Home
Posted By: 79S comaparable to Cutco knife - 08/20/15
I'm trying to find a knife that is comparable to a cutco. I like cutco knives I have couple of them but my wife needs a good
knife and all mine are in storage. Why didn't send her one before I deployed escapes me at this time but hey what can you do. Purpose will be for skinning a moose and that's where cutcos shines we have done several moose with one knife and didn't have to sharpen them. If any of you know of a cutco dealer that has a website and will let you order and ship the knife that would be great too. I have googled for dealer and I have not found anything. Thanks.
My Step Son sells them. I will get you his website link as soon as I can. Cutco is a superior product and USA made. They aren't cheap, but they are worth it in my opinion.
www.mycutcorep.com/mccollsimons

I would encourage anyone who wants fine cutlery (and some kitchen gadgetry) to take a look at that website. I had a kitchen well stocked with Dexter Russell stuff. I liked it fine until my step son talked me into buying a few things. Now I am slowly replacing everything I have with Cutco. I have even given it as gifts a few times too. It comes with a forever guarantee and free sharpening for life. A rep can come to your house and sharpen the knives for you. It's not such a big deal if it's a standard blade, but the serrated blades need special sharpening tools.

If you have any questions about anything, PM me your contact info and I'll have my step son give you a call.
Posted By: 79S Re: comaparable to Cutco knife - 08/20/15
I have several cutco hunting knives I spaced it and never sent one to my wife. I was sold on cutco knives 5yrs ago. I have one cutco (serrated) that I have skinned 6 moose, couple bears, couple caribou and it finally needs to be sharpened.
Thanks for the order 79S.
Posted By: dcd Re: comaparable to Cutco knife - 08/20/15
thank you for your service. my daughter is also a rep and supplements her college (Trinity) income selling Cutco. as stated,it is a superb cutting tool. good luck to you sir.
Lotta money for a 440A stainless blade. Much better steel available at that price point.
Posted By: 79S Re: comaparable to Cutco knife - 08/21/15
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Lotta money for a 440A stainless blade. Much better steel available at that price point.

if there is I haven't found it yet... When I can skin a whole moose and not have to sharpen my knife I'm sold on it. So tell me about these better knives for the same price point and I will look at them until then I will keep buying cutco. I used one of those Havalon knives for about 5 minutes on a moose I broke a blade and I was done with that thing. Told my buddy give me back my cutco..

It's a product you simply have to use to fully appreciate. If you look at the pics, price and specs, it doesn't tell the whole story. They perform like no other. I have German Wusthoff and American Dexter Russell. I don't use them any more. It's rare to find anyone who has used the products that wasn't impressed.

The forever no hassle guarantee is nice. For many people the free in home sharpening is very important. The company itself has been helping kids pay for college for decades. My step-son started in May. He's a high school senior. It has been fascinating watching him learn and grow from his experiences. He has already set a few records and has received a few awards. He is poised to break the company's all time summer sales record. He needs to sell a few grand more by the end of the month.

The product is expensive. The product is high quality. The product works extremely well. The business model is different. The in home sharpening and forever no hassle guarantee are unmatched. I tend to be thrifty, but find the product to be worth the money I have spent on it. It's hard to find owners who don't think it's worth the money.
Originally Posted by dcd
thank you for your service. my daughter is also a rep and supplements her college (Trinity) income selling Cutco. as stated,it is a superb cutting tool. good luck to you sir.

Trinity San Antonio?
Try one of the Cabela's Alaskan guide series knives from Buck. Their S30V blades are FAR superior to any 440A blade. 440A is low carbon, low quality stainless steel than can never compete with the likes of S30V, ATS34, 154CM or any number of higher quality steels for edge retention.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It's a product you simply have to use to fully appreciate. If you look at the pics, price and specs, it doesn't tell the whole story. They perform like no other. I have German Wusthoff and American Dexter Russell. I don't use them any more.
Wusthoff and Dexter use comparatively soft, low quality steel in their kitchen cutlery blades too. I have some and am not impressed. I also have many other hunting/pocket knives with 440A blade steel. Schrade used 440A in it's premium "uncle Henry" line of knives for decades. They were adequate but far from impressive performers and were FAR cheaper than the Cutco knives.
What about knives that use D2 steel??
Try one of the Cabela's Alaskan guide series knives from Buck. Their S30V blades are FAR superior to any 440A blade. 440A is low carbon, low quality stainless steel than can never compete with the likes of S30V, ATS34, 154CM or any number of higher quality steels for edge retention.

