Home
Posted By: zia NM off-range Oryx - 07/10/16
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/ranchdoc/matt%20off%20range%20oryx.jpg [Linked Image]
My son harvested this off-range Oryx this weekend, had to hustle to take care of the meat it was 93 degrees! Passed on 3 cows earlier in the day, blew a stalk on another and finally connected.

Posted By: elkhunternm Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Congrats!

Enjoy some of the best eatin' meat you will ever get.
Posted By: jwall Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Alllllright! !

What cartridge ?

I'm jealous.

Jerry
Posted By: Sako76 Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Congrats, what rifle is that?
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Congratulations
Posted By: zia Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Its a Kimber 300 WSM
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Very nice!!!!!
Posted By: hunting1 Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Very nice, big congrats! Looks like you were down near Mayhill area? What did he use in the 300WSM or load?

Good eating!! Very nice!
I think he had a Barnes 180 grain bullet
Posted By: JGRaider Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Congrats!

Enjoy some of the best eatin' meat you will ever get.

You can say that again......fantastic! Great pic too.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Excuse my ignorance, but what is meant by off range
Not on the White Sands Missile Range which is a limited once-in-a-lifetime tag. They introduced the Oryx to the missile range in the early 60's and since then the animals have expanded "off-range"
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16

Those off-range oryx are tough to find!

Helluva job!
Posted By: Razz Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Excellent and congratulations! Nice heavy bases and defined rings, was it a male? Some of the best eating you will find, just don't let your friends know or it will disappear fast. Now comes taxidermy bills!
It was a cow, 32" on one side and 34 1/2 on the other but big bases for a female. We didn't really care since it was off-range, just trying for one with both horns intact. We passed on a few broken-horn or no-horn cows earlier in the day. Already have a 36" bull and a 40" cow mounted so this will be a cool skull mount. As you said the meat is very good, even my wife and daughter will eat Oryx.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Nice shootin iron!
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Do you have to get a tag for the "off-range" critters?
Posted By: SLM Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/11/16
Very nice.

Congrats to your son.
Yes you need a tag, they are good for 30 days. I think the non-resident license is 1600 dollars! Resident around 150. They sure move around the country, a few years ago we never saw Oryx in this area now we see them all the time. They are so well adapted to the desert and are very hardy, a wonderful game animal and yes really tasty.
Posted By: efw Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/17/16
Congrats on a beautiful animal; sounds like a pretty warm hunt!

Are off range non resident tags lottery or is that only on-range?
Posted By: zia Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/17/16
Well I am not sure about the non resident tags. There are lottery tags through the drawing for both on-range and month long tags for off-range. My friend gets land-owner tags that are good for a month once we activate them, I assume he could sell or give them to a non resident as well. The ranch used to be a great mule deer ranch, now we rarely see deer but lots of elk and oryx, I think they are more adaptable and less predator sensitive.
Posted By: KC Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/18/16

WOW!!!
Posted By: jmgraham1986 Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/20/16
Looking good mike! Were you in one of Shawn's spots?
Posted By: zia Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/20/16
Thanks! No, it is a friend of mines ranch, which Shawn lol?
Posted By: jmgraham1986 Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/20/16
Shawn D... the guy that is a off range Oryx magnet. Works on bows and used to fight fires.
Posted By: zia Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/20/16
OK, got it. No, I havnt talked to Shawn in a while, I saw him at the new store a few months ago but I didn't realize he was the oryx whisperer. I lucked into this place helping the owner with his cattle ( c-section). He invited us down and told us to get a license and bring a gun because he had a bunch of Oryx on him.... he wasn't exaggerating !
Posted By: JGRaider Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/21/16
Way cool deal zia........and waaaay jealous here! Congrats again.
Posted By: zia Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/21/16
Thank you, my son also lives in west Texas, he just graduated from WTAMU in Canyon. Today he is on a flight to Namibia then Zimbabwe to film hunts for a month, maybe more pictures of dead Oryx but in Africa!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/22/16
Canyon TX is a great place. I've killed several in Namibia myself and eat as much as possible of it over there. It's by far my favorite meat, which is why I want one here so bad.

Lucky kid......!
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/22/16
Nicely done!
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/23/16
Congrats to your son. Awesome trophy!
Posted By: zia Re: NM off-range Oryx - 07/27/16
Lucky kid, he got hired to film hunts in Africa for a month in Namibia and Zimbabwe. His boss let him borrow a gun and shoot a nice Black Wildebeest yesterday.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire