Home
A 30-40 honest crag pure butter and old s&w 30-06 just me on this..
Colt Sauer.
Golden Eagle, but I can't remember who made them. This was many years ago though.
I bought a used Win 70 in 06 with a bolt that must have been worked thousands of time. It was as smooth as i've ever felt.

You really need to try a Colt Sauer before you really know slick...

[Linked Image]
A Browning A-Bolt. (Flame suit on!)

I only own one, all my other bolt actions are Winchesters, weatherbys or Rugers. But every time I work the action on the a-bolt I'm impressed with how smooth and positive it feels. If only they'd do something about the funky finish.
SMLE
Unlubed: Weatherby Lubed: the rest are okay.
Schultz & Larsen

Thank me later
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

That's NICE! What's she chambered in?
Most bolt rifles pushing a 300 H&H cartridge.
I've got a Sako 591 7mm-08 that if blindfolded and handed the rifle, you couldn't tell if you cycled the bolt dry or fed one out of the magazine. Slickest I've ever tried.
Originally Posted by viking
Golden Eagle, but I can't remember who made them. This was many years ago though.

Nikko
Weatherby Mk V
I had a feeling the answers would be the guns owned. smile
I have a 1908 M-S and a Krag Carbine, both slick as glass.

[Linked Image]

Have always wanted one so bad, never spent the money on it.

I keep looking though from time to time, dang they ain't getting cheaper, but IIRC in the 80s when I was in a gun shop they were not cheap either... talked to a local guy thats getting older, that has 3, nope won't part with any of em....

Interesting takes... I have run an Abolt, and thought it was horrible compared to any of my 700s.

I have a couple of MK5s, and think they are crap too compared to others.

Colt holds it as the best I've personally ever cycled.
Originally Posted by Otter6

[Linked Image]

That's NICE! What's she chambered in?

It is a 22-250 and this weekend is going to be hell for prairie dogs. I put a Swarovski Z-5 3.4-18X44 scope on it. I bore sighted it and shot to get on paper. The first shot was low left, I adjusted it too far higher and right and you can see the second shot. I then cut the adjustment back by 1/2 and the third shot speaks for itself.

People may badmouth Swarovski Scopes and not have anything good to say about a Colt Sauer, but this is as near a lazer as I have in my rifle safe. I couldn't miss a gopher with it anywhere from 60 yards to 335...

[Linked Image]
Always been impressed with the glassy, oily-slick smoothness of a Mannlicher Schoenauer.They put a lot of machine and hand work into those

The cams on a pre 64 M70 contribute to rapid, smooth bolt movement. One reason they were a favorite for match shooting. Broken in, they work really well on a hunting rifle, too.

I thought the EdBrown actions were very well made and extremely smooth.
BarHunter,

I had a feeling the answers would be the guns owned. smile

The way I test for "slick running" is to work the action while holding it against my shoulder as if hunting. That puts a torque on the bolt, at least in my case, and really separates the slick from the binders quickly. My Weatherby needs no Moly-slide to function "slick" but the others do. So they get a little lube on them.
Slick is nice,
A cheap old ugly Savage works for me.
I like predictable function down range, first.
Admitting I been soured years ago by a 77 that I thought was smooth, but didn't hold a group.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My Sako .243 and a close second is my Ruger stainless MKII 25-06.

Neil
This may sound weird, but I've owned several tang-safety Ruger 77's that were very slick-running, including the 7mm-08 on hand right now.
I'm going to have to drop the cash for a Colt one day.. just gonna have to happen. I can see that.

But other things always get in teh way... LOL.
Older Sakos and Tikkas are pretty dang smooth too except they don't shoot worth a damn
Pre 64 Mod 70 .300 H&H beats everything else I've tried. --- Mel
My tikka T3 in .270 is the smoothest bolt I have ever run. The only thing close was a M700 that had the bolt NP3'd.
Mannlicher-Schoenauer.
Push feed Winchester Model 70s have been the slickest bolts I have worked. Slicker than the control feeds I have owned, for whatever reason.
Sako 75 , slickest feeding rifle i ever owned.
Tikka t3 for me. It amazes me how well they feed, even in the WSM's
Sauer model 90. My dad and I have consecutive serial numbered 7mm Rem Mags, both shoot amazing and are the smoothest I've ever felt.
I have a Remington classic in 300 Win mag smooth for sure.
Although I have both CF and PF Model 70's, the PF's are hard to beat.

My smoothest is a hand honed .458 that was electroless nickel plated. It is as smooth as roller bearings on glass.

John
Husqvarna/ Carl Gustaf push feed (model 1900) made in the early 70's

Smooth
[Linked Image]

Need I say more? wink
Weatherby MK V for me. My A Bolt is pretty danged slick too.
Model 54 winchester
The Tikka T3, 1898 Krag, and push feed Model 70's are the slickest actions I have ever encountered.
What Royce said!
3rd for Mannlicher-Schoenauer. Had a 6.5x54 carbine for a while. Never seen an action that was even close to that smooth and slick.
The two smoothest I've had were a Saurer 202 in 25/06 and a Krico in .223.
My Krico 222 is pretty darn smooth.
Used a push-feed Model 70 in NRA High Power competition, with rapid fire strings. It was pretty doggone slick.

