Home
Posted By: captdavid Bucket list? - 02/13/17
I'm sure everyone has a bucket list. This is for big game hunting only. I suppose you might add just one deer hunt, if you must. Also let us keep it to things that we have some hope of doing. I know everyone here wants a 500B&C elk, but that's not what I'm asking. I want a doable list. Let's also keep it to 5 or less. Also let's leave out good health etc.
Based on affordability, mine are;
1. A pig hunt in the Caprock and one in the Palo Duro part of Texas
2. A decent pig lease close to home
The following are doable, probably not financially so
3. A decent red stag, free ranging or large high fenced
4. An eland cow, large high fenced
Captdavid
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Bucket list? - 02/13/17
1. A good elk hunt

2. A good moose hunt

3. A Chamois hunt.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Bucket list? - 02/13/17
I want one more Moose. Other than that I want a Mule deer. And a Blacktail.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Bucket list? - 02/13/17
1. Mule Deer Buck
2. Bull Elk
3. Speed Goat
4. Some sort of a big ass goat with big ass horns.
5. Caribou
6. Moose
Posted By: country_20boy Re: Bucket list? - 02/13/17
I could make a list a mile long, but if we are limiting to what is financially feasible, here is a list in order of likely to happen:

1. A bull elk (any size), preferably with a bow. (I will do this one in the next few years)
2. Turkey Grand Slam. (won't cost much really, just need time)
3. Moose (probably out of reach)
4. A really big bull elk. (my assumption is this will be done with an outfitter or limited draw, so it will take a lot more $$$ and time)
5. African plains game hunt

I was fortunate enough to go on an Argentina dove hunt last year, which set me back on the elk hunt a couple of years, but it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up and it was an awesome trip with good friends.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Bucket list? - 02/13/17
1. Cape buffalo
2. Mountain goat
3. Elk

Hoping to get the buffalo and elk done in the next few years.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Bucket list? - 02/13/17
1. A good bear hunt
2. A good moose hunt
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: Bucket list? - 02/13/17
Alaska-Yukon moose.
Caribou.
Sitka blacktail.
A chocolate phase black bear (already have a couple of blacks and a platinum blonde).
A B&C antelope.

The chocolate bear is the most likely to happen as I am accumulating bear points for Utah and have a buddy who has hounds.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Bucket list? - 02/13/17
1) Mountain Goat
2) Mountain Goat
3) Canadian whitetail
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
1) A deer hunt with my son where he notches his first tag.
2) Several successful "Campfire Invitational" hunts. You guys are good people, and I'd like to hunt with many of you.
3) An old fashioned, 2 week deer hunt from our camp in Pa. Would be nice to relive the days of yore when deer camp was two weeks, everybody showed up, and great times were had.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
A quaint Euro hunt ( reh, hirsch,) with a flint Jäger rifle while bunking with a young Bavarian bier mädchen in a nice old hunting lodge.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
Stay above ground long enough to put a few more elk in the freezer.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
Not so much hunt what, as with.

I'd like to hunt a new to me and still new 50 year old Salvinelli o/u .410 for upland game. It was born about when I was and I'd really like to get to know the little .410. I can't believe it took me this long to acquire a beautiful little .410 double.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After 20 years of wanting one, I was finally able to accumulate the parts to get a Savage 99 rotary magazine 22-250 assembled. Savage made removable magazine 22-250's and I've owned a few, but they lacked the classic rotary mag. Coyotes or deer.

[Linked Image]

One of my last dreams is to rebarrel a 99C to a .284 wildcat. i have the parts but need to decide between 6.5-284 and 338/358/375-284.

Posted By: memtb Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
captdavid, Dreamed of Africa, but with lack of money and political unrest.... probably aint gonna happen! And most important... an Alaskan do it yourself for moose, caribou, and or black bear. But, with getting older, a do it yourselfer is getting more difficult! memtb
Posted By: shootsacreed Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
Alligator and wild hog/boar. It would be exceptional if the boar hunting happened in Europe preferably in Germany. More than likely it will happen in Texas or some other southern state.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
a Color Phase Bear, a Michigan Elk, and to make a Campfire Hog Hunt one day!
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
I will have to think about this!!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
This is tough at my age (66) and I'm not in the best health. All of mine will take a good guide/outfitter. Knee surgery next Monday hopefully #1 will be 2018.

