Home
Posted By: 79S My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
I'm currently stuck in Kuwait and was unable to get up to AK to take them hunting. But that didn't stop my wife and daughter they been going out with friends to try and fill their DM 406 cow permits ie valley cowtags in unit 14. Well this evening my baby girl shot her first moose, she's no tmuch a baby anymore but smile. Shot through the right shoulder hit both lungs she was using her model 70 push feed in a 270 Winchester using 140gr hornady interlocks. One shot one dead moose. I bought the rifle off BSA last year. Also the 140gr bullets bullets I used to reload were bought off him couple yrs back. Just talked to my buddy he said it was 75-80yd shot and the bullet was a complete pass thru.

My wife and daughter

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Valsdad Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Way cool, lots of good grub there.

Geno
Congratulations!
Posted By: 79S Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Here are some more pictures. From what my bud told me, my daughter shot and the moose dropped in it's tracks and started kicking and ended going down the hill coming to a rest in a depression. Buddy took a picture where the moose was standing and my wife and daughter standing next to the where it ended up at.
[Linked Image]

Picture of my bud making sure the ol moose is dead

[Linked Image]

My buddy backing the ranger up to yank the ol moose out the hole its in. Yes that's my wife and daughters lucky Chihuahua in the bed checking things out. They swear he is good luck and I'm starting to believe them.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: davidlea Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Congrats to them and to you! Way cool.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Maybe that's why I'm so unlucky hunting....

I always forget the chihuahua!

Geno
Posted By: ingwe Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Cool beans!

I always thought the Hornadys were pretty tough to beat!
Posted By: boatboy Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Oh man how cool is that
looks like 2 awesome Ladys

Hank
Posted By: saddlering Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Congrads to the girls, some good eating!
Originally Posted by 79S
I'm currently stuck in Kuwait and was unable to get up to AK to take them hunting. But that didn't stop my wife and daughter they been going out with friends to try and fill their DM 406 cow permits ie valley cowtags in unit 14. Well this evening my baby girl shot her first moose, she's no tmuch a baby anymore but smile. Shot through the right shoulder hit both lungs she was using her model 70 push feed in a 270 Winchester using 140gr hornady interlocks. One shot one dead moose. I bought the rifle off BSA last year. Also the 140gr bullets bullets I used to reload were bought off him couple yrs back. Just talked to my buddy he said it was 75-80yd shot and the bullet was a complete pass thru.

My wife and daughter

[Linked Image]

That is so cool John!!! I'd be the proudest dad on earth right now if I were you. I'm glad to see those interlocks worked that good on that big beast.... Well, now I need to re-think why I sold those to you. Ha ha... Looks like everything worked and your daughter did a damn fine job putting that one on the ground. Tell her I am damn proud as well!!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
That is awesome and very cool of your buddy to take them out cool
Very Awesome
Posted By: SLM Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Good stuff. Love seeing kids getting it done.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Good job, Nicole! There's nothing like the satisfaction (and what now?) of dropping a bullwinkle - or similar cowwinkle in this case. wink
Posted By: TAGLARRY Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
👍
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Good job!

Some great eats.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Great job, way to go!!!
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Way to go
Sweet, awesome job by them!
Posted By: Dale K Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Nice, thanks for sharing,

Dale
Awesome. Bummer that your in Kuwait and missed the party, but glad a buddy was available to witness/help in the fun.
Posted By: RNF Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Good shooting, congrats to all involved.
Congrats!

Another great story of the Women getting it done with equipment many men would consider insufficient. Amazing what shot placement and a decent bullet will do.

Mike
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
That's great! Congrats to the young lady.
Posted By: TDN Re: My daughter first moose - 09/20/15
Way cool John!! Congrats man!
Posted By: 79S Re: My daughter first moose - 09/21/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

My wife and daughter

[Linked Image]

That is so cool John!!! I'd be the proudest dad on earth right now if I were you. I'm glad to see those interlocks worked that good on that big beast.... Well, now I need to re-think why I sold those to you. Ha ha... Looks like everything worked and your daughter did a damn fine job putting that one on the ground. Tell her I am damn proud as well!!

Lawrence I let me daughter know and she said tell him I said thank you.
Posted By: 79S Re: My daughter first moose - 09/21/15
Promise last picture I put a red circle around the bullet entrance. I forgot to add her rifle is the a xtr featherweight. The load was the old std for any 270 Winchester. 58.5gr H 4831, cci 200, 140gr hornady btsp, I chrono it at 2,930 fps. I don't know the OAL off the top of my head. This load shoots exceptionally well in couple other 270's I have as well. It shot extremely well in my daughters rifle. The scope on the rifle is a good ol Leupold VXIIc 3-9x40. Also they were using primos shooting stick the ones with 3 legs and they worked out great so highly recommend for anyone that has kiddos and they need good support out in the field. What's funny on another forums I sometime frequent one of the guys was going on a rant how anything 7mm or smaller was meant for deer, antelope, coyotes in the lower 48 and bigger caliber should be used on moose. This was before my daughter rolled this cow up. I posted the same picture on that forum and he's been pretty quiet.

