Home
Posted By: bwinters Merino wool base layers - 01/21/16
I ordered several pieces of First Lite merino wool base layers during the MidwayUSA sale. They arrived. The fit and quality is excellent. My issue is that they feel a bit like wool on my skin. I have not washed them.

I need to decide if I want to keep them. They feel really soft but against my skin they feel scratchy, especially when I put a pack on. I had the same experience with Icebreaker several years ago but thought I'd give the First Lite a try. Does the First Lite merino 'soften' up after they are washed? Or do I just have wimpy skin? Starting to think the later.............

Thanks.
Posted By: hunting1 Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/21/16
They will get softer after a wash or two. Merino can't be beat in my opinion. I wash and hang to dry so it lasts longer.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/21/16
They are wool afterall...

My wife is sensitive, even soft to me, smartwool itches to her... I had bought her cabelas wool pants and hooded jacket years ago... no way in hell she wears them... lol.. but put a thin silk under and life is good.

Posted By: Heeler Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/21/16
Mine seemed to soften up after the first wash.
Never had any problem with Ulfrotte wool base layer. Its pretty warm though so I usually don't break it out till December stand hunting or ice fishing.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/21/16
Smartwool is very good. To me not scratchy at all.

Sometimes I use a merino wool sweater as base layer if it's real cold and they work swell. Cashmere sweaters I grab on sale as well.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/21/16
I recently purchased a Kuiu merino top. At first I thought there was no way in the world I could ever wear it; as scratchy as you can imagine. Washing didn't help much but when I finally made the move to the dryer with low heat and fabric softener, bingo! Wore it five days straight on a recent hunt, as comfortable as can be, and I have very sensitive skin so thats saying something.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/21/16
I wear Smart Wool Merino 250 as base layer. Very comfortable.
Posted By: Adkstalker Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/21/16
I use a base layer of silk under my wool...perfect
Posted By: WildWest Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/21/16
You might try Ice Breakers from New Zealand? I was there and handled some of the tops and long johns and they are very smooth and not scratchy at all. Merino wool.There are dealers in The US.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/22/16
After talking with a bunch of people and doing Googlefu on merino wool 'scratchiness', I've decided to try the FL merino. The issue is one of 3 things:

1. Loose wool fibers in the material that will come out when washed a time or two.

2. "Sizing" material on the fibers. Sizing is some type of chemical used to help initially/start knitting the fibers.

3. i have wimpy skin.

I have base layers that are 50% merino and wear them with zero issues. In fact, I didn't even know they had merino in them till I read the tag. They are a Duofold product and no longer made. The only issue with them is that they smell after a hard day or two. And not just a little.
Posted By: MarlinMark Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/22/16
I ordered a pair of the Sitka gear long bottoms last year because the deal was awesome. They are the best longies I've ever had. Bar none.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/22/16
Look up wool diaper suppliers. They have a lanolin fabric softener for wool that softens and rejuvenates the fibers. These are organic and hypo allergenic so good literally for a babies bottom. Helps with waterproofing pants too.

First lite are good products so I don't think
Icebreaker or any of the others would be a huge difference.
Posted By: handsup Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/23/16
Merino quality varies but if you have tried Icebreaker then your skin just does not like what for many of us is the best. I have worn long sleeved Ts in the Australian outback at over 120 and mountain hunted with it in the 20s and would not use anything else.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/23/16
Icebreakers feel almost like silk or cotton to me.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/23/16
My wife and I are big Icebreaker fans, they make an outstanding product. I live in mine late fall, winter and early spring.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/23/16
Buy the thinnest, cheapest cashmere sweater that you can afford. They work great.
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/24/16
The Omni Wool stuff is great. Doesn't shrink, super soft, doesn't itch.
Nice thin layer that really works.
http://www.amazon.com/Omni-Wool-Dual-Layer-Thermal-Bottoms-Baselayer/dp/B019G88ZP8
My wife brought a pair of those home from Sam's club. They are nice when your just hanging out. But when you work up a sweat they get pretty clammy.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/25/16
I really like Minus 33 merino, no itch at all to me...same as Smartwool. Kuiu merino was not nearly as comfortable for me.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/27/16
Most of the itchiness will be gone with the first or second washing. This is due to the fibers that stick out after weaving.

The best products I have used for washing in descending order are: Eucolan, Nikwax wool, and Woolight. All of these have lanolin in them and that's best for wool as each washing reduces this and the properties that make wool so good.

Unfortunately they all have an odor. I add cedar oil and then air them out. Both cedar and eucalyptus aide in moth proofing.

After you wash them in one of the above and use them all buyer remorse will be gone. I even like a minor bit of itchiness as it seems to help stimulate circulation and makes me feel warmer.

Posted By: bwinters Re: Merino wool base layers - 01/30/16
I sent both the First Lite and Cabelas ECWS back and bought Icebreaker 260 Tech Tops. My first experience with Icebreaker a while back must have been an anomaly because these shirts are the ticket. No scratch/itch right out of the box. I did keep the FL Labrador sweater and Allegheny bottoms. I love wool sweaters and this one is very nice.

I think I discovered the layering system for me - Icebreaker 260 top next to skin, Allegheny bottoms, FL Labrador sweater, FL Uncompaghre puffy, with Kuiu Guide jacket/pants, Smartwool socks (heavy crew). The puffy will ride in the pack until its needed. That system is light, warm, breathable, and has the athletic fit I was looking for. I don't know how waterproof the Kuiu Guide system is but expect to find out this spring chasing turkeys.

The Cabelas ECWS is made for boys or women. I couldn't get the medium shirt on and the bottoms felts like some kind of dancer tights. Needless to say, if you buy them order at least 1 size larger......
© 24hourcampfire