Home
Need your pick for big midwest white tail and another pick for Elk. 6.5x55, most likely in front of the reloader powders, have all these on hand and see some easy picks, jsut curious as to the consensus here:

120gr TSX
129gr SST
120gr Sierra Prohunter
140gr VLD
130gr Barnes Original
160gr Hornady RN
140gr Interlock
156gr Oryx
129gr SP Interlock
140 interlock for both.

the 156 oryx is what im shooting in my swede right now.

worked on this year's buck
Not listed:
Either partition 125-140
TTSX 120+
E-Tip
Of those listed I'll say, 120TSX or 140 Interlock for deer and elk.
Originally Posted by colodog

Those out of those listed, I would also add 140 partition or AB.
I do have some 130gr Accubonds loaded up.

Looks like the Interlock has a solid foot hold.

Thanks for the alternative not listed bullets, Im not opposed to buying more/different bullets if there are better options out there.
In my 6.5-06 I'm happy with 123 Amax for practice and coues deer and 127LRX for elk.
140 vld for both.
I do have 160 Woodleighs shooting very well but keep going back to the 140 vld.
+1 on the 140 gr Nosler Partition
The last two on your list are the ones I would try first.
Of those, the 140 VLD for both and it's not even close.
140 Interlock for both.
Originally Posted by 30338

If you were satisfied with the 140, why try the 160's?
Of those listed I'd say the 140 interlock for both would be hard to beat at normal hunting ranges. The 129 interlock is a great whitetail bullet too.

If you plan on shooting longer ranges the 140 VLD would get the nod.
Originally Posted by warpig602

If a guy is loony enough to build a 6.5-06, you have to expect a little experimentation. Bear, big whitetails, pronghorns and mountain goats all died fast with great results using the VLDs. So a box full of sub .5 moa 160 Woodleighs reata on the shelf. Maybe shoot a grizzly with them someday.

If a guy is loony enough to build a 6.5-06, you have to expect a little experimentation. Bear, big whitetails, pronghorns and mountain goats all died fast with great results using the VLDs. So a box full of sub .5 moa 160 Woodleighs reata on the shelf. Maybe shoot a grizzly with them someday.

Indeed. I guess I hadnt given them much thought as I doubt I could push them fast enough out of the Swede.

Which brings up another consideration, would anyone change their pick based on the velocity? As in , would you still choose the VLD if it were traveling slower. I know some guys would choose differnt bullet construction depending on the speed at which it impacts.
140 VLD. Only one you need.
140 Hdy for everything. Two really aren't needed.
If you really want two different loads I'd say:

White-tail: 129g Hornady SP
Elk: 120g TSX/TTSX

If you just want one I'd try the 120g TTSX, 140g Partition, or 140g Hornady SP (in that order).
I am happy w/140gr. Interlok's in my Swede....

and 140gr. Partition's
Thanks again for the replies, I guess you cant really go too big as far as weight in the 6.5. I wasnt sure if the 120-130 class bullets would be better suited given they can achieve higher velocities.
127 LRX
Elk? What's being used by the Scandinavians for Moose?
Originally Posted by Rug3

30-06 grin
the 140 interlock and the swede's speed are a perfect match.

30-06 grin

That's true! I do believe that the Ought Six is one of the more popular calibers in Scandinavia. Maybe not as common as the 6.5 Swede, but still very common.
Yeah, I recall reading somewhere the 06 has or had unseated the x55 as the preferred caliber.
Originally Posted by starsky

You young fellas are going to talk me into giving those new fangled 140gr VLDs a shot. laugh

Do you think that bullet will kill an elk?

[Linked Image]
When the last of the equipment arrives, I am going to try the 127gr Barnes LRX. I plan to use it on anything.
Originally Posted by colodog

Either of these would do fine. Along with your 129 Interlock.

I was testing Leverevolution Plus P loads and the 129 gr interlock in a Grendel Bolt with a 24" 9 twist barrel up against 125 GR partition ,123 gr SST & 100 gr TTSX.

By my standards the 129 gr SP Interlock and the 100 gr TTSX were clear winners for me.