[Linked Image]
Very nice.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: My daughter first moose - 09/21/15
Those two did a great job on the moose, that should make a whole lot of excellent meals. Love the chihuahua as well, maybe we should get a lucky pooch like that too smile

Pretty amazing what the good old 270 Win and similar rounds can do on big animals, "everyone knows" you need a big cannon for moose wink
Posted By: ScottyO Re: My daughter first moose - 09/22/15
Thats not even my family and I'm Tippin my hat to those two women for bustin dat moose n doin a stand up job ta'boot...Way ta go Ladies...AND Congrats ta you too DAD !!!...ScottyO.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: My daughter first moose - 09/22/15
Congrats to a couple of tough gals!

And to you: thanks for your service, come home safe!
Posted By: 1minute Re: My daughter first moose - 09/22/15
Most excellent! And one did not need a 45-70.
Congratulations to your daughter and wife!
Posted By: las Re: My daughter first moose - 09/26/15
"What's funny on another forums I sometime frequent one of the guys was going on a rant how anything 7mm or smaller was meant for deer, antelope, coyotes in the lower 48 and bigger caliber should be used on moose."

Guy's an idiot who probably has never killed a moose nor used anything other than a Magnum...

That lucky dog is definitely too small, but appears to be of good caliber. smile
Posted By: ironbender Re: My daughter first moose - 09/26/15
Congrats to your ladies!

Thought they might have used a Ruger. wink
Posted By: 79S Re: My daughter first moose - 09/27/15
Just want to say thanks guys... Alaska has taught my daughter a lot and the big one is how to be self reliant and providing for yourself and family and to share. I know it happens in the lower 48 but in Ak I think it takes on more, that moose she shot will feed two families. My buddy shot a moose and it will feed two families. That's the great thing about Ak majority of the time we share the kill with our friends and family.
Posted By: rost495 Re: My daughter first moose - 09/27/15
Well done! Congrats and good eats.

Stay safe over there.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: My daughter first moose - 09/28/15
That last photo says it all!!! Congrats! That's one happy young lady!! Well done!! You're a lucky fellow!!!
Posted By: wageslave Re: My daughter first moose - 09/28/15
Nice.
Thanks for sharing.
Love it. Beyond the hunting story there are some other noteworthy things at play. The thread author is serving his country overseas. So thanks for that! It's great to know that your family is strong and independent enough to pull off a moose hunt on their own. It's also great that you have a neighbor like the one with the Ranger who will lend a helping hand when needed. And to top it all off a high quality Cutco knife was used to skin that beast.
Posted By: 79S Re: My daughter first moose - 09/29/15
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Love it. Beyond the hunting story there are some other noteworthy things at play. The thread author is serving his country overseas. So thanks for that! It's great to know that your family is strong and independent enough to pull off a moose hunt on their own. It's also great that you have a neighbor like the one with the Ranger who will lend a helping hand when needed. And to top it all off a high quality Cutco knife was used to skin that beast.

Believe it or not my wife bought the ranger which surprised me LOL.. Before moose season started she sent a message saying she bought a new ranger and she was going to pick up on a certain date LOL. My wife is rather conservative when it comes to buying things she is not an impulse buyer. That knife I got for her from your son has skinned two moose so far this season they helped another friend skin his moose as well. Thanks again guys
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Congrats to a couple of tough gals!

And to you: thanks for your service, come home safe!

DITTO this. I know how proud you must be. Both mt wife AND my son have taken moose as well. Congratulations to all.
Posted By: jwall Re: My daughter first moose - 09/29/15
Fantastic ! !

I'm GREEN with envy. I can't draw an Elk tag here in AR.

Tell them I'd fill in for them if necessary. GRIN.

Jerry
Posted By: Stick1330 Re: My daughter first moose - 10/05/15
Sounds like you've got a good kid, a good woman and a good friend. You're a lucky man.
Posted By: SKane Re: My daughter first moose - 10/05/15
Outstanding!!!!
Posted By: memtb Re: My daughter first moose - 10/05/15
Congrat's to your wife and daughter! What an awesome experience for the both of them. Looks like a bunch of meat in the freezer! memtb
Posted By: moosemike Re: My daughter first moose - 10/06/15

awesome!
© 24hourcampfire