Home
Posted By: borden811 Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/03/16
So, say you're going on a moose hunt in Newfoundland. These aren't Yukon mosters, but moose none the less. You've got two rifle options.

1. Remington model 700 350 Remington magnum. Started out as a Remington classic, but is currently glass bedded in a 700 Alaskan Titanium takeoff stock, wears a Kahles 1.5-6x42, and shoots 225gr partitions under an inch at 100.

2. Remington 700 300 RUM. Started out as a CDL but is currently pillar/glass bedded in a B&C carbelite Classic stock, wears a leupold vx3 4.5-14x40 CDS, and shoots 200gr accubonds under an inch at 100.

Which one do you take as your primary rifle, and why?

Cuzz I'm not a fan of shooting rums and I hate the 4.5-14 Leupold.
Both reasonable choices, but I prefer the 350.
In case of a longer shot, .300!!
The 350. Never shot a moose, but Maine lottery is next week, but to my mind 35s were made for moose and bears!
You're pretty safe with either rifle but personally, I wouldn't want a 4.5-14 scope, so I'd pick #1. From what I've seen and heard, moose aren't that hard to kill. I watched 2 of my daughters kill moose very nicely with 140 grain Accubonds from 7mm-08's.
I'd use the .350 RM. But that's only because I find it more interesting. I've killed them with the .30-30, .30-06, and .450 Marlin . I now want to take one with a .270 or .280 .
I've got a 450 Marlin too, but I don't like it as much as the other two rifles. I was leaning towards the 350, and I'm not sure if a shot would present itself that would be so far that I couldn't make it with the 350, and could with the 300.
definately the 300 RUM, don't set yoursrlf up with a rainbow trajectory cartridge, been there done that and missed out on some very large racked bulls because of cartridge choice, better to be prepared for a long shot on a possible trophy of a lifetime past 500 yards, than not.... plus the 300 RUM absolutely hammers them closer in as well
350 RM
350 Rem.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/03/16
the .350

Cuz I hate RUMs too...... grin
7x57....

Actually I meant .350.
Posted By: mart Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/03/16
350 Rem.
Anyone with experience know how likely long shots are in Newfoundland?
.350Mag and the rum as an alternate...ScottyO. grin

I think the 350 is probably one of the most under used and unappreciated but very good cartridges there is and I'd certainly pick it over the RUM; like the scope and power ramge too.

After all the continuous instruction here on the campfire:

No long shots
No FFP scopes
No SFP scopes
No magnums
No variable scopes
No bipods

All that is left is to shoot an original Winchester 1876 in 40-60, off hand in timber with a 65 pound back full of double malt sipping whiskey after a 12 mile hike...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/03/16
Either one is sufficient to kill moose.

Where I hunted the guides would point them out at 400yds on a nice day and you could see about 50yds in a light rain. Rain, heavy rain, is a normal experience there. Horizontal weather is common.

Which gun are you willing to hunt in driving rain, rain/snow mix, or wet snow. Your gun can get soaked day after day so which one will do the best in snowing blowing rain? The answer to that question would strongly influence my choice.

Jim
Posted By: tkinak Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/03/16
I'd love to shoot one with my 350!! My vote. Last and only one I shot was at 50-60'
Take the 350 Rem Mag.
350 Rem for sure, not a fan of the big RUM rounds and the 350 will work well for any reasonable shot.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/04/16
Originally Posted by shrapnel

After all the continuous instruction here on the campfire:

No long shots
No FFP scopes
No SFP scopes
No magnums
No variable scopes
No bipods

All that is left is to shoot an original Winchester 1876 in 40-60, off hand in timber with a 65 pound back full of double malt sipping whiskey after a 12 mile hike...

[Linked Image]

So it has to be double malt whisky!?!
Originally Posted by postoak
Anyone with experience know how likely long shots are in Newfoundland?

