Home
Posted By: starsky Colorado Black Bear - 09/13/15
Finally got some pics loaded on the computer from my bear hunt with my old man over Labor Day weekend.

Had some pretty touch and go weather for most of the trip, but we made the most of the good weather we got.

7rem mag. 180 skinner. Impact velocity just a touch north of 2000fps. First one I've caught, but I've only shot a muley buck, cow elk, and this bear with them thus far.

Bear squared 6'3". Skull won't score too high, but I couldn't care less.

Best weekend I've had in quite some time...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/13/15
Good lookin bear and good lookin knives! Congrats! Just curious, why do you say the skull won't score well ( realizing the obvious). I shot a similar bear one time that squared well over 6' but also had a small skull. Young bear, just happened to have a big body (rather lanky).
Posted By: starsky Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/13/15
Thanks! Probably didn't need to be said, but it seems like Colorado bears don't get too big of noggins until they're considerably older than this one. We guessed him at 6ish years old and when we checked him in the CPW officer guessed him at 6-9 years.

Thinking I need to start trying to hunt these bears as often as possible, super fun hunt.
Posted By: pointer Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/14/15
Very nice! Gotta love a weekend like that with dad. Well done!
Posted By: ELKiller Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/14/15
Great lookin' bear starsky! How bad was the pack job... that oak brush doesn't look like much fun to pick your way through smile
Posted By: Aviator Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/14/15
That 180 Skinner looks pretty good ! Wonder how it would do at faster Impact velocities ..
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/14/15
Nice! Thanks for posting.
Great pics.
Hope I can do the same thing this season.
Posted By: southwind Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/14/15
Pretty bear, who cares about the score. Should make a nice rug!
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/14/15
Congratulations
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/14/15
Do you just spot and stalk them?
Posted By: 30338 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/14/15
You can spot and stalk them successfully. We tend to setup and glass any openings you can see. That is what happened on this one.

Acorn and berry crop was hit or miss and once you found an area with food, you found the bears.
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/14/15
Beautiful chocolate color
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/14/15
Nice bear That scrub oak takes me back to My elk hunts. Seems like we always ended up in the scrub oaks. Im kinda missing it. Good Job.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/14/15
Nice bear
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/15/15
Congrats on a great bear. He would make a dandy rug!
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/15/15
Congrats starsky and Kurt! Great pics and Beautiful bear. Man i want a big chocolate. Only color I need left.

How do u like that SHV?

Roy
Posted By: starsky Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/15/15
I haven't shot it much yet, but so far I really like it.
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/15/15
Ur old man keeps trying to talk me into a SWFA. Really considering the SHV.
Posted By: SKane Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/15/15
A nice bruin and some quality time with your father - one would be hard pressed to beat that for a great weekend.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/15/15
Bullchit..... I could have made it better, by my mere presence.
Posted By: SKane Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/15/15
grin grin

Posted By: starsky Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/16/15
SKane, it'll be damn near impossible to whoop for sure.

Hunts', you'd be a welcome addition to any hunting camp.

RTSJ, the SWFA's are a helluva scope for sure. I've got one and have shot with a couple of them and I really like them.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/16/15
I hope that you get some good roasts off him. I was impressed with a bear roast that I was given.

Good job on the bear.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/16/15
Congrats!!
Posted By: 30338 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/16/15
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I hope that you get some good roasts off him. I was impressed with a bear roast that I was given.

Good job on the bear.

We have found that there are a couple of good roasts on the hindquarters. Strange as it sounds, the reason I love bear hunting here in CO so much is because the fat makes just awesome lard. We rendered some again this year.

So you get a great hide, a cool looking skull, as much lard as you want to render, and a roast or two along with some great German smoked sausage. Plus they are smaller than elk so old guys like me can get them off the hill easier:)

Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/16/15

What use are you putting that bear lard to?......

Casey
Slow heat the fat and while doing that heat up your canning lids and rims. Then layer your funnel with 4 layers of cheesecloth. Ladle out the oil which looks like a good amber ale into the quart or pint jars. Put the lid and rim on and seal it up tight by hand. When it cools, it naturally seals it up and lasts for us up to 2 years. Turns white as snow and use it for all manner of things.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/16/15
Hair grease???
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/16/15
A little dab'll do ya.....
Posted By: smokepole Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/16/15
Yep, and a really little dab'll do some of us.....
Mix bear lard to beeswax at a 4 to 1 ratio and use it on my boots. Works great. And we use it in all recipes that call for lard, plus we use it in biscuit recipes a lot.

Going to try it on patches for the Hawken too. If you do some research on it, bear lard is actually pretty healthy compared to other lard types.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/17/15
I want somma those biscuits......
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/17/15
Originally Posted by smokepole
I want somma those biscuits......

Me too!!!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/17/15
I just hope he remembered to pick blueberries for the jam.....
Posted By: ironbender Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/17/15
That's good stuff right there.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/17/15
Actually I usually pick choke cherries and make choke cherry jam to go with my bear biscuits. Didn't have time and the berries weren't that great this year. Going to be stuck with biscuits and gravy I guess.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/17/15
30338:
Once had a neighbor insist his bear grease mix was the absolute best thing in the world for my Whites boots. I allowed its application, and within a week one could hardly stand to be in the same room with them. Never again. Nothing like rancid boots.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/17/15
Can't speak to that, but the bear lard I render is odorless and whiter than crisco. If a bear is eating fish or dead cows, I am guessing it may have smelly lard. Also if you get your fire too hot you can and will make a smelly mess. Go slow with berry and acorn fed bears and it is an amazing substance.

My boots do very very well with the bear lard I am using.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/17/15
Yeah, but.... Your nose is a long way from your boots.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Colorado Black Bear - 09/17/15
Congrats Kyle on a beautiful animal, looks like that rig is dialed in real nice..... you just need to find a better looking guide.....now back to the books!
Posted By: Stick1330 Re: Colorado Black Bear - 10/05/15
Great looking bear. Congrats!
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Colorado Black Bear - 10/06/15
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Colorado Black Bear - 10/06/15
Doesn't appear to be any bear grease in the bear grease.

Leather Cleaner: Bear Grease Conditioner and Waterproofing

The premium petroleum base found in Bear Grease Leather Conditioner acts as a neutral cleansing, waterproofing and restorative agent that provides a durable surface finish after each application.

The Bear Grease brand* is special in it's approach to caring for a wide variety of leathers, owing to a unique blending of petroleum and natural waxes that extends the level of leather protection, as well as the amount of time between applications.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Colorado Black Bear - 10/07/15
Originally Posted by ironbender
Doesn't appear to be any bear grease in the bear grease.

No. I don't think there could be.
I think it is interesting that it is used in marketing/advertising.
It makes me think that it has some tradition of being used as an effective product for footwear.
© 24hourcampfire