Home
Posted By: GregW Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Couldn't find the deer that I wanted to take on this hunt, nor could I get a bullet into some other big deer I found but on the last morning I took this old guy out. Gray-headed old man for sure -

One of my good buds was along this day, which is always cool. The deer tapes at 168"...

Hope everyone is have a super fall -

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Nice. wink
Cool setting to take a great deer. I need to hunt that desert sometime soon. Congrats bro!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Originally Posted by okiebowhunter
Cool setting to take a great deer. I need to hunt that desert sometime soon. Congrats bro!!

+1 Greg!
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Way to go Greg!
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Great deer Greg, congrats!

What rifle did you use if you don't mind?
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Great desert mulie. That is not an easy hunt.
Posted By: pointer Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Congrats! That'd be some neat country to chase deer in.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Nice buck! Was that an any antlered or antlered mule deer tag? Good luck with the rest of your season.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Nice buck Greg! Very neat country!
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Nice buck, congrats
Posted By: clark98ut Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
That'd put a smile on my face...
Posted By: davidlea Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Great looking old buck! Congrats on getting it done on the last day.
Posted By: NTG Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Nice!
you killed a grandpa deer! Good job.
Posted By: GregW Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Here's the horse I was trying to kill but couldn't find him.

[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f311/GmoneyTLU/th_MVI_0087_zpsi2oahg1l.mp4[/img]
Originally Posted by Dude270
Great deer Greg, congrats!

What rifle did you use if you don't mind?

Used a .280 Ackley Improved built by Chad Dixon of Long Rifles, Inc. with a 140 Accubond at 3,160.

Shots were 510'ish and 520'ish. First shot double lunged him but he was still on his feet. My first rule of thumb is that if they are not on the ground and you have a shot, shoot him again. I did. Right through the throat as it was all I could see.

I'll be switching bullets next year for sure...
Congratulations
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Congrats! Switching bullets? How about switching weapons, and dropping a digit off the yardage???
January Clint, January...grin...
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/10/15
Well done!!!!
Posted By: Tejano Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/11/15
Nice deer. What happened with the Accubond that makes you want to change? Are they not soft enough for that range?

The one that got away is a heart stopper he would be good for Sonora or anywhere.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/11/15
Last Day Bucks are always cool. Good job
Posted By: SKane Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/11/15
Nicely done bud!
Posted By: jwall Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/11/15
Very Nice.

I'm jealous.

Jerry
Posted By: GregW Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/12/15
Originally Posted by Tejano
Nice deer. What happened with the Accubond that makes you want to change? Are they not soft enough for that range?

The one that got away is a heart stopper he would be good for Sonora or anywhere.

Impact velocities on both shots were about 2200 or so and should have exited. Neither did. Wound channels were poor as well.

I either want an exit and will sacrifice BC, or I want detonation with a lot of BC.

This bullet provided neither. My wife's E-tip performance was great.
Posted By: JLH3 Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/17/15
Great buck!
Posted By: Westman Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/19/15
Originally Posted by GregW

[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f311/GmoneyTLU/th_MVI_0087_zpsi2oahg1l.mp4[/img]

That deer is a PIG!!!

Will you have a chance next year? No idea what the tag situation is.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/19/15
"I either want an exit and will sacrifice BC, or I want detonation with a lot of BC."

That's a head scratch-er. I have shot a handful of deer with almost the same loading but at 100-300 yds. Performance has been good. At longer range I would have expected less expansion and more penetration. These were smaller Texas Mule deer and whitetails but maybe not enough to make a difference.
I have yet to see an Accu-Bond pass-through. Granted the numbers are small, but around 20 in 25, 30, and 375...

They also do more meat damage than most. They are about my last choice in bullets...
Posted By: GregW Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/19/15
Originally Posted by Tejano
"I either want an exit and will sacrifice BC, or I want detonation with a lot of BC."

That's a head scratch-er. I have shot a handful of deer with almost the same loading but at 100-300 yds. Performance has been good. At longer range I would have expected less expansion and more penetration. These were smaller Texas Mule deer and whitetails but maybe not enough to make a difference.

Which parts a head scratcher? My bullets didn't do what yours did? If so, welcome to hunting...
Posted By: GregW Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/19/15
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I have yet to see an Accu-Bond pass-through. Granted the numbers are small, but around 20 in 25, 30, and 375...

They also do more meat damage than most. They are about my last choice in bullets...

Gotta try everything at least once...

Never again...
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/19/15
Congrats Greg,

Good looking old buck and some good shooting!

Now that other guy....I hope you can line up on him next year.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/22/15
Couldn't find the deer that I wanted to take on this hunt, nor could I get a bullet into some other big deer I found but on the last morning I took this old guy out. Gray-headed old man for sure -

One of my good buds was along this day, which is always cool. The deer tapes at 168"...

Hope everyone is have a super fall -

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice buck!
Posted By: HaYen Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/27/15
Really nice deer!!! Can't wait; OTC 2 is starting soon.
Posted By: johnw Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/28/15
Hey Greg,

Awesome deer, and the toad you couldn't meet up with was awesomer!!!

Have you tried the 7mm/150 ballistic tip?
Nice, I do love desert mule deer
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/29/15
Great character to that rack! Nice deer, congrats.
Nice!
Posted By: TDN Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/29/15
Great deer Greg!! Congrats. Coues or Muleys down in that open country are definitely on my list!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/29/15
GregW knows the program, and this buck, in that tough country, are proof positive. Nice buck Greg, you earned it, and you deserve it.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 11/29/15
Very nice Greg. Must have been a special hunt missing out on the others, but then again they all are, right.

That other one in the video lives in the same unit? The habitat looked quite a bit different. Maybe he's just in a draw or on the north side of a hill?

Anyhow, thanks for sharing that.

Geno

PS, you hunt in the SE part of the state for that guy? I've always hunted farther north.
Posted By: GregW Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 12/02/15
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Very nice Greg. Must have been a special hunt missing out on the others, but then again they all are, right.

That other one in the video lives in the same unit? The habitat looked quite a bit different. Maybe he's just in a draw or on the north side of a hill?

Anyhow, thanks for sharing that.

Geno

PS, you hunt in the SE part of the state for that guy? I've always hunted farther north.

All in same unit. The buck moved out of the country or went nocturnal is all I can say. No worries. I'll be after him again in January...

I usually hunt south of IH-10....
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 12/03/15
Thanks for the reply,

Nice wide open country with good brushy spots down that way it looks. Perhaps you're "boy" will show up for you in the new year. Will that be an archery hunt for you? Good luck.

Geno

PS, I can't wait to see if my wife and I do retire back to AZ. I checked the other day and see they don't tax SS. That'll sure help.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 12/06/15
[quote=Tejano]"I either want an exit and will sacrifice BC, or I want detonation with a lot of BC."

Which parts a head scratcher? My bullets didn't do what yours did? If so, welcome to hunting...
Agree x2

Just goes to show how worthless conventional wisdom is. The usual thinking is that with lower velocities penetration should increase and expansion decrease.

But you did well, just spent a week in the desert por nada. But I had a great time.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 12/07/15
Greg, the video really fires me up! just a few more weeks!
Posted By: mudhen Re: Arizona Desert Mule Deer - 12/07/15

He's not over the hill by any means--I'd bet that he'll be there next year. Hope that you find him again!
Beauty buck!

is ~500 typical range?
© 24hourcampfire