Home
Posted By: Ralphie Another daughters antelope. - 10/07/16
My daughter and I have been hunting antelope for a few days now. We'd gotten on several bucks that wouldn't hold still for long enough. After a few times of taking too long to shoot I encouraged my daugther that she was going to have to shoot one of these times. Especially with deer and elk coming up. You can't just walk over the hill and find 6 more buck deer or bull elk like we usually can with antelope.

I got a little lecture back from her. Something about she'd rather not shoot than make a bad shot. Who does she think she is anyway.

This afternoon we finally got on a herd that didn't have a clue we were there. They were a little far at just under 300, but my daughter was prone and she kills prairie dogs at that distance with this very rifle. It's a M70 22-250 with 64 grain Noslers. I cut a cheaper stock down for her since she's a little short and needs a short lop.

There were two bucks and several does. Both bucks were up on a rock pile. She dumped him with one shot. I told her to reload and stay on him.

But he was done. Little brother and ruby were along too. My son really had fun dissecting the buck. Including cutting open the heart and seeing the chambers.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: AB2506 Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/07/16
Congrats!
Congrats Ralphie. That is awesome!
Posted By: Cinch Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/08/16
That's a great buck!
Posted By: memtb Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/08/16
Congrats, to you and your daughter. Also really good pictures, especially the picture with little brother, and your dog! Family is what it's all about. Congrats again. memtb
Congrats, priceless pbotos, and a nice buck. And you got a lecture to boot!
Posted By: mudhen Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/08/16
Very cool! Congratulations all around!
Posted By: Deans Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/08/16
That is way cool. Nice buck. Congrats to your daughter.
Congrats! Great pictures as well, and really nice buck - looks like he's got some extra "kickers" on his horns - good stuff!!
Great lope! Lots of character too! You and your daughter should be proud! Good job dad!
Posted By: rong Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/08/16
That right there is what it's all about,congrats to you and the young lady.
Originally Posted by rong
That right there is what it's all about,congrats to you and the young lady.

Plus 1. Well done, good on her!
Nice!
Great buck and looks like he might have a little age on him. Nice going lady,
Congratulations.
Awesome antelope and awesome shot. Congrats to all!!
Wow! Well done! Congrats to all!
Posted By: Hi_Vel Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/09/16
Originally Posted by Ralphie
My daughter and I have been hunting antelope for a few days now. We'd gotten on several bucks that wouldn't hold still for long enough. After a few times of taking too long to shoot I encouraged my daugther that she was going to have to shoot one of these times. Especially with deer and elk coming up. You can't just walk over the hill and find 6 more buck deer or bull elk like we usually can with antelope.

I got a little lecture back from her. Something about she'd rather not shoot than make a bad shot. Who does she think she is anyway.

This afternoon we finally got on a herd that didn't have a clue we were there. They were a little far at just under 300, but my daughter was prone and she kills prairie dogs at that distance with this very rifle. It's a M70 22-250 with 64 grain Noslers. I cut a cheaper stock down for her since she's a little short and needs a short lop.

There were two bucks and several does. Both bucks were up on a rock pile. She dumped him with one shot. I told her to reload and stay on him.

But he was done. Little brother and ruby were along too. My son really had fun dissecting the buck. Including cutting open the heart and seeing the chambers.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

for certain there are a lot of great posts on the campfire about successful hunts, and i enjoy seeing them.

that set forth, this one is a favorite--the young gal very handily scoring on the critter, the younger boy along for the experience and support--even checking out the heart, and the dog along too.

in addition, her desire to hold out until feeling good about the shot--all great stuff.

i really enjoy the idea that you have set her up with--in my opinion--one of the best deer or antelope cartridges to come down the pike. doing so in a model 70--it appears to be stainless--makes it all the better. i like the way you evidently kept the stock intact, yet temporarily outfit her with a useful stock configured in a suitable length of pull at this point in her adventures.

while i've used the .224 Nosler solid base pill on big game as far back as the 1970's, i've no experience with the bonded 64 grain pill you used here. while i advocate shooting behind the shoulder with .22 cf, it's just a guess--but i'd figure that pill could quite handily go through the shoulder of an antelope, even at that distance. i would imagine that the pill went on through to places unknown, so likely no way to post a pic of just what the spent pill looked like...

that experience will be one for the memory bank.
Ralphie;
Good morning to you sir, thanks so much for sharing the family hunt story and photos with us.

Please pass along congratulations to your daughter on that nice looking pronghorn. Very cool always to see the next generation of hunters afield and making winter's meat.

I will send you a tip of the hat as well for making sure the hunt took place. Well done sir.

Both photos by the way, are to me about as perfect for "trophy photos" as one will ever get. cool

Thanks again and all the best to you and yours this fall Ralphie.

Dwayne
Posted By: SKane Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/10/16
That's pretty cool. Sounds like your daughter put you in your place. grin

Good-lookin' youngsters you've got there.
Posted By: efw Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/10/16
Very, very cool man congrats to you both!
Your daughter sounds like mine. We were at a waterhole and a big doe showed up. I whispered "shoot the doe" BANG and the doe runs off. What happened, I said, she said "I was shooting at the spike since the males only get the does pregnant and run off". I guess she has a point there... she also passed up a big pig 'cause she could not get a clear shot... Congratulations to you and your daughter! Mel PS: kids grow up too quickly so enjoy the companionship while you can!
Posted By: LouisB Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/10/16
WTG Young Lady.
Congrats on a great job!
Great story. Kids look like they are having a blast
Posted By: LKEYES Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/10/16
Awesome!!
Thank you for the kind words.

I bought the rifle about 20 years ago for me as a coyote rifle. It killed a bunch and fox, pdogs, rock chucks, badgers too.

Then when the kiddos showed up I figured it'd work well for them with a shorter stock. It came with the featherweight walnut stock. I got a "hardwood" stock from a member here and cut it down and then re shaped the buttpad to fit. They've both shot prairie dogs with it and now an antelope. I wouldn't be surprised if the shorter stock fit my daughter even as an adult.

The 64 grain nosler kept on going. It is our first animal with that bullet.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/10/16
Ralphie,

Truly enjoyed your story and pictures. Congrats to the young lady....and to the impatient parent (jk). Been there, done that, and got similar lecture. Sounds like some pretty darn good kids you have there!
Congrats to all!

Love that dog too.
Cool...antelope is such a fun hunt. Nice shooting!!
Super job!! Well done on all accounts. The pics are pure gold.
Posted By: 5spd Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/13/16
Done very nicely from her end, she is a smart girl also.
Posted By: Judman Re: Another daughters antelope. - 10/13/16
Nice work, cool looking buck!
© 24hourcampfire