Newfoundland is a pretty large area and has varying terrain. Also the season is long and allows different hunting styles. Around the rut, when most off islanders try to book their hunt moose can often be called into very close range, the rest of the year its mainly spot and stalk, but with moose's eyesight and a favorable wind you should be able to get well within the range of either rifle. Two of my friends have done it with a patched round ball from a flintlock and a stick and string.
Talk to your outfitter, they'll tell you what they recommend. I'll bet they suggest a .30-06, .270, or similar common cartridge.
I wouldn't want a long range Moose. The closer they are, the more exhilirating the experience. My closest has been 75 yards and my farthest 150. I'd like to take one in archery range with a rifle.
Seems lime folks forrget that just cause you can see something 2 kilometers away doesn't mean you have to shoot it that far away. Everyone I know whose hunted Newfoundland killed their moose except guys who stayed drunk the entire trip or otherwise never ventured far from camp. Most killed moose under 200 yards none over 400.
[Linked Image]

I used a 30-30
Didn't get the double malt memo
[Linked Image]

I killed this Vermont moose with a Marlin .30-30.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/04/16
Now I know you boys are full of condensed owl chit. Folks have been telling me lately the 30/30 won't even kill deer! What gives?
.350 RM.
.350 it is!
Well I hunted Moose in Newfoundland just about every year from 1972 to 85 or so! I might be a bit dated! Its very boggy country, you are going to need to be in good shape! As for rifle, my Uncle shot all his and he hunted their from '65 to 85, he shot a 308 and what ever ammo was on sale, filled his tag every year! I would take the 350 as its sights are more than enough- I did all mine with a fixed 4x on an old 7mm RM M-700 that I bought in 1971! You don't need much in the way of rifle, you just need to be able to shoot well enough to put a bullet in the vitals! I would spend more time on foot ware and cloths, you want to stay warm and dry and not end up with foot problems after the first day! I learned that one the hard way!
Originally Posted by moosemike
I wouldn't want a long range Moose. The closer they are, the more exhilirating the experience. My closest has been 75 yards and my farthest 150. I'd like to take one in archery range with a rifle.

Moose are meat. I'll take one about anywhere I can, and where I can get to it is even better. Especially with wheels of some sort
The clear answer is you need a new rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7mm Remington Magnum.
Posted By: Brad Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/04/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
7x57....

Actually I meant .350.

Passive aggressive grin
Originally Posted by ironbender

I like the way you think. Suggestions? grin
.378 Wby and a 270 gr bullet of your choice.
Posted By: Owl Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/04/16
I've never hunted moose personally.

I did live in northern British Columbia (Quesnel & Vanderhoof) in the early 80's. I had a few friends that harvested moose every year.

The most popular cartridges in that area at that time ? Not a magnum...

1) .303 British Enfield 180grn bullets
2) .30-06 Springfield 180-220 grn bullets
3) .30-30 Winchester 170 grn bullets

Here is a survey that I found on another web page:

Moose Hunting Rifle Survey Results

The results of the vote for your favorite moose hunting rifle caliber are in constant change.

As of September 17, 2015: 1506 respondents.

30-06 (23.0%) chose as their favorite moose rifle.
.308 (10.0%)
300 Win Mag (9.1%)
7mm Rem Mag (9.1%)
.270 (6.5 %)
Other 19%

Here are links to the website:

http://www.all-about-moose.com/moose-hunting-rifle.html

http://www.all-about-moose.com/moose-hunting-ammunition.html

Good luck with your cartridge choice and your hunt.

Jeff
The 350RM you have would be my clear choice. Shoots the right bullet accurately, synthetic stock, easy to make shots out to 300 yds + if you know your rifle well. Perfect rifle/scope/bullet combo for the weather and conditions you might find and enough power at moderate velocities. What else would you want?

The 300 RUM is an excellent cartridge but I suspect it has a fairly long barrel that is great for long range shots but not particularly handy for close in quick shots.

Take the rifle you like better, shoot well, and that will make the hunt a memorable experience. I shot my only moose in AK at under 150 yds in a light rain and fog with a 325 WSM. Plenty of rifle for the job.
the only good thing about the rum option is the name ... so with the good scope you have on it 350 rem mag will be my choice.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/04/16
Originally Posted by borden811
1. Remington model 700 350 Remington magnum. Started out as a Remington classic, but is currently glass bedded in a 700 Alaskan Titanium takeoff stock, wears a Kahles 1.5-6x42, and shoots 225gr partitions under an inch at 100.

This looks like it was designed for moose. If I was going I'd take my 700 Classic 350 RM with it's Leupold 1.5-5 vari-x III.
That .350 is made for moose hunting. If was to take a back up it'd be the 450 marlin personally. Don't think you'll be encountering long shots, but who knows what type of situation you might get in.

