Home
Posted By: Kodiakisland So Cal pig hunting - 12/31/16
Does anyone have info on pig hunting in So Cal? My son is stationed at Pendleton and is looking for a place to do some hunting on the weekends. He is an E-3, so he's not looking to spend a lot of money, but can afford small access fees. Any public land hunting in the area?
Posted By: coyote268 Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/01/17
Not a lot of pigs in Southern CA. Might look into King city Paso Robles area.
Posted By: sidepass Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/01/17
Check out Fort Hunter Liggett and Camp Robberts both Central Coast. Tejon Ranch offerts pig hunting but at a price.
Posted By: jmgraham1986 Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/01/17
I've got buddies at Vandenburg that apply for hunts on Ft Hunter Liggett that are for military only. He may want to consider looking into those in the future.
Posted By: tdbob Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/03/17
There used to be feral hogs in San Diego until the county came in using trappers and the numbers dried up. He can hunt deer and quail on Camp Pendleton. Otherwise he ought to go to Vandenberg, Hunter-Ligget or Camp Roberts (if they still have hunting) would be his cheapest and best bet since he's active military.
Posted By: kingston Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/03/17
I've got a buddy who does lots of hoggin' in So. Cal. It almost always involves lots of booze and a hot tub. He's one sick bastid.
Posted By: ShooterScott Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/03/17
I'm not so sure there are a lot of hogs out there, at least not in great hunting areas.
Posted By: rifletom Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/03/17
Fort Hunter-Ligget might be a good call.
Posted By: BigNate Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/03/17
There's always a lot of hogs hangin' around the EM club on base from what I remember. Never was to appealing to me.

Oh yeah, Hunter Ligget is probably his best bet. Most everyone with land is charging stupid money.
Posted By: specneeds Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/04/17
Tejon has pigs but their prices are out of sight. Public land way south near Otay and East near Santa Ysabel with long walks to hunt steep canyons and concentrate on shaded water has been the best bet for friends of friends who have had success. With all of the recent rain that may be more challenging but should help with more feed.

Farther North in the state offers a better chance of success.
Posted By: old_willys Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/05/17
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
I've got buddies at Vandenburg that apply for hunts on Ft Hunter Liggett that are for military only. He may want to consider looking into those in the future.

I use FT Hunter Liggett because it is open to the public but gets very busy.

Since Vandenberg is Military only I hear it is better.
Posted By: BMT Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/05/17
Public land hogs in CA is hard work but can be one

I pay to play now
Posted By: Leonten Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/18/17
I assume your son is from out of state. In California Monterey county is the number one pig producer. Here's a link that your son needs to read he has to familiarize himself with the California laws. And the California condor zone. It's a big zone and requires 100% lead free bullets.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=121565

Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: So Cal pig hunting - 01/21/17
Originally Posted by coyote268
Not a lot of pigs in Southern CA. Might look into King city Paso Robles area.

This.
Northern Santa Barbara County to Monterey/San Benito County is your best bet.
Posted By: hanco Re: So Cal pig hunting - 02/17/17
We can send you some
© 24hourcampfire