On paper it doesn't appear that way. In practice they do compete and by the account of the OP (who consequently sounds like he knows a thing or two about using knives) they compete well. My step son is sharpening 20 year old Cutco serrated knives...for the first time. Find dissatisfied Cutco owners.

It's a product you simply have to use to fully appreciate. If you look at the pics, price and specs, it doesn't tell the whole story. They perform like no other. I have German Wusthoff and American Dexter Russell. I don't use them any more.
Wusthoff and Dexter use comparatively soft, low quality steel in their kitchen cutlery blades too. I have some and am not impressed. I also have many other hunting/pocket knives with 440A blade steel. Schrade used 440A in it's premium "uncle Henry" line of knives for decades. They were adequate but far from impressive performers and were FAR cheaper than the Cutco knives.

Do the German and non-German Wusthoffs use the same steel?
Are Cutco prices very high?

Here is a Cutco from that page [Linked Image]

I saw a $93.00 price?

How much is that knife?

Cutco $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Here is the knife I have that cuts very well. It folds, and is safe and easy to carry.

The Walmart price is about $10 however I got a box of them from another source for less.

[Linked Image]

http://www.walmart.com/ip/WINCHESTER-22-49435-Folding-Knife-3-1-2-In/40750376

Cutco's are awesome. I've got them from small kitchen knives to this filet knife in my sons hand. However, I use a Dexter 6" Boning knife for butchering deer.

[Linked Image]

Probably not but German knife steel is almost universally pretty cheap shyt 440A or comparable. There are a few exceptions, like the higher grade Linder hunting knives that use 440C and ATS34 but they are few and I don't think any of the kitchen cutlery is anything but relatively soft, inexpensive steel. Look, 440A simply has it's metallurgical, edge holding limits and they are not high, even with the best heat treating and blade grind geometry. That's a fact that CANNOT be changed no matter how good Cutco's marketing hype may be. I have examined the Cutco knives in person and they are WAY overpriced for what they are.

Probably not but German knife steel is almost universally pretty cheap shyt 440A or comparable. There are a few exceptions, like the higher grade Linder hunting knives that use 440C and ATS34 but they are few and I don't think any of the kitchen cutlery is anything but relatively soft, inexpensive steel. Look, 440A simply has it's metallurgical, edge holding limits and they are not high, even with the best heat treating and blade grind geometry. That's a fact that CANNOT be changed no matter how good Cutco's marketing hype may be. I have examined the Cutco knives in person and they are WAY overpriced for what they are.

It sounds like you know quite a bit more about knives than I do. I don't know much about metallurgy, but I do know that there can be appreciable variation in quality within the same grade of stainless. For example, 316 stainless is generally regarded as top quality for marine stainless fasteners. All 316 isn't created equal though. I have used 316 in some mounting applications and it rusted fairly readily. I have had 316 from other sources that was perfect. Boat manufacturers do NOT want their stainless to rust, yet it happens every now and then that they get a batch that does. A batch of the same grade that came before it that didn't rust.

I have read none of Cutcos marketing hype. Prior to you mentioning the grade, I didn't know what grade they were. If they are the same grade as my Dexters, they appear to be better within grade steel. As far as holding an edge goes that is. They also use a type of serration that I had never seen before, and that may have something to do with how well they cut and hold an edge. There's more to quality than holding an edge. Strength, corrosion resistance, ease of sharpening, warranty, and support come to mind.

You have examined them and think they are overpriced. You have 3 people here who own and use them who appreciate their value. It seems the greatest critics of Cutco are those who don't own them and the greatest supporters are those who do own them. Anyone who is considering Cutco should take that into account.

Half the state of Alaska is running around with cutco knives and you can keep the cheap ass Winchester knife, on a moose I have to sharpen that damn thing probably 20 times. I read and it seem that SV30 steel is not created equal either. I don't know but I like cutco cheap steel or not and I'm sticking with them. The coldest skinning job ever done was at -40 on a moose and those cutcos with the supposed to cheap steel didn't break..