My goal was a intact well mushroomed bullet & top penetration at impact velocities from 2000FPS to 2800FPS
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by starsky

You young fellas are going to talk me into giving those new fangled 140gr VLDs a shot. laugh

Do you think that bullet will kill an elk?

[Linked Image]

Dang! Those antlers have some mass!
Originally Posted by AB2506
When the last of the equipment arrives, I am going to try the 127gr Barnes LRX. I plan to use it on anything.

You'll like the 127...

[Linked Image]
140 Interlock, Partition, VLD. Whatever shoots best.

Of course, my .260 only likes 140's of the weights I've tried (120's, 140s, 160s of various flavors). Makes choosing a bullet weight simple! smile

The factory Corelokts have taken a half dozen caribou, an elk, and a wolf. I have no doubt it will do as well on a moose, given the chance.

The 140 will do anything you are asking, and you won't have to mess with different loads/sight-ins, trajectories, etc.

KISS
I really like the 120 TTSX out of my 6.5 x 55. I've taken elk from 6 yards to 400 and lots in between. Performance has been great while avoiding excessive meat damage if a shoulder happens to be hit. I've also harvested elk, deer, wolves, and antelope with several other bullets you have listed and some you have not. I'm sure the Barnes isn't "necessary" but it flat works in every situation I put it in without excessive damage. Surprisingly the TTSX was also the most accurate of all I tried in the Swede but not so in other 6.5s I own.
Elk. 156gr Oryx
Deer (not on your list) 125 Gr Nosler Partition
The 140 Partition would be great for both.

You ought to be looking into the Hornady 143 and 147 ELD.
If your gun will stabilize them, I'd go with the Woodleigh 160gr. protected point (#80A) for elk.

For deer I'd go with the 125gr. Partition.
It's not on your list, but I'll throw a vote for the 139 Scenar.
I'll take the 140 VLD or maybe think about the 130 VLD for a tad more speed.
Either the 130 grain AB or 140 grain Partition will work fine for deer and elk at 6.5x55 speeds.
For the speeds you'll be running the interlock would be my first choice that would do well and not break the bank.
Of those listed, use the 140 Intlk for both. I've used the 130 NAB and H4831 successfully.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
It's not on your list, but I'll throw a vote for the 139 Scenar.

Have some inbound. Was sold after looking a the Scenar thread.
Well, Just got back from a weekend hunt. Took the rounds I had loaded at the time. 130gr NAB. 4 Deer down. All DRT. Not one step.

Still going to explore the Interlock and Scenar. Most definitely want to settle on one load/bullet for both.
Hard to beat an Accubond... I haven't too much reason to go for much else most of the time.
Just my 2 cents but from your list.

120gr TSX - yes both
129gr SST - No way
120gr Sierra Prohunter - Deer maybe
140gr VLD - Not a fan would use for deer only. I'm using the 130 for deer currently.
130gr Barnes Original - Yes and a top choice
160gr Hornady RN - Erratic reputation
140gr Interlock - Great all a rounder
156gr Oryx - Havn't shot these but a top choice if shots are not super long range
129gr SP Interlock - This is what I am using for deer and see no reason to switch. Would not bounce off an Elk either.

Try some R26 you'll like it.
Need your pick for big midwest white tail and another pick for Elk. 6.5x55, most likely in front of the reloader powders, have all these on hand and see some easy picks, jsut curious as to the consensus here:

120gr TSX
129gr SST
120gr Sierra Prohunter
140gr VLD
130gr Barnes Original
160gr Hornady RN
140gr Interlock
156gr Oryx
129gr SP Interlock

140 vld or 123 amax (not listed)for deer and the 156 oryx for elk. All very good bullets
I really like the 129 Interlock in my .260. It smucks deer. I don't know about elk, as I have a 7 mag for that.
From the ones on your list ... 156 Oryx
I use 120 TTSX's in the Creed. 140 ballistic tips in my 264's and my 26 Nosler.
Deer aren't hard to kill and any of those would do the job.

If I were in your shoes I'd check to see how my rifle likes the elk bullets there and use its selection on both.

