling far, I would go on range or a ranch hunt.

Yes, you can bring a visitor.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/19/15

I would just stay there until I got it all ate up wink
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/19/15
If someone told me I could go over to NM and shoot an oryx for $1600 and take the meat home, I'd be there tomorrow.
Posted By: Buzzie Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/19/15
I agree with JGRaider. That meat is the best.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/20/15
Man! I'm glad that I got mine years ago when I lived there. I killed one once-in-a-lifetime Oryx and two on depredation hunts on the range. The last depredation was for a great bull on Stallion Range that they were afraid was going to tear down some fence. That is the best meat in the world as far as I am concerned. Cool critters.

Each hunt cost me $41 and a little gas.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/20/15
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
I drew the Stallion Range on White Sands back in 2011. I had a decent hunt I guess, but not as good as I had expected. I never thought I'd hunt Africa at that time, but in the last 3 years I have gone on 6 safaris in 3 different countries taking almost 100 animals, many of them gemsbok.

Did you just decide one day that Africa was your new interest?
Posted By: zia Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/21/15
Last few years the on-range population ran around 1500 down from a high of 2500-3500. An important factor was a prolonged-killing freeze a few years ago that killed a whole age class of oryx. Now you see lots of broken horn and "mulie" ( no ear) animals as a result. Having said that I still saw multiple trophy animals while driving the range. Management of the oryx seems to also depend on the attitude of the Commander, some seem to like the oryx around and others not so much. Still a great hunt but you have to work a bit harder
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/21/15
Originally Posted by sbhooper

You're officially banned.......from the WORLD!😆
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/22/15
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by Jeffpg

Did you just decide one day that Africa was your new interest?

I started working in Africa a little over 3 years ago. With my transportation already paid for, I decided to book a safari...

The rest is history.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/22/15
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by efw

As mentioned, the off range hunts have gotten pretty tough. The on range hunts are not what they use to be either.

If I were traveling far, I would go on range or a ranch hunt.

Yes, you can bring a visitor.

A couple years ago I know you could bring two non hunters, I believe it's three now.
I've hunted em twice.
Wife and I had a wonderful time.
The meat is awesome. No matter the cut, it's all tender, and gamey taste free. Surprising, for what they eat.
Posted By: SKane Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 04/27/15
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I would just stay there until I got it all ate up wink

laugh
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 05/06/15
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by sbhooper

You're officially banned.......from the WORLD!😆

lol!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PrimeBeef Re: Oryx hunt in New Mexico - 05/08/15
Originally Posted by zia
Last few years the on-range population ran around 1500 down from a high of 2500-3500. An important factor was a prolonged-killing freeze a few years ago that killed a whole age class of oryx. Now you see lots of broken horn and "mulie" ( no ear) animals as a result. Having said that I still saw multiple trophy animals while driving the range. Management of the oryx seems to also depend on the attitude of the Commander, some seem to like the oryx around and others not so much. Still a great hunt but you have to work a bit harder

FWIW, the on-range population "high" was actually 5,000 or so - at least it was 15 years ago when I talked to the WSMR biologist on my OLT hunt. That's when they really started to ramp up the permit numbers.

I don't know that the freeze (which was fairly recent) affected the herd numbers as much as the increased hunting did. I did hear that the freeze contributed to more broken horned animals.

© 24hourcampfire