Home
Posted By: TomM1 Woodland Caribou Hunt Info - 11/20/16
Anybody been on a woodland caribou hunt? I am looking to book a hunt in 2017 or 2018 and debating between an antelope/muley combo or woodland caribou. I remember the 1st time I drove to AK and seeing guys hunting on horseback for woodland caribou in British Columbia, thinking I want to do that. Beautiful country but you just dont hear much about these type hunts. Anyone have some info, experience, stories, etc.
Posted By: Buzzie Re: Woodland Caribou Hunt Info - 11/20/16
Just got back from Newfoundland and had a great hunt. I could strongly recommend the outfitter I went with. He has been 100% the last several years and they are all big animals. He just shot what they think is going to go #8 in Newfoundland this September.

The hunts are expensive because the tags are so rare. The hunt itself is easy as you drive an argo and quad in for miles glassing the ridges. Then dive closer and stalk in. I shot mine at 80 yards.

The Woodland is a gorgeous animal. I went back in 09, with a different outfitter, and was unsuccessful. I then went with someone who was recommend and had a blast. Feel free to PM for additional info.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Woodland Caribou Hunt Info - 11/20/16
Thanks Buzzie, I'll PM you for info. Im looking for something in the B.C. area, Ive hunted them in the open type areas before, its the spot and stalk in mountains/timber that has me intrigued.
If you consider the mountain variety woodland caribou, which they are, then I have been on three hunts. Horseback is the way to do it for sure. Good hunts can be had in NW British columbia in the Cassiar mts, and all over the Yukon and east over the divide into into the NWT Makenzine mts.
I hunted once with locals out of Dease lake BC, and twice with Ceaser Lake outfitters out of Watson lake YT. Ceaser Lake's horses are the best I've ever seen or heard of, truly amazing well trained animals. Made the hunt for me.
I've posted this pic before. Wonderful country!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Woodland Caribou Hunt Info - 11/23/16
Very nice, thats what Im after. I'll shoot you a PM.
Posted By: Buzzie Re: Woodland Caribou Hunt Info - 11/23/16
Here's my Newfoundland Woodland Caribou.

[Linked Image]
Nice Boo
© 24hourcampfire