Very impressed with a good old .30-40 Krag too... Wow...

SMLE is pretty incredible. Hard to stay with, using other actions.

Guy
Krag Jorgenson.
1898 Krag and this Krico 600 series .223.

[Linked Image]
I've got a few Krags that are smooth in operation. One of the better modern modern rifles I have is an Mauser in 300 weatherby that has 3 large lugs and an huge fat bolt design. I bought it in the early 90's and in this country they are pretty rare.

I believe the action is by Voere. It an step above our commercial American bolt rifles.
Of those in my possession the best is an early 90's Winchester M70 Custom Super Grade (controlled feed) in 7 Rem. Mag.

Jim
Originally Posted by Otter6
Colt Sauer.

Yes sir! I have two model 90's and have never seen another action smoother than they are.

Mike

I remember fondling a Colt Sauer 40 yrs or so ago...

should have bought one then.......here's one on GB

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=487341123
I have an Ed Brown .300 WM and Pre-64's.

I'll have to agree with Ringman, my MkV is slicker/faster than either of those.

I have an older CZ 550 with butter knife handle. It's an unusual model, I haven't seen another quite like it. It was used when I traded for it and is super slick. Check out the bolt handle positions, almost like a 60* throw, not a 90*. I can cycle this one really fast. BTW, it's a 7x57.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have an Ed Brown .300 WM and Pre-64's.

I'll have to agree with Ringman, my MkV is slicker/faster than either of those.

I have an older CZ 550 with butter knife handle. It's an unusual model, I haven't seen another quite like it. It was used when I traded for it and is super slick. Check out the bolt handle positions, almost like a 60* throw, not a 90*. I can cycle this one really fast. BTW, it's a 7x57.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

sweet looking cz
That makes a fine cristle hour glass look nasty!

[Linked Image]

While it has been a long time since I handles one, I would have to agree with this statement.
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
Sako 75 , slickest feeding rifle i ever owned.

Me too.
Colt Saur
Mannlicher-Schoenauer
Sako AV
I'll agree with the Colt Sauer. Not that big a deal for me, I have no problem with a Ruger, Mauser, M70, etc. Slickest one I've owned personally was a Mannlicher/Schoenauer
A well worn Wby MkV is definitely smooth. Regardless of what you may think of plastic, the Tikka T3s are pretty dang slick as well.
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Schultz & Larsen

Thank me later

I have one and I would agree.
US Springfield Krag Model 1898
Slick/smoothest feeding rifle I've got is an old No4-MK1* Enfield.
Have a Rem 700 that was polished in all the right places and it is slippery slick.

Since I'm a lefty Rem 700's have kind of been my staples; mine have never left me thinking "smooth.". Later in life I've come to use some Blasers, both the R93 and R8; they are smooth due to their radically different bolt which rides on two "thin" rails in their raceways. These rails are not locking lugs, just bolt carriers, so there is much less surface area involved.

But back to the 700. I had a semi-custom 284 made up out of a 700 SA and like about everything about it except the "gritty-sticky" bolt throw. I had a PGT one piece bolt made for it mostly for a longer bolt handle and bigger bolt knob. I like it and it's also much more slick. I don't quite know if this is a function of better finish or more precise machining or some of both but am very pleased.
coat inside action and bolt body with ultra bore coat is a decent start at slicking things up.

Obviously will help if bolt body is polished etc... before refinishing and recoating.
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
A well worn Wby MkV is definitely smooth. Regardless of what you may think of plastic, the Tikka T3s are pretty dang slick as well.

I burned up a 300 tube on one... started as a fibermark, has a new barrel on it. Its still far from anything I'd call smooth.

But I still base smooth off the Colt sauer and would like to know if anyone has compared side by side a Colt and the others mentioned as being slick....

I will buy something one day and likely a Colt.

have to replace the guns I lost in the boating accident anyway.
The 2 smoothest actions I've felt are both in my possession. One is a BSA 458 Win, the other is my old Tikka M595. The Tikka feeds with less effort, the BSA just feels more solid.
Ever felt a Colt Sauer?
What about one of those Heyms that cams ball bearings out of the bolt body for lock-up? That ought to be pretty slick.

Mule Deer killed a couple of deer in Ireland with one in .25/06, I think.
I have an old trusty ruger m77MKII that is slicker than snot on a doorknob. became that way from LOTS of use. I need to look at a rebarrel job soon I think
If anyone sees a bolt action that can run, let me know so it can run to the top of the mountain instead of me carrying it!
Tikka, hands down. No break-in required for slick action.
Mannlicher Schoenauer is #1:
[Linked Image]
My Sedgely Springfield Sporter is smoother than my Weatherby Mark V or any of my Winchesters.

Originally Posted by 4ager
Mannlicher-Schoenauer.

Bingo! I love my Winchesters and Rugers but the actions on these rifles are amazing.
Husqvarna 1640's aren't too bad.
I had a Sako Hi Power on an FN action that was extra smooth.
Originally Posted by mohick
If anyone sees a bolt action that can run, let me know so it can run to the top of the mountain instead of me carrying it!

Thank you. I have come to detest the pervasive use of that word in the shooting community. Trickle down from the black rifle crowd.
© 24hourcampfire