I like the Cutco knives I have but they are overpriced and I'm always leery of businesses that use pyramid schemes.
My lovely bride got me a serrated hunting knife from cutco, we have a kitchen full thanks to her knowing i think good knives are a better investment than shoes.

The sharpness is fine but the point was a little too pointy for gutting and skinning tasks. Id prefer to leave a deer paunch whole and i punctured the gut of the one deer it was used on twice without intending to do so. I use it as my kitchen camp knife now and it does a fine job. I will say the serrated knives keep cutting for a long time.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Here is the knife I have that cuts very well. It folds, and is safe and easy to carry.

The Walmart price is about $10 however I got a box of them from another source for less.

[Linked Image]

http://www.walmart.com/ip/WINCHESTER-22-49435-Folding-Knife-3-1-2-In/40750376

If you actually use that knife you'll find its not much of a bargain.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: comaparable to Cutco knife - 08/24/15
My friend and my son have Cutco filet knives that I really like. I was turned off by the "hold the rope loosely when the customer was using his knife and tight when he was using the Cutco knife" ploy when they were demonstrated for me.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: comaparable to Cutco knife - 08/25/15
Are the ones that you all are liking so much the models with the serrated edge? I can see how that would be a durable edge regardless of the steel they are made of because the serrations sort of protect and help the cutting edge.....same principle as "ginsu" knives from back in the day.
I have some of both that I like quite a bit. They use a type of serration that I have never seen before.
The Cutcos that I have are very nice tools. The hunting knives that I typically see are the fully serrated models. I have not used one of those to process a deer, but I was gifted a fully serrated lock back like the non serrated one pictured above.
Originally Posted by 79S

if there is I haven't found it yet... When I can skin a whole moose and not have to sharpen my knife I'm sold on it. So tell me about these better knives for the same price point and I will look at them until then I will keep buying cutco. I used one of those Havalon knives for about 5 minutes on a moose I broke a blade and I was done with that thing. Told my buddy give me back my cutco..

I have. D2, S30V, 154CM, multiple others, even 440C.
I have two full sets of Cutco knives one I bought used 2 years ago, it has mostly serrated edges. They hold a edge very well. The other one I got from my late father in law he was a amazing machinist and knew tools and steel who told me when he gave them to me. " they won't need sharpening very often and you'll still have them around for many more generations" he was a frugal man but he paid a Hanson price 70 years ago and thought they were worth the money. That set is not serrated and I use them for butchering deer. Our church has a Wild Game Dinner so we cut up about 20 a year, great knives. I have a custom made knife I use for hunting that I bought from a master knife maker who worked at the Howard city Olson factory here in Michigan it's made from steel from that plant. But the Cutco is keep a edge every bit as good as the Olsons I own if that says anything about the steel.
Originally Posted by decoydog
I have two full sets of Cutco knives one I bought used 2 years ago, it has mostly serrated edges. They hold a edge very well. The other one I got from my late father in law he was a amazing machinist and knew tools and steel who told me when he gave them to me. " they won't need sharpening very often and you'll still have them around for many more generations" he was a frugal man but he paid a Hanson price 70 years ago and thought they were worth the money. That set is not serrated and I use them for butchering deer. Our church has a Wild Game Dinner so we cut up about 20 a year, great knives. I have a custom made knife I use for hunting that I bought from a master knife maker who worked at the Howard city Olson factory here in Michigan it's made from steel from that plant. But the Cutco is keep a edge every bit as good as the Olsons I own if that says anything about the steel.

What was the makers' name that made the custom for you?
Had a cutco hunter myself for years, it was a gift. Didn't cut well with that serrated edge, had the factory grind it off. Still won't make it through a whole deer skinning job w/o being sharpened. The steel simply is not that great compared to many other cutlery steels. Arguing to the contrary shows lack of experience with almost any other steel with a decent blade geometry or heat treat.

MM
I had a cutco seraded knife. Worked great for about five hogs. I didnt like the idea of having send it off to be sharpened so after I did the first time I decided on a different knife. I use it now for my steak knife at camp. I have several other cutco knives. A filet knife, a couple hunters. My favorite is one they gave me as a gift its a small seraded locking folding knife. Handest thing ever.
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Had a cutco hunter myself for years, it was a gift. Didn't cut well with that serrated edge, had the factory grind it off. Still won't make it through a whole deer skinning job w/o being sharpened. The steel simply is not that great compared to many other cutlery steels. Arguing to the contrary shows lack of experience with almost any other steel with a decent blade geometry or heat treat.

MM

Your experience is very different from the OPs. And from most other Cutco owners. I wonder how the OP can make it through multiple moose and you can't make it through a single deer. Can you post a pic of yours?
I am very doubtful the OP made it through multiple moose with a cutco knife, maybe one but it would be a tough chore toward the end. I know my way around knives, their steel, edge geometry and heat treat. 440A won't get it done, with some sharpening absolutely, but you won't convince me of multiple animals the size of moose w/o that blade losing a lot of its edge while doing the job. This thread smells funny to me. My 2 cents, take it or leave it. Bothers me when things like this pop up, embellish some on a hunting story to make it a little more exciting is one thing, false information to sell a product is another.

MM
Posted By: 79S Re: comaparable to Cutco knife - 09/12/15
I am very doubtful the OP made it through multiple moose with a cutco knife, maybe one but it would be a tough chore toward the end. I know my way around knives, their steel, edge geometry and heat treat. 440A won't get it done, with some sharpening absolutely, but you won't convince me of multiple animals the size of moose w/o that blade losing a lot of its edge while doing the job. This thread smells funny to me. My 2 cents, take it or leave it. Bothers me when things like this pop up, embellish some on a hunting story to make it a little more exciting is one thing, false information to sell a product is another.

MM

I see you are a custom knife maker or you sell them anyhow but I guess I'm full of [bleep].. I never been called a liar before on the forums but I guess first time for everything... I really don't care what you think say what you want about me "embellishing my hunting stories". But hey its the internet we are all tough guys on the internet and can tell people they are full [bleep].. Make me a believer in your custom knives you sell me one at your cost and if I can skin a entire moose or elk without sharpening it. I will become your biggest pitchman I will have the boys in AK buying them.. I have made several of my friends believers in the Cutcos. Anyhow have a great day.
I am a hobby maker who sells once in a while, been doing it for a few years now. It takes me at least 8 hours to complete a knife, some makers I'm sure do it much faster but I don't. There is zero chance I'm going to work 8 hours to settle an internet disagreement and send you a knife at cost. If you like your knife so much that is fine by me, and maybe you did get through the moose, I really might be wrong and I'm fine with that. But I know it would have been an S.O.B at the end because that knife had to be pretty dull. Listen to a few other people on here who have tried those knives( like myself) and then used other knives with better cutlery steel and have seen there is a significant difference in edge retention. That is the beauty of internet forums, you can learn from a lot of people who have more experience in fields that you may not in a very short amount of time. Alot of what I learned on becoming a maker I pulled off this forum from guys who have been doing it along time. Not ONE of them would spend time making a custom out of 440A, and there is a reason for that. You should ask yourself why guys who make a living based upon a knife's performance won't use that steel. Its not because Cutco knows something they don't.

MM
I am a hobby maker who sells once in a while, been doing it for a few years now. It takes me at least 8 hours to complete a knife, some makers I'm sure do it much faster but I don't. There is zero chance I'm going to work 8 hours to settle an internet disagreement and send you a knife at cost. If you like your knife so much that is fine by me, and maybe you did get through the moose, I really might be wrong and I'm fine with that. But I know it would have been an S.O.B at the end because that knife had to be pretty dull. Listen to a few other people on here who have tried those knives( like myself) and then used other knives with better cutlery steel and have seen there is a significant difference in edge retention. That is the beauty of internet forums, you can learn from a lot of people who have more experience in fields that you may not in a very short amount of time. Alot of what I learned on becoming a maker I pulled off this forum from guys who have been doing it along time. Not ONE of them would spend time making a custom out of 440A, and there is a reason for that. You should ask yourself why guys who make a living based upon a knife's performance won't use that steel. Its not because Cutco knows something they don't.

MM

6 moose with my cutco.... If one of your knives can do that I will buy one of you today for full price!
So you went with 6, well I guess. Best of luck with your Supernatural enchanted Cutco, it must be something to behold. In all seriousness take what I said and consider it, there are new things to be learned every day.

