Home
Posted By: Idaho1945 Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/17
Yesterday was the opener for our Idaho deer season & good friend Tank Hoover joined me for a handgun hunt in endless thousands of acres of prime hunting country in south east Idaho. Tank arrived a few days early so we could practice eating burrito's, fresh french fries, cinnamon rolls, huckleberry & strawberry cheesecake, homemade biscuits & gravy, fried chicken, fresh mashed potatoes, fried potatoes & great chicken fried steak!
Finally Tuesday arrived (opening day) and we headed out before daylight & 3 minutes into the hunt we spotted several deer with a nice buck in the bunch but the doe's spooked before we could get a shot so we kept going to another spot I had picked out for Jeff & we ended up seeing quite a few deer & a few more bucks but didn't get a shot because of being limited on distance with my old model flat top 44 magnum & Tank packing a Bisley 454 with heavy 45's snuggled inside.
We came back to town for lunch & went to work on El Toro's Burrito's again (wow) came home for a nap & headed back out for an evening hunt about 5pm. Tank went back to the same spot where he had seen several deer earlier & I decided to go to another spot but ended up with too much sun in my eyes so about 5:30 I decided to move across the grain field about 200 yds & get into the Quakies a little bit. It was the right decision because about 20 minutes later a deer came out of the trees about 250 yds from me & started feeding. At first I thought it was a doe because it blended in with the trees but as it fed towards me I could see it was a fork horn buck.
I had my 357 Maximum set up on the rear of my 4 wheeler in case I needed to take a long shot & needed to use a scope but as the buck got closer it looked like I would be able to use the iron sighted flat top. I eased the 44 out of my Barranti cross draw & slowly raised it up onto my leather covered rest. As the buck got closer he started to get a little bit goosy & I could tell he knew something wasn't right.
He was too close to range & was starting to move slightly to my right but still almost straight on. If he moved anymore to my right I was going to be in trouble because it would be hard to move the gun without him seeing me move. I guessed the range at 50 yds & made a little grunt to stop him. He faced me straight on but his body was just a bit to the right as I broke the shot. The 245 gr cast HP broke the right front shoulder & he whirled & ran about 30-35 yds & went down. I ranged to where he had been standing & it turned out to be 64 yds. The bullet had broken the right front shoulder & took out the right lung. I haven't skinned him yet to see what other damage was done but I'm very happy with the gun, the bullet & the results.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dick
Posted By: LEADMINER Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/17
Everything about that- buck, terrain, pics, story and Ruger is really cool! Thankis for posting.
Posted By: jds44 Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/17
Love it!
Posted By: Jess Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/17
Nice!
Great pictures and story.....love the Ruger "Classic" as well.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/11/17
Great report and congrats on the buck! Hope to do the same with my Blackhawk next month..
Posted By: RNF Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/17
Enjoyed your story and photos, congrats.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/17
Congratulations on your successful handgun hunt. Enjoyed the story and pictures. Bet that tinder young buck will taste good, too.

L.W.
Posted By: skeen Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/17
Nice! A 64 yard shot with iron sights on a pistol is quite a feat.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/17
Good work and that is some open country for pistol hunting. Bet that one will be tasty. What I call a skillet buck, one you can cut the meat with a fork.

Curious how much range do you gain with the 357 max.? I shoot a Bisley like your buddy but plain old 45 with loads Elmer Keith would approve of. My max is about 50 yards for a sure thing.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/17
Very nice! Any deer with a revolver is sweet.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/12/17
Great story and thanks for the pictures.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: Buck with the Flat Top - 10/13/17
tejano, my 357 Ruger maximum is scoped & I've taken several animals with that caliber, both scoped & with iron sights. My longest with iron sights was 94 yds & my longest with the scope was (I think about 211) Last month I took a muley doe in Utah at 90 yds with the scoped 357 Blackhawk & I also got a Utah antelope at 122 yds with it using 204 gr cast, powder coated bullets. I like the 180 cast bullets better but sold that mold & I'm waiting on another one. I've also taken 3 other deer with it at different distance. The 2 Utah animals I wrote up last month here on the forum. I think "Beehive Deer" & "Beehive Antelope" They might be located in the Handgun section, can't remember.

Dick
© 24hourcampfire