Home
It caught up to this guy....

http://www.gohunt.com/read/news/breaking-story-bull-elk-scam-DIY-backcountry-hunt-or-high-fence

Social media is the devil in this sport IMO. It's been a narcissists wet dream and too many people that want others to think that they are "in the know" post info up that wasn't theirs to post.

I rarely post pictures anymore. I enjoyed sharing it with friends, family and clients but this has gotten so out of hand I just don't want to ever be lumped in with some of those guys and I don't ever want these clowns to figure out what I'm doing or where I'm hunting

I don't do social media period. I signed up for facebook many years ago, keep getting notices and stuff, went on it once, figured out how ignorant it is, and have no use for it....

Seems nice that it does soemthing good from time to time.
Well, it's hard to say who's telling the truth from the "posts" put up on Instagram, and who's lying. That's one of the big bitches about social media.

But if Jeremie shot his elk on a high fence property and then tried to boast about it on social media being a free-range Wyoming elk, he deserves whatever schidt he gets on social media.

Don't make me no never-mind. I don't post dead animal pics on social media... it's just asking for trouble IMHO.
I'm on FB, with maybe 30-40 friends, who are either people I know, or family. I keep the page private, and even then I don't post trophy pics. I also keep a strong password, 12+ letters, numbers, upper & lower case, special characters, etc. that is hard to hack.

I do follow a few of the prominent celebrity hunters, and sometimes I'll post something supportive on their pages, then I'll get a friend request from some yahoo - someone I don't know at all. I suspect most the time, they are antis/trolls. I always delete those.

As far as posting something bragging, whether it's a hot chick or a dead animal, it's just tough to justify doing it on social media.
Pathetic that someone needs their ego stroked that bad. I agree that the pics should be kept off social media for MANY reasons.
I would like to see the other ear in this shot. Idaho requires that all captive game animals wear recognizable identification, visible from 50 yds, at all times so they can be distinguished from wild animals should they escape.

[Linked Image]
That guy was a joke even before all this chit came out.
Sad, sad indeed.

Well said, Drum

Living in the eyes of others...
FWIW,

I did a hunt with Drummond last August. I've done ony two other "guided hunts". Why not" Well it's not more because I can not afford to hunt, rather I prefer DIY.

In this instance, I didn't do the hunt to kill an animal. I dropped the Benjamins for the hunt because I wanted to meet and hunt with Mr. Drummond Lindsey.

I was not disappointed. We got up at 4:30 in the morning and hunted till dark thirty for six days, on what was to be a five day hunt. DL is the consumate professional IMHO. One does not know he meaning of intense till he hunts with this guy!

Drummond would have gone a 7th day (which we discussed the night before I left),except I had to get back home due to an emergency. Two different times I said to Drummond, no, I'm not gonna do that. He respected that.

For my money, DL is the real deal, and if the opportunity arises, I will hunt with him again.

[Linked Image]

In my own country, I'm damn good at spotting game. There, I was in sand-box compared to Drummond.

[Linked Image]

These guys were probably 3/4 mile away. We were driving along on rough terrain, bouncing back and forth, and DL spotted these with the naked eye. The pix above was take with the equivalent of a 960mm lens.

Thanks to Drummond,

[Linked Image]

I got to see stuff that a flatlander from Texas seldom get's to see

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'

GWB

Geedubya is right. Drummond is the MAN when it comes to hunting guides!
Originally Posted by huntsonora
...this has gotten so out of hand I just don't want to ever be lumped in with some of those guys and I don't ever want these clowns to figure out what I'm doing or where I'm hunting

I agree 100%.
huntsonora;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully this finds you all well and warm on this Friday night.

I appreciate you putting up the link and your thoughts on the social media issue.

As many here know I've been teaching the provincial Hunter Safety course here in BC for over 25 years and in the last couple of courses we've been adding a "social media" segment to the ethics night.

I could not agree more that some folks need to really think twice before putting up photos or videos of their hunts.

Thanks again sir for a timely reminder and all the best to you folks this year.