MM
Now their is no need to get pissy about it. I have plenty of friends with the same experience I know its hard to believe.. I will never make you a believer and its not my job to make you a believer. I asked for a on line dealer for cutco knives and you come along do a drive by saying I'm full of [bleep] and there better knives out their. Well [bleep] show me this knife show me what you make.. make me a believer in your product. You have a product to sell and you have to sell that product, so you have no reason to even say half ass praises of cutco. If I was making knives hell I bad mouth every mass produced knife on the market too. I asked guys already show me a knife I can do one moose, hell one elk or caribou without sharpening... matter of fact screw it do you take pay-pal? I will take one of your knives.
I'm in, I have a few blades that are ready to put a handle on. Or you can pick a steel you would like to try and a style you would like to try and I'll make it happen.

MM
That knife you had for sale in the classifieds back in March I really liked the looks and from What I read today that is a very good steel for a knife. But here's the kicker I need a orange handle, I lost I don't know how many knives laying them down and can't find them.. I know sacrilege putting orange anything on a custom knife..
You need to, at least, TRY a Mora.
What to lose? $10?

[Linked Image]
i have a set for the kitchen . awesome . i have several for hunting. i did two elk and a rocky mtn bighorn with one cutco. anyone else have a knife that did that? i suppose a buffalo or moose would be bigger/better test.
After further communication with 79s I have to come out and say I very possibly could have been wrong about the cutco's ability to skin multiple moose. I haven't used a serrated edge knife on anything but steak since I was 14 and we had the edge of my cutco ground off. In my mind we were talking apples and apples when it came to edge on the knife, instead it was apples and oranges because I have next to no experience with that double d edge. What I will stick with though is that there are much better steels for knives with non-serrated edges. And that is what I thought he was talking about on the cutco. Mmmmmm crow tastes good.

MM

MM

Cutco delivers a great product and a great service and the indisputable truth is that most people who actually use them are very happy with them. I think you were the only one on this thread who said you had tried one and didn't like it. Cutco makes a living based upon their knives performance and they use 440A. They know that it delivers a blend of edge retention, ease of sharpening, durability and strength that keeps their customers happy, keeps them coming back and keeps them recommending the product to their family, friends an folks on the internet. They seem to have struck a great balance point between price and quality. It's hard to look at their track record and tell them that they are doing it wrong.

My step son and his team set an all time Cutco record for summer sales! That's a lot of happy customers.
Posted By: 79S Re: comaparable to Cutco knife - 09/14/15
If one is buying a cutco they need to buy the one with the double d edge.
Posted By: REDMAN Re: comaparable to Cutco knife - 09/19/15
I have several cutco hunting knives I spaced it and never sent one to my wife. I was sold on cutco knives 5yrs ago. I have one cutco (serrated) that I have skinned 6 moose, couple bears, couple caribou and it finally needs to be sharpened. [/quote]

Send it back to the company they will do it for free and do it right!
Posted By: xxclaro Re: comaparable to Cutco knife - 09/20/15
Did an elk this weekend with a Mora and my hook knife. Still shaves hair off my arm. Hows that for $15? I can see Cutco being great for people who don't sharpen their own blades. I also expect those people use their blade a lot longer than most others would because they have to send it in for sharpening. I imagine this is where a lot of the stories about doing multiple animals without sharpening comes from.
I'm sure I could do several animals with a cheap Mora without resharpening, but I don't need to. We had some Cutco knives back home,they were the serrated ones and worked fine as steak/kitchen knives. Can't see them being worth more than a fraction of the price they charge though.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: comaparable to Cutco knife - 09/21/15
Cold Steel knives, bushman or similar should do fine.
Originally Posted by ringworm
You need to, at least, TRY a Mora.
What to lose? $10?

[Linked Image]

Just ordered this:
Morakniv Craftline HighQ Robust Trade Knife with Carbon Steel Blade and Combi-Sheath, 4.1-Inch
how did you order the knife.
Amazon; $14. It is mighty sharp.

Expat
Posted By: fredIII Re: comaparable to Cutco knife - 10/11/15
I have several cutco all gifts from my mother inlaw I have skinned a buffalo with the double edge and it worked fine but it needs reshaping and I hate sending my knifes to someone else for that. I have a great knife sharpener and would much prefer to have a straight edge over serrated. That said I am pretty certain cutco has limited hunting/ tactical/ outdoor type knifes because they are owned by ??? Kabar and do not want to compete brands.
© 24hourcampfire