Home
Posted By: ltbball First black bear hunt - 01/04/18
I am looking to go on my first black bear hunt. It will be with my brother in law. I would appreciate any recommendations for a guide/camp. I am from northern Kentucky. I would prefer a US hunt but Canada would work. What would you guys recommend.
Posted By: martineta Re: First black bear bunt - 01/04/18
check out some of the guides in Eastern NC. Giant black bears and lots of them.
Posted By: horse1 Re: First black bear bunt - 01/04/18
Are you looking for Spot and Stalk? Stand over bait? Hounds? Rifle? ML? Bow?
Posted By: ltbball Re: First black bear bunt - 01/04/18
I am open. I would say rifle the first time out. I am a very experienced deer hunter with rifle and bow. There are not many black bear in Ky but we did have one show up at our farm in a bracken county. I have been researching eastern NC and Maine.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: First black bear bunt - 01/05/18
My buddies and I used Allagash Guide Service in Maine. Many years ago. Food and lodging was always great as well as the guiding. They hunt over bait and also use dogs.

I know the business was sold a year or two ago but it's still up and running. They're on FB and it appears from photos they posted that they took a lot of bears last season.

Dan
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: First black bear bunt - 01/05/18
Rather than looking to 'bunt' a black bear, go for a 'home run'...
Posted By: Ghostman Re: First black bear bunt - 01/05/18
Skip Maine if you're looking to take a big bear. The average kill size is 175 lbs. NC has big bear but most 4 day hunts run close to $3000. Any state or province in the East isn't going to have color phases either just black.

Top picks for BIG and color phase bear are Manitoba, Alberta & Sask in that order.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: First black bear bunt - 01/05/18
Have you thought about Vancouver Island,British Columbia?
Posted By: JDK Re: First black bear hunt - 01/05/18
If you are looking for a representative bear, Maine is probably as good as any. If you are looking for a "big" bear then NC is a better choice. If you want a bigger bear in Maine, do a hound hunt.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: First black bear hunt - 01/05/18
I would look west. Lots of color phase bears. Fact is a black one is hard to find. Plus if it's a baited hunt---the bugs aren't nearly as bad.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: First black bear hunt - 01/05/18
Can't you DIY in Alaska? Would save having to pay a guide/outfitter. Hunting S.E. Alaska in May should get you into prime time. If you get the timing right it's really easy to find bears in western Canada and Alaska.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: First black bear hunt - 01/06/18
Skip the tree stand over bait "hunt", unless you're a shoot fish in a barrel kind of guy, then I'm sorry for you. Get out there and spend time in bear habitat patterning a particular bear, what he eats, where he drinks, and where he rests. Hunt him where he lives on his terms with the respect he deserves. If you don't succeed you can still say you've hunted a bear, unlike the other style hunt. Best of luck to you.
Posted By: garyh9900 Re: First black bear hunt - 01/06/18
Ever thought about drive 2 hours or so to the Southeastern part of the state? Kentucky has pretty lax hunting regulations for black bear.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: First black bear hunt - 01/09/18
If you want big black bear try Carl Windle in Washington state or Cap't Clark Purvis out of Hobgood, N.C. Both kill some really bruins.

Another would be Bob Barlow out of Buffalo, Wyo. I've used all 3 and recommend all 3 without reservation.

Warning: This can become very addictive!
Posted By: hanco Re: First black bear hunt - 01/11/18
What caliber do you use for Black Bear??
Posted By: noKnees Re: First black bear hunt - 01/11/18
I have done a couple of spring hunts in New Brunswick Canada. Just over the border from Calais Maine. as long as you have a passport and no criminal record going to Canada isn't a big deal.

One the good side.
There pretty cheap, something around $1300-1500 all inclusive except for food.
Its a spring hunt so the hides are in prime condition. Many of bears in the fall have rubs and thin fur that makes for crappy rugs.
You will see lots of bear and I haven't been in camp where everyone didn't get a shot a bear.
In June the days are very long so you will sit on stand from 4-9:30pm, but you have the whole morning for other stuff. There is good fishing around and some sight seeing. Lots of guys bring their families.

The bad side,
Its a bait hunt so less adventuous and exiting than spot or stalk or hounds.
Like the Maine hunts, the bears aren't big. 175-200 is pretty typical.

I have heard some people say bear meat isn't good, but I suspect its based upon what the bears are eating and the spring bear meat I have had is excellent.

I can make a outfitter recommendation if you would like.
Posted By: GuyM Re: First black bear hunt - 01/11/18
Originally Posted by hanco

I've used both my good ol' 30-06 and my 375 H&H as well. Both killed decisively. The 375 was used simply because it's a cool Ruger Number One and I enjoy hunting with it. Not because it's necessary.

That said, the 260 gr Nosler Accubond does a terrific job...

I think pretty much any decent deer cartridge with a good bullet would work just fine. My 30-06 with a 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip killed a bear very quickly. My son has taken two or three with his 30-06 and the 165 gr Nosler Partition. We do mostly "spot and stalk" hunts here in Washington State.

My son, with one of his bears and the old (really old!) 30-06 of his:
[Linked Image]

Regards, Guy
Posted By: gerry35 Re: First black bear hunt - 01/11/18

We have used everything from the 260 Rem and 6.5x55 to 375 Ruger, you hit them well and they die pretty quick. The last 3 I have personally shot have been with the 270 Win 160 gr Partition's, I finished off a couple of bears hit by youth hunters with the 35 Whelen 200 gr TTSX. Those two hunters used the 303 British 180 gr Speer RN bullets but hit them on the edges of the vitals, the bullets left a good wound channel though and would have killed them quickly if in the lungs better
Posted By: domit Re: First black bear hunt - 01/12/18
my first bear took a 225 gr. nosler from a 350 rem, 9 yards. the second was a 165 gr. from 3006 at about 180 yards across bay. both in alaska . going to use my savage 99 in 3030 next time, really like using that old, ( made in 1910 ) gun. hit in vitals they go down pronto . D O M I T !
Posted By: colorado bob Re: First black bear hunt - 01/13/18

30/06 is never a bad choice. You can quote me on that. smile
Posted By: moosemike Re: First black bear hunt - 01/13/18

45-70
Posted By: landlord44 Re: First black bear hunt - 01/13/18
i will recommend a 12ga shotgun, place your shot at chest, lung, i wouldn't advice a head shot because if you miss several time and the bear gets close to you................... well you get the idea.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: First black bear hunt - 01/14/18

We have taken black bear stand hunting with a 6mm, .257 bee, .308 and a .350 mag.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: First black bear hunt - 01/14/18
This fella can drop you off where theres a lot of black bears for around 700.00 each

http://meekinsairservice.com/
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: First black bear hunt - 01/16/18
Originally Posted by watch4bear
This fella can drop you off where theres a lot of black bears for around 700.00 each

http://meekinsairservice.com/

Meekins is a very reliable flight service, among the best.
© 24hourcampfire