Dwayne
I like social media. Some folks are legit, and other folks just can't help themselves and they let everybody know that they are an idiot. Some very successful hunters are on there in my area, and it's cool to see pics of what they kill. We have a huge blacktail page, and some dandies get posted. I post pics from time to time. Wife posts lots of pics. It's really not much different than the campfire, except that you use your real name.

Here is one I posted yesterday from my day of fishing:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Calvin
It's really not much different than the campfire

True, because forums are social media as well.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Not according to rost, as he don't do no social media.... wink
It's all in how you justify spending time electronically conversing with others.
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Not according to rost, as he don't do no social media.... wink

wink wink
I've never hunted with Drum (my loss), but I have met him a few times face to face, and can vouch for his character and knowledge. He is first rate, no BS.
The video of the kill was all kinds of suspect, plus he didn't have any blaze orange on...which is a direct violation of Wyoming state law.
That has to be the gayest/lamest thing I've ever watched. The whole deal felt staged.

Some things that jumped out at me were:

1. The background where he supposedly shot from looked far different from the dead elk pics.
2. What's with the hat? That just looked dumb...
3. I like how he says, "This is the biggest bull I've ever taken" All before he supposedly shoots!
4. In the still pics at the end it looks like a field of some sort in the background. Not Wyoming wildernessy anyway...

What was the whistle sounding thing in the background during the vid?

That guy deserves all the bad that comes his way.
Is this guy some kind of celebrity hunter?

With the stupid hat, I got the impression he was a spokesman for whatever brand he had perched on his head. Seriously, who would where a hat like that hunting unless they were expecting some sort of payment?
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've never hunted with Drum (my loss), but I have met him a few times face to face, and can vouch for his character and knowledge. He is first rate, no BS.

No doubt.
Honestly, I couldn't care at all, in any way, if the guy took the bull in a 6x6' high fenced pen, or if it was a complete open wilderness where he had to find/track/kill it over 500 square miles, all by himself over 4 months time. I just don't care about how good a hunter anyone else is, as it doesn't affect my life in any way.

That said, while there are many discrepancies in the video, I still don't know if the guy was high-fence hunting, and lying about taking it in open wilderness ... or if he was legit. Despite the discrepancies, here's why I think that:

1. The video portions were obviously pieced together, but this could have been an amateur attempt to create what appeared to be a real-time documentary of the hunt. But if he was alone originally on the hunt, he would have had to go back with someone working a camera and re-trace his steps, and do his best to create a video that supposedly chronicled the original hunt.

2. as evidenced by the change from orange under-shirt to black under-shirt, it would appear that something is "wrong". But who knows? Maybe he was doing what I described in item 1 above, and just changed shirts or whatever between the time one part was filmed, and the next.

3. I listened a few times, and I can't tell for sure if he says "this is the biggest bull I've ever taken" or "this'll be the biggest bull I've ever taken". And even if he does say the former, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he fully figures he's going to be able to get it. Also, if he DID film this post-hunt to re-create it, then the slip-up is somewhat understandable.

someone else mentioned wanting to see both ears to make sure if there was or was not a tag in one ear. In the video, you see both ears, and unless the tag was attached to the very tip of the right ear, there doesn't appear to be a tag. Then again, I can only assume that the tags are removable, and could have been removed for the pictures.

truly, again, IDGAF if he really hunted it, or high-fenced it, or made the vid in real time, or re-created it. I'm just posing some possibilities to explain how these discrepancies may have come about.

EDIT TO ADD:

One other thing I noticed while watching was that right before the shot, he looks like he had a decent amount of stubble on the higher parts of his cheeks above the main part of his beard. After the shot, when the shirt was changed as well, it looked like he'd shaved that morning/day, and his upper cheeks above the main beard part were pretty clean. Not really able to tell for sure though, as lighting and video compression can make that stuff look different than it really is.

that just another thing that makes me thing that the video was done post-hunt to just try to re-create and document the hunt - whether it was legit open country, or fenced.
You won't find me on Facebook
The 24HC is my social media I guess. No Facebook or any of that crap.

