Home
Posted By: Oregonmuley 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/05/16
So just got home last night from my annual Wyoming antelope hunt. And like every year I had about as much fun as one can have hunting. Antelope have become my favorite critter to go after and I look forward to my time in Wyoming all year.

Like most years I went solo so my pictures aren't that great and I just never take as many as I'd like of the adventure.

Anyway, the area I hunt sure was green this year, appears all the rain that came down in August greened everything up. Antelope number also seemed up in my area. Lots of bucks like the one I ended up with, he isn't huge but a pretty buck and I'm guessing if the winter isn't bad there will be some really good bucks next year.

So here is my 2016 buck, rifle used was my trusty Kampfeld Customs built .243 shooting my favorite 95 grain Fusion ammo:)

[Linked Image]

Decent mass and prongs and just over 14.25" on one side and 14" the other.
[Linked Image]
I love hunting antelope in WY as well. That's a great buck, and I'm sure you had a great time. I'm not far behind you. We leave next week.
Posted By: Oldslowdog Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/05/16

Nice.

Glad to hear the goat herd is bouncing back. I hadn't seen much in Wyoming the last several years....

Well done OM.

As usual.
Posted By: 805 Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/05/16
The 243 strikes again! Well done Frank!! Congrats on another great buck!
Posted By: Hugh Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/05/16
very nice.
Posted By: WildWest Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/05/16
Nice buck. Over 14 in is pretty good.
Posted By: SKane Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/05/16
Well done Frank! Seems I say that every year right around this time. smile
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/05/16
Frank,
Well done as always!
FYI there aren't as many bucks up northeast of Buffalo...
Marty
Posted By: JerradPelzer Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/05/16
Good job Frank. I need to meet up with one of these years out there. Nice lope!
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/05/16
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Frank,
Well done as always!
Marty

Marty - I think you did OK though based on that picture you sent me. Sorry we couldn't meet up in Buffalo, maybe next year??
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/05/16
Congrats Frank... Was great talking to you as always !!!
Posted By: efw Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/06/16
Dang man nice work I really miss being there this year! I love this annual post of yours and agree that they're an absolute blast to hunt!

Good buck nice pics!
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/06/16
Nice antelope Frank!!
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/06/16
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Frank,
Well done as always!
Marty

Marty - I think you did OK though based on that picture you sent me. Sorry we couldn't meet up in Buffalo, maybe next year??

If we are there, that's a deal!
Posted By: southwind Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/06/16
Well done, one of my favorite animals as well.
Congratulations
Posted By: Sendero_man Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/13/16
Frank,
Well done as always!
Marty

If we are there, that's a deal!

Dinner was great, missed ya Frank !!

You guys both did well
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/13/16
Congrats. A really nice lookin goat and certainly nothing to be ashamed of there!

Your solo pictures beat mine by a mile!
Nice antelope and great country. Looks like you had a great hunt. Like you, I think antelope is my favorite big game animal. I leave Monday for my antelope hunt and I can't wait!

I'm also partial to the 95 grain fusion in the .243. It works great in my rifle too.

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Santiam Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/17/16
Congrats Frank..Getting to be a annual tradition with you.. wink
Nice buck - congrats!

We had only doe tags. When Daughter #3 arrived with her fiancee we found a small herd in a crop circle, about 300 yards out. Although she has been shooting my .257 Roberts for years, this was her first hunt for game of any size, big or small. We settled in between some round bales to watch.

While we both were comfortable with her shooting out to 500 and 600 yards at the range, the 'lopes were not nervous and we decided to see if they would work their way back toward us. They did, but slowly. As we watched, there were two really nice shooter/wall-hanger bucks in the herd. Then another buck came out from behind a hay bale. All of us went "Wow!" That buck dwarfed the others and for the first time I wished someone had a buck tag.

Daughter #3 finally took a shot at a little under 200 yards. Bang/flop.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/20/16
Congrats to your daughter - most years I'll get a couple doe tags as well, I really like eating antelope so with a few more tags its good to have in the freezer!

One of the 2 "trophy" does from this year:)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/20/16
Good job! Horns taste like crap anyway. Doe antelope are a blast and eat well.
Posted By: wildcat33 Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/20/16
Looks like a great time! Congratulations.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/21/16
That looks like a lot of fun! Need to make that hunt happen myself and with my family one of these years. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Enjoy the good eating!
Proud Dad -

It isn't an expensive hunt, or doesn't need to be. Ask ranchers for access and you'll often get it for free if you're hunting does. (Less so for bucks.) Non-resident doe tags are about $35 each and you can apply for two.

Here's a photo of Daughter #1 from our WY hunt a couple weeks ago with a doe she took at a little over 360 yards:

[Linked Image]

Including the two grandkids, we had 9 family members on the hunt with five shooters. Everyone filled their tags in the space of two days. It has become an annual tradition that everyone looks forward to.

Recommend you get started sooner rather than later!

Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/22/16
Actually, unless its changed for some of the central units I'm pretty sure you can get up to 4 doe/fawn licenses? This might apply to all units but thought it was mostly for the central ones?? Someone who knows for sure can chime in but pretty sure you can get more then 2 doe tags most years if you wanted.
You half to be 12 to hunt big game in Wyoming right? My son is not 12 yet is there any other states that allow antelope hunting under the age of 12?
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/22/16
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Proud Dad -

It isn't an expensive hunt, or doesn't need to be. Ask ranchers for access and you'll often get it for free if you're hunting does. (Less so for bucks.) Non-resident doe tags are about $35 each and you can apply for two.

Here's a photo of Daughter #1 from our WY hunt a couple weeks ago with a doe she took at a little over 360 yards:

[Linked Image]

Including the two grandkids, we had 9 family members on the hunt with five shooters. Everyone filled their tags in the space of two days. It has become an annual tradition that everyone looks forward to.

Recommend you get started sooner rather than later!

Thanks. I'm going to start looking into making that happen. Life's too short to keep putting things off and I'm ready to start making things like this a reality. Looks like a great family adventure!
Posted By: claycrusher Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 10/23/16
Frank,
I was back in that area just north of you again this year.
I got out there on the 7th.
Bucks ran all the same size by us, but the numbers are starting to look good again.
Congrats on another fine animal.

Mark
Actually, unless its changed for some of the central units I'm pretty sure you can get up to 4 doe/fawn licenses? This might apply to all units but thought it was mostly for the central ones?? Someone who knows for sure can chime in but pretty sure you can get more then 2 doe tags most years if you wanted.

There is (or used to be) a way to get 4 doe tags. You can/could apply for a maximum of two in the draw, with the additional licenses being purchased after the draw as leftovers.

As far as I know there were no leftovers for Unit 9, where we hunt. Not that it mattered to us as we only went for one apiece in the draw. Have to save room in the freezer for elk. smile
Posted By: Bill_N Re: 2016 Wyoming Antelope - 11/03/16
Nice one - congrats!
© 24hourcampfire