140 Interlock seems like a good place to start, although a 129 can't be bad either.
Originally Posted by efw
Deer aren't hard to kill and any of those would do the job.

If I were in your shoes I'd check to see how my rifle likes the elk bullets there and use its selection on both.

140 Interlock seems like a good place to start, although a 129 can't be bad either.

Basically the conclusion I came to.

Have 3 selections headed my way. Will likely go with what proves to be the most accurate or cost effective if accuracy results are similar.

139 Scenar
127 LRX
140 Interlock
Or the easy choice guaranteed to work on both deer and elk with no problems:

140 Partition

Life is easy, don't make it hard on yourself.
In my experience the 129 Hornady will lay them both down with ease. If I needed 2 id go for the Oryx

But the 156 Vulkan and 160 Hornady are worthy with a tad more pinache.

Joseph
120TTSX
120Ballistic tip
The 140 partition is the best of the best. Fast or slow, it works. I'm surprised they haven't put a plastic tip on them
Originally Posted by Tejano

129gr SP Interlock - This is what I am using for deer and see no reason to switch. Would not bounce off an Elk either.

We used this bullet in an Hornady American Whitetail 6.5 Creedmoor load on a small bull moose. Into the ribs behind the shoulder at less than a 100 yds. No it. Bull only ran about 50yds before keeling over. Needed a finishing shot.

120gr TSX
129gr SST
120gr Sierra Prohunter
140gr VLD
130gr Barnes Original
160gr Hornady RN
140gr Interlock
156gr Oryx
129gr SP Interlock

140 interlock or 140 accubond even better
I've shot some big Nebraska whitetail with my 260 using different bullets. all worked well, quick kills, but I've been most impressed w 129 Interlocks for combined accuracy and performance. nevertheless just loaded 120 grain Swift A-frames for next fall seeking deeper penetration on raking angles. Initial accuracy at range seems very good. worth considering since elk are on the list
123 grain Scenar.

156 Norma Oryx or Alaska until the EU goes lead free.
30-06 is now the most popular cartridge for Moose/Elg hunting.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/1521544/page/1#Post1521544

140 partition all the way, tough enough for elk, perfect for deer... you could use less bullet for deer, but you do not want to risk the "softer" bullets on elk.. partition, a-frame, interlock
My cousins in Sweden only use the 6.5x55. Not sure of their ammo or bullet weights. They keep trying to get me over there, maybe some day!
War pig check out the bullet reviews on Midway USA some good info there.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob
I would use thr 120 tsx on deer. If i had to choose for elk the 140 gr interlock.

Last year I took a 1000lb bull with a 130 gr accubond at 400 yards. He took about 10 steps and dropped. I was very impressed with the performance of the accubond.

Tagged
Interesting thread. And I am gonna listen to most of you. I just got a 6.5x55 Swede Mauser 98. Haven't shot it yet. Working like a dog and its 118 degrees outside. Now laugh a me if you want, but, I'm even gonna load up some of those very very heavy round nose bullets for [bleep] and giggles just to see what my new cartridge can do. Will hunt with most likely the 140 Partitions.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
123 grain Scenar.

+1
Originally Posted by Zengela
Now laugh a me if you want, but, I'm even gonna load up some of those very very heavy round nose bullets for [bleep] and giggles just to see what my new cartridge can do.

I won't laugh. I still don't know that I've found a more consistently accurate bullet out of my CZ 550 6.5x55 than the old Sierra 160g SMP. When I was new to handloading it was the first bullet that went sub-MOA for 5 shots at 100 yards. The last time I tested it, was with a new lot of Reloder 22 in a mini-Audette ladder. It put 10 shots all with different powder charges into just over 1 MOA (something like 1.095").
I'm sure you already know ...Shoot the most accurate bullet,or the one your most confident with.My personal favorite of the list U have is the 140gr interloc for both said animals...ScottyO. P.S. the 140gr NPT or NAB.Is never a bad choice...
139 Scenar
120 TTSX
Just got a T3 SL Swede for a do all carry anywhere walkabout rifle. Had great results in the past on smallish 100-150lb Texas WTails w/ Sierra 120's with a T3 Hunter Grade Swede but this thread is great info to chew on. Am thinking of eliminating all the 6.5 bullets on the bench except for the 120 to 130's until I start seeing bullet failures on game and the let new Swede tell me what it likes...just like the 1st Swede did in SPH 120's reliable sub MOA's using the Sierra Book Load for accuracy in 47+ gr's of RL19. This'll be a nice test on the larger hogs too, since there are no Elk available down here in East & Central Texas
Ron
Originally Posted by Northman
139 Scenar
120 TTSX

