Home
Posted By: EdM Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/17/16
Well after twelve days of hunting it was just not to be. Short of three days, SE Alaska offered steady rain including two storms that had us head 2 1/2 hours away into a calm cove for the nights/days. We knew the bears would be out early given the mild winter but it appeared a fair bit earlier than this first hunt. A number of boars were severely rubbed. I passed on a pretty 8 1/2' bear on the second day, saw a few 8'-ers with rubs and others less. We did catch and chow on crab and shrimp and, overall, the trip was a great experience. The other hunter, a great guy, also left without. The outfitter, guide and cook were great, food was top notch but the weather did suck. Oh well, working on a return for 2018.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/17/16
Ed been waiting to see how you did. Spring hunts can be as fickle as SE Alaska.

Glad you enjoyed the experience as SE is as glorious as it gets.

Good for you passing on bears that did not meet your standards!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/17/16
Hey, you won, you went instead of staying home and dreaming about it. Great experiences in life don't come often enough. I'd rather look at bears than shoot them anymore anyway.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/17/16
Hey, and I wanted you to take me bear hunting again, Fireball2.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/17/16
Ed,

I've been waiting to hear a report too. So sorry it was not to be, but as you already know, it's an experience of a lifetime.

Looking forward to pictures if you have any to share.

Good to hear you're back safe and sound.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/17/16
Bummer abut the weather! Still, it beats sitting in Boerne and watching it rain. smile Better luck next time!

Ben
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/17/16
Glad you had a good hunt. Sorry you didn't score.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/17/16
Too bad about the weather. That would get old in a hurry.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/17/16
Originally Posted by Ringman
Hey, and I wanted you to take me bear hunting again, Fireball2.

Anytime Rich.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/17/16
Like you said, spring bear hunting can be hit or miss. This time it was a miss, but I hope you had a great hunt. Good on you not just shooting something below your standard.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/18/16
sounds like most of my trips to mass, after bluefin tuna. out
of 4 trips up there the weather has been against me on 3 of them. the last trip weather was perfect but the fish didn't cooperate. still have a great time regardless being with good friends and making new ones is rewarding, a tuna would only be icing on the cake.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/18/16
Sorry to hear the weather didn't cooperate with you, Ed. Glad to hear that a good time was had in spite of the weather.

Posted By: Owl Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/18/16
Ed, sorry no harvest. But a successful hunt does not always mean game meat in the freezer.

You have returned home safely with wonderful memories.

Better luck on your next hunt.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/18/16
That's a real bummer. I'm sure it was still a great experience, I know it would be for me.
Posted By: SKane Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/18/16
Sorry to hear about the weather. It's hard enough getting the bears to cooperate let alone mother nature throwing wrench after wrench into the gears.

Pulling the trigger is but an instant to a memorable hunt. Sounds like you had a good camp and great experience and got to see some bruins, so there's little doubt you're filled with anticipation to return!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/18/16
Sounds like you still made good of it, Ed. Sorry about the weather.
Posted By: powdr Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/18/16
Darn ED, I was sooooo hoping you would score. powdr
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/19/16
It ain't called a temperate rain forest for nothing.

Still nothing like the air in SE
Sorry Ed. It will make it that much sweeter when you go back and get one.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/19/16
Sounds like it was still a good trip.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/19/16
Darn the luck EdM.

2018 will be here before you know it.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/19/16
Sorry to hear you didn't connect on a bruin this trip, Ed! That always sucks, but it's happened to any/all of us.

You pay your money for such a trip not to kill an animal, but to hunt that animal. Hunting and getting aren't the same thing. I know you know that, not tryin' to preach at ya... just for some reason I'm thinkin' this morning of all the elk tag soup I've had to choke down...
Posted By: johnw Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/19/16
No bear taken, but I'll bet you treasure the memory of those storms...
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/19/16

Originally Posted by EdM
SE Alaska offered steady rain including two storms . . .

Sorry about that weather Ed, the first part of May really sucked.

I made it out on the boat this past weekend as was able to make the first trip of the year to our cabin (betwixt Juneau and Petersburg). Three back-to-back-to-back days of clear skies and record breaking temps. We had a 7-7.5 footer walk by the first night right at sunset. Had to run him off with the .44 before he caused any trouble - I didn't want a "holy" inflatable raft.
Posted By: EdM Re: Brown Bear 1 - EdM 0 - 05/20/16
Appreciate the replies gents. I knew what could be ahead and so it turned. When I returned home my youngest said, "so you didn't score for the first time in how many hunts?". He then wanted the details of each stalk. It was more than good.
© 24hourcampfire