Social media can make road hunters look impressive.

Most great hunters that I know do not look for notoriety at all, they kill big stuff for their own reasons none of which is proving a damn thing to anyone else.
Our DC chapter of Safari Club International has a Facebook page. We only post veterans activities, donations to Hunters For The Hungry, programs for wildlife education, & other non-hunting activities. Despite this we received angry phone calls & emails over the recent lion(Cecil) kill. Our chapter president even received a death threat. We never post trophies or hunting articles.
Originally Posted by Lonny
That has to be the gayest/lamest thing I've ever watched. The whole deal felt staged.

Some things that jumped out at me were:

1. The background where he supposedly shot from looked far different from the dead elk pics.
2. What's with the hat? That just looked dumb...
3. I like how he says, "This is the biggest bull I've ever taken" All before he supposedly shoots!
4. In the still pics at the end it looks like a field of some sort in the background. Not Wyoming wildernessy anyway...

What was the whistle sounding thing in the background during the vid?

That guy deserves all the bad that comes his way.

Also, he has two used cartridge shells in his rifle stock holder - look, the primers have been shot. Yet, he is hunting on day two of the opener, in the wilderness...???WTF??!!!
Another sad state of affairs and just more evidence of the instant gratification society we live in. I've reeled way back on FB, I've just tired of the discord.

I have zero respect for 90% of the outdoor shows/websites, etc. because I know many, many outdoorsmen who run circles around them. Many here do for sure. We just don't all gave trust funds or bank rolls. smile
I appreciate the kind words guys and I promise thats not what I was trolling for. Its just frustrating to see guys that have no business hunting by themselves because they lack of any kind of common sense go on to have thousands of "followers" on social media. Social media is a narcissists wet dream and these guys have found that you can be anything you want to be on the internet and they go crazy

Perception is not reality and its a shame to see the sport head in this direction.

Geedub, I'll call soon so we can make plans for this year. We aren't done yet, I still owe you my friend...

Drummond
If you want some interesting reading look at the comment section and see who replied. Reminds me a bit of the campfire, lol.

http://blog.eastmans.com/up-a-creek-400-deep/
Interesting thread. I bailed out of Facebook. Somebody started an imposter Facebook account with my name, birthday, cell phone number etc. Apparently they do that to harvest contact info from my acquaintances who click on my FB account. I started getting a dozen text messages a day from Facebook on my cell phone. It took some doing but FB shut it down. I had started my own FB account a few years ago due to my kids bugging me to, but I rarely looked at it and never posted on it. I shut that one down also.

My son and grandson each killed a record book bull elk this Fall and the only FB info is minimal comments from others. A lot of hunters in their small town are trying to find out where they hunt and they prefer low profile rather than bragging!

I'm in my 50s, come from deep roots in a hunting family, and none were professional pitch men having commercial motivations. But, we've been close to some, past and present, who made a living out of doing so, and who even at times, not only published articles, but also had their own sponsored hunting and fishing shows. Two of those were closer to my father, and were actually kinda like my childhood heroes. Not only did I love to watch their shows, much of which involved hunting and fishing in areas familiar to me, but these "celebrity hero's" were unlike my childhood fantasy hero, superman, they were actually real people, who being family friend's, proved themselves over and over again as being stalwart promoters of hunting and fishing, vs promoters of themselves, their names, or their brands. This is difficult to find today, as most I see now are only loyal to those, who at the time, cut the sponsored checks, and therefore, that person becomes a traveling pitchman/soapbox roadshow, driven to market and to promote themselves for the highest bidder, vs to promote hunting and fishing. Now it seems these guys are more like a "Ricky Bobby" sideshow than the real deal.

So now, I look at these guys along the lines like my childhood superman, an actor, an act, someone having something to sell, a NASCAR sideshow. It is very hard to find the real deal today, and likely, you'd not find such on Instagram or Facebook.
© 24hourcampfire