I know if I can ever draw a tag here I'll be using my .45-70 or .375
Originally Posted by GuideGun
That .350 is made for moose hunting. If was to take a back up it'd be the 450 marlin personally. Don't think you'll be encountering long shots, but who knows what type of situation you might get in.

I know if I can ever draw a tag here I'll be using my .45-70 or .375

+1. The .350 and .450 have Moose written all over them. Funny thing, the Moose I killed with the .450 Marlin was almost a .350 Rem mag instead. We were driving back a 13 mile logging road in northern New Hampshire when I saw three Moose and pulled the truck over. My Ruger 7mm mag was still in it's case ( I wasn't road hunting, just trying to reach my hunting spot) so when I got out my stepson handed me his .450 Marlin. I threw a single round in and shot a 9 1/2 yo bull. My stepson had a Reemy 673 .350 mag on layaway that was supposed to go on that hunt but he didn't pick it up in time.
Posted By: Brad Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/05/16
Back to your two choices: 350 RM.

That's the one.
Posted By: Dre Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/05/16
Main gun 350, but bring the 7 as a back up.

I would go with #1. I'm also not a fan of the 4.5-14 or the blast of the RUM.

I'm getting old, I guess.
Originally Posted by borden811
Originally Posted by ironbender

I like the way you think. Suggestions? grin

06 bolt gun
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/07/16
What's a double malt whisky?
Originally Posted by jorgeI
What's a double malt whisky?

Fancy way to say blended whiskey.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Oh - 350 would be my choice.
My hunting partner and I have been to Newfoundland twice for moose. We've taken two each. His with a 338-06 using 225 gr. Partitions. I took my first one with a .338 Win. using original Barnes 225 gr. X bullets and the second with a 35 Whelen using 225 gr. TSX bullets. All shots were less than 150 yards.

Not hard to figure my recommendation would be your .350.
Originally Posted by Owl
I've never hunted moose personally.

I have. Proved for myself the old adage, "nothing spoils a good moose hunt faster than some damn fool shootin' a moose."

Originally Posted by Owl
I did live in northern British Columbia (Quesnel & Vanderhoof) in the early 80's. I had a few friends that harvested moose every year.

The most popular cartridges in that area at that time ? Not a magnum...

1) .303 British Enfield 180grn bullets
2) .30-06 Springfield 180-220 grn bullets
3) .30-30 Winchester 170 grn bullets

Good luck with your cartridge choice and your hunt.

Jeff

Yep. I'd wager more moose have died with .308 and .311 caliber bullets in 'em than any other caliber. The old .303 Brit was the gold standard when I was a young feller in northern Alberta.
And here I was dumb enough to think all the fun started once someone shot one.

But thats me.

I'm dumb enough to enjoy to follow the puzzle of the blood trail to the animal too.
Next time we get around a campfire I'll tell you the story of my last (1978) moose hunt, Jeff.
Posted By: Owl Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/08/16
Doc.

Are you coming to Armijo Springs in July? I would love to hear the story.

What part of Alta did you live in ?

Jeff
Originally Posted by rost495
And here I was dumb enough to think all the fun started once someone shot one.

But thats me.

I'm dumb enough to enjoy to follow the puzzle of the blood trail to the animal too.

The quickest way to ruin a perfectly good Moose hunt is to shoot one.
Take the rifle you shoot best at 150 yards. That should be your longest shot unless have to take a follow-up. If are not significantly more accurate with one rifle then take the one that weighs less when has 3 or 4 rounds loaded. You might hike a bit and lighter is nice in that case.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Which rifle for moose hunt? - 06/08/16
If your .350 RM isn't the obvious choice for moose why the h$ll do you own it??
Originally Posted by MikeL2
If your .350 RM isn't the obvious choice for moose why the h$ll do you own it??

Well said!
Originally Posted by Owl
Doc.

Are you coming to Armijo Springs in July? I would love to hear the story.

What part of Alta did you live in ?

Jeff

Except for 8 years off and on, I lived in/around Calgary. I taught school north of Edmonton in Ft. Assiniboine/Barrhead area in the 70's, and went back to Edmonton to do my medical residency at the Edmonton Knife & Gun Club (Royal Alex Hosp) in 1988. Did a lot of huntin and fishin in the Swan Hills, Edson, and Willmore areas.

I won't be at the July campfire, sorry. Gotta work. frown
© 24hourcampfire