Finally a mention of the 139 Scenar, Pat's favorite. Check out Scenarshooter's photo album of dead critters.

My Swede likes the 139 Scenar better than all others, so it depends on which one(s) the gun likes.

I like to run the 120 TTSX really fast, as in a 26 Nosler, my favorite and most accurate bullet for that gun..

DF
No mention of the Nosler 120 grain BT. These work remarkably well out of my 260AI Remington 700 mountain rifle with a 22" bbl. I have loaded these for many years along with some Berger 130VLD. Both work very well, as long as I do my part. Have taken many, many WT, Mulies, a red Lechwe, Blesbok, impala, Pronghorn, feral hogs and the list hopes on. BTW, bullet placement, regardless of caliber and/or bullet weight takes precidents over personal choice. Lung shot, can't breath...can't go! Shoulder shot, can't walk/run far! Heart shot...well you know the outcome. Anyway, try different bullets, loads, seating depth to see what your 260 prefers. Mine loved the 6.5, 120 BT. Have not had a complaint about not being dead enough. MTG
Originally Posted by MTGunner
No mention of the Nosler 120 grain BT. These work remarkably well out of my 260AI Remington 700 mountain rifle with a 22" bbl. I have loaded these for many years along with some Berger 130VLD. Both work very well, as long as I do my part. Have taken many, many WT, Mulies, a red Lechwe, Blesbok, impala, Pronghorn, feral hogs and the list hopes on. BTW, bullet placement, regardless of caliber and/or bullet weight takes precidents over personal choice. Lung shot, can't breath...can't go! Shoulder shot, can't walk/run far! Heart shot...well you know the outcome. Anyway, try different bullets, loads, seating depth to see what your 260 prefers. Mine loved the 6.5, 120 BT. Have not had a complaint about not being dead enough. MTG

The 7mm 120 NBT is noted to be a tough bullet, tougher than the average Ballistic Tip.

What about the 6.5mm 120 gr NBT? BT's vary in toughness, where does this one fall?

DF
DF, as far as toughness I will state that most shots with the hand loaded 120BT were complete pass through. I shot a red Lechwe, approx. weight at 300 pounds, in the chest, and the 120BT passed completely through the body stem to stern. I shot him in the chest and the bullet exited just above his anus. On deer, chest shots, straight through. I have great confidence in this bullet, albeit I believe it might not be adequate for elk, moose or large animals of this. For sure not adequate for dangerous game animals! MTG
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

The 7mm 120 NBT is noted to be a tough bullet, tougher than the average Ballistic Tip.

What about the 6.5mm 120 gr NBT? BT's vary in toughness, where does this one fall?

DF

I must have got the two odd men out from the 7mm 120 BTs. I had them going 3200 out of my .284 Win. I shot a WT buck at ~35 yards through the heart and a muly doe at 281 yards in the shoulder. The buck acted like he wasn't hit and kept walking but did die within 30 yards. The lead separated from the jacket and we found the jacket in the offside shoulder next to the skin. The doe was broadside at the shot, but the bullet did not break the bone. It deflected up the neck and out the offside of her head. It made me leary of using them again, but they were extremely accurate.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

DF

I must have got the two odd men out from the 7mm 120 BTs. I had them going 3200 out of my .284 Win. I shot a WT buck at ~35 yards through the heart and a muly doe at 281 yards in the shoulder. The buck acted like he wasn't hit and kept walking but did die within 30 yards. The lead separated from the jacket and we found the jacket in the offside shoulder next to the skin. The doe was broadside at the shot, but the bullet did not break the bone. It deflected up the neck and out the offside of her head. It made me leary of using them again, but they were extremely accurate.

I don't plan on running 7mm 120's much over 3K, probably around that speed.

3,200 fps may have been a tad fast, just guessing.

In the 7mm-08, they seem to work well, lots of good reports here and elsewhere.

Ballistic Tips aren't the same, caliber to caliber, weight to weight (even in the same caliber) and for sure, not year to year, decade to decade. So, dealing with NBT's you gotta know the bullet, thus my question about the 120 gr. 6.5mm version. I can't assume it'll work exactly like the 7mm 120, it probably won't.

DF
DF Gun lore gack has it the 120 7mm was designed for silhouette shooters to better knock over rams at 500 meters. It is supposedly the same jacket as the 140 but shortened down to 120 length where it starts getting thicker. The 120 6.5 is the typical hunting BT but no special mojo. Works great at 6.5x55 velocities no idea if they would hold up to 26 Nosler velocities. My guess is if bone is hit you will get fragmentation at least partially but fun to try and see on a non critical hunt. I had some of the early solid base bullets come unglued but they still exited because of the heavy base on the jackets. Some of these had relatively thin almost un-tapered jackets on the forward section.
Not a fan of Interloks at all. I would recommend the 130 Nosler AB
At those velocities, you cannot go wrong with the Interlocks. I have shot them in several calibers for many years. The price is reasonable, they are extremely accurate and I have not one time been disappointed on performance with them on everything from coyotes to elk. For deer, I use the 129 in my .260 and love it. For all-around, I would have to go with the 140. I am also a fan of the Accubond, or Partition, as they also perform well at moderate velocities.
Originally Posted by Tejano
DF Gun lore gack has it the 120 7mm was designed for silhouette shooters to better knock over rams at 500 meters. It is supposedly the same jacket as the 140 but shortened down to 120 length where it starts getting thicker. The 120 6.5 is the typical hunting BT but no special mojo. Works great at 6.5x55 velocities no idea if they would hold up to 26 Nosler velocities. My guess is if bone is hit you will get fragmentation at least partially but fun to try and see on a non critical hunt. I had some of the early solid base bullets come unglued but they still exited because of the heavy base on the jackets. Some of these had relatively thin almost un-tapered jackets on the forward section.

Thanks for that info.

The 26 Nos is another deal, another world regarding bullets and their design paramaters.

I worked up VLD and Scenar loads for my Nos, abandoned both. I think that round demands tougher bullets than the Creed or Swede, even the 6.5-284.

Matching velocity to bullet design is an art, IMO.

A great bullet in one setting may be a train wreck in another.

I'm now working with 143 and 147 ELD loads for the Swede, Creed and 6.5-284, not the Nosler.

Working with RL-16, RL-23 and RL-26.

Lots of options, lots of variables. Gotta be some nice loads somewhere in that mix.

DF
Go rogue with 140 gr Accubond for everything
Originally Posted by Orchemo
Go rogue with 140 gr Accubond for everything

Way too logical...

But, no arguement from me.

DF
140 grain nosler partition for both.
Originally Posted by Slidellkid

Why not?
Originally Posted by Slidellkid

Au contrair mon frere The Interlok is my favorite cup and core bullet period. They just seem to always work and I have never been let down by them. I am even going out of my way to disprove my loyalty by trying the 6.5 160s which have a mixed reputation.

[quote=Tejano]DF
The 26 Nos is another deal, another world regarding bullets and their design paramaters.

The 26 Nosler is solidly in monolithic territory or at least a premium like the TBBC or Sirocco.

Please let us know how the R26 doe's in the Swede I am really a convert for it now and it seems to overlap my previous loads ranging from R19 to R25 so I can cut down on the number of powders I'm using and usually with equal or higher velocities.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
140 grain nosler partition for both.

Yup. Life is easy, people make it hard.
Originally Posted by MikeS
In my 6.5-06 I'm happy with 123 Amax for practice and coues deer and 127LRX for elk.

This
© 24hourcampfire