1. Spiral horn hunt Africa
a. Eland
b. Kudu (another one)
c. Nyala
d. Bushbuck
2. Descent Bull Elk
3. Nice Mule deer buck
4. Heavy Canadian Whitetail
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
1. A nice mule deer hunt
2. Canoe based big game hunt where I use the canoe to get said animal out.
3. Take a ruffed grouse on the wing gracefully, no flailing away.
4. Kill a deer with my recurve
5. Kudu
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
With nothing left for me realistically in the lower 48 at least one more trip to South Africa and a couple trips to Alaska

But I've never had a "list"
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
Like Rock Chuck I just want to stay on this side of the sod to hunt a few more years.

I really don't care what I hunt, I just want to enjoy it a while longer...
Posted By: klondike_mike Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
A quaint Euro hunt ( reh, hirsch,) with a flint Jäger rifle while bunking with a young Bavarian bier mädchen in a nice old hunting lodge.

Now that's how a bucket list is done. My second choice would be a traditional American Bison hunt with a Sharps rifle or a lever action Winchester.
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Bucket list? - 02/14/17
I am hoping to draw a sheep permit here in AK at some point. Who knows, this might be the year. The results come out in a couple of days. We have brown bears crawling all over the hatchery here so I would have no problem bagging one of those if I ever felt like it. I really should be trying to harvest whatever big game animals I can as a resident up here, because I doubt I will ever be able to afford to do it if I ever move back down to the lower 48 (which I don't plan on but things happen sometimes). I definitely have plans to do another goat hunt with a buddy of mine, its a memorial hunt for a buddy that we both lost while goat hunting. If neither one of us draw this year we might end up doing that.
Posted By: hanco Re: Bucket list? - 02/15/17
Big buck with my bow while I can still pull it back.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Bucket list? - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by klondike_mike

Now that's how a bucket list is done. My second choice would be a traditional American Bison hunt with a Sharps rifle or a lever action Winchester.

Oh! Did I mention that Bier Mädchen can cook just like Oma????

wink
Posted By: JDK Re: Bucket list? - 02/16/17
Color phase spot and stalk bear hunt
Canadian white-tail
Antelope
Peccary/Javelina hunt

And most likely not financially feasible

Interior grizzly.

Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bucket list? - 02/16/17
To hunt the great bears of Alaska with Phil someday soon. smile
Posted By: 30338 Re: Bucket list? - 02/16/17
I was blessed to get all that bucket list stuff done. Now just drawing what I can and enjoying fall hunts. Do want to get out to Kansas, Nebraska, SD, and maybe WY on some upland hunts this fall.

Good luck to those who are still checking off boxes, lot of fun along the way.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Bucket list? - 02/16/17
You guys have some awful big buckets.....Me? All I got is a tin can. But I'd love to be able to afford a trip 'out west' to shoot a prairie dog some day......,
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Bucket list? - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You guys have some awful big buckets.....Me? All I got is a tin can. But I'd love to be able to afford a trip 'out west' to shoot a prairie dog some day......,

There might be one or two in your half of Colorado
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Bucket list? - 02/16/17

Says the man with probably 50 thousand bucks worth of Tack and Saddles. shocked

laugh
Posted By: klondike_mike Re: Bucket list? - 02/16/17
Originally Posted by klondike_mike

Oh! Did I mention that Bier Mädchen can cook just like Oma????

wink

Does her family own the local brewery too?
Posted By: klondike_mike Re: Bucket list? - 02/16/17

If I had that kind of money I'd be halfway to a hog hunt in Texas!
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Bucket list? - 02/16/17
Let's see

1 Grizzly---doing that in June.
2 Cape Buffalo or Aussie Water Buffalo
3 Caribou
4 a Good Whitetail
5 a Good Muley

I really want to catch a Marlin. I broke the 100 lb fish last summer with a halibut out of Homer AK.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bucket list? - 02/16/17
I was one of the lucky ones who got my bucket list filled early. If theres anything left at all it would be an interior grizzly, but I'm just not as anxious to suffer the discomforts and pay the moola for as I once was....

So I have declared peace with the Grizzly.... grin
© 24hourcampfire