Home
Posted By: Youper Out of State spring bear - 01/17/16
I'm thinking of an out of State (i. e. not Michigan) guided spring black bear hunt in 2017. What states or provinces should I be looking at? I order of importance I would put mine as:

1) Ease of getting a tag.

2) Ease of getting a bear.

3) Cost.

4) trophy potential. This is less important than the other three.

From a travel stand point Ontario seems the easiest, but I know nothing about out of State hunting. I'm looking only at spring, because I hunt them here at home in the fall.
Ontario has just recently re-opened the spring bear hunting seasons. The spring season was closed for 15 years so the potential for getting a bear are good. An internet search will reveal lots of outfitters and allow a comparison of facilities and prices. With the present downturn in the value of the Canadian dollar you probably can't find a cheaper hunt. I'm not a bear hunter so can not provide any recommendations on an outfitter.

Jim
Posted By: noKnees Re: Out of State spring bear - 01/17/16
I have hunted the spring season in New Brunswick. It was pretty inexpensive ($1300 including the license) for a six day hunt. I saw pretty good number of bear, but none were monsters. I could have shot an fair adult 5 of the 6 nights. In the end I took a 5 footer, made a nice rug.

Over all it was a nice hunt and as you don't go out on stand till mid afternoon, you can fish in the mornings.

People don't think of it but it would be a very good first father/son hunt. Moderate temps, you see a good amount of wildlife and the shooting range is short.
Posted By: atse Re: Out of State spring bear - 01/17/16
Idaho allows baiting and hound hunting, if you want to go out west.
Wyoming over the counter tags. No dogs but bait and spot and stalk. I've gone out last few years and took friends out a couple times all have gotten bears. May like that there's lots of color phase, something different to try for I also did take the wife out last fall and she got a nice black bear

I go run around with Ross Adney when I'm out there. www.beavertrapoutfitters.com
Posted By: horse1 Re: Out of State spring bear - 01/20/16
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Ontario has just recently re-opened the spring bear hunting seasons. The spring season was closed for 15 years so the potential for getting a bear are good. An internet search will reveal lots of outfitters and allow a comparison of facilities and prices. With the present downturn in the value of the Canadian dollar you probably can't find a cheaper hunt. I'm not a bear hunter so can not provide any recommendations on an outfitter.

Jim

Per the Minstry's website the spring hunt was residents only in '15. Has that changed for '16?
Posted By: Youper Re: Out of State spring bear - 01/22/16
Thanks for the replys you guys. Over the counter sounds attractive in Wyoming. I still have some home work to do.
Originally Posted by atse
Idaho allows baiting and hound hunting, if you want to go out west.
Tags are also OTC.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Out of State spring bear - 01/24/16
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim

Jim

Per the Minstry's website the spring hunt was residents only in '15. Has that changed for '16?

Yes, there is a spring hunt this year (2016) for non-residents.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
© 24hourcampfire