Home
Posted By: JerradPelzer Getting close (bear hunt) - 08/01/15
Well I posted this spring about some different caliber/bullet combos for an upcoming black bear hunt for my wife in Wyoming the first part of Sept. I have had a little time to do some shooting but not as much as I'd like, anyhow have the below going let me know what you think would be best

300win Mag shooting 180 nosler partition's
260 shooting 139 Scenar
270 shooting 130gr SST
35 whelen 225gr Accubonds
7mm08 140accubonds
Or 280 shooting 150gr Partitions.

The 300 has a break so recoil not terrible. Think the Whelen may be a tad too much

Let me know what you think Thanks Jerrad
Whichever rifle she shoots the best, while being light enough to pack all day.
I'd turn my wife loose with the 7mm08 and Accubond combo and let her go kill stuff. Not a lot a game out there that I wouldn't feel comfortable her hunting with that cartridge/bullet.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Ding!
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Getting close (bear hunt) - 08/01/15
Agreed 100% on the 7-08!

Roy
Posted By: ingwe Re: Getting close (bear hunt) - 08/02/15
Another vote for the 7-08!
Sounds good taking the 7mm08
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Getting close (bear hunt) - 08/02/15
That's it? No pictures of targets, groups, fenceposts, or gear preparation?? Come on man!
I'm not even close to thinking about packing and I'm not too good at taking many pics. Here is a pick after Eddie got done with it. Has a Leupold 3.5-10x40 CDS on it now
[Linked Image]
I'll toss out another vote for the 7MM-08! Good luck to you & your wife Jerrad - rifle looks great!
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Getting close (bear hunt) - 08/03/15
The man delivered a picture! - of a good looking rifle no less! Don't feel bad Jerrad, I'm bad about it too. Of course I am much better about giving people crap. smile

Hey, best of luck to you on the hunt and please do post some pictures regardless of whether you shoot a big fuzzy one!
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Exactly what I was thinking...
Posted By: kinser Re: Getting close (bear hunt) - 08/04/15
I would vote for the 7-08. My wife has killed 3 bears with a 300 Savage so the 7-08 will get the job done. I just bought her a 7-08 for a caribou hunt we are doing next year and she has no problems with the recoil.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Getting close (bear hunt) - 08/04/15
Great looking rifle! The 7mm-08 combo will work well for her. Not sure what recoil pad you have on it but a good one like the Sims Limbsaver will greatly reduce felt recoil. I wouldn't hesitate to drop down to 6.5 caliber with the .260 either with an accu bond or TTSX bullet. In the same model/weight rifle, you should get similar performance to the 7mm-08 with a little less recoil. As others have said, the fit of the rifle and how confident she feels shooting it are most important.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Getting close (bear hunt) - 08/04/15
Since your wife will be the shooter on this hunt the rifle decision should be hers and hers alone.
Good luck on your hunt.
© 24hourcampfire