Home
I am taking my son on his first trip out west this fall. The plan is to hunt Montana’s youth deer season for his first Muley.

I am looking at stopping in Wyoming and trying to get him on an antelope on public or would be willing to pay a trespass fee to a private ranch for him to have a great experience. He is a skilled hunter and willing to work for the opportunity at a goat.

If anyone has a lead that would be great. Or if anyone has information they would share for him in the units from Gillette north to the line that would be a big help as well. Wyoming portion of his trip would be. Oct 11-14 so season will be about two weeks in and tough to find public land goats that have not be molested into private.

Thanks for any assistance offered
Interested in buck or doe antelope? Any points in WY?
He only has interest in a buck and no points.
Looking at unit 17 and 18 for diy public
Have you considered hunting both antelope and mule deer in Montana? Lots of great hunting opportunities in SE Montana for both species, the seasons overlap and access through the Block Management Program is really excellent. It’s kind of fun sitting on some big bluff at daybreak trying to decide whether to stalk the deer to the north or the antelope to the west.....
Originally Posted by Speedgoat3006
Have you considered hunting both antelope and mule deer in Montana? Lots of great hunting opportunities in SE Montana for both species, the seasons overlap and access through the Block Management Program is really excellent. It’s kind of fun sitting on some big bluff at daybreak trying to decide whether to stalk the deer to the north or the antelope to the west.....

Montana costs a small fortune.
17 and 18 are some of the very worst places you can go in Wyoming for a public ground hunt. In fact, I would have to say you could not pick anything worse.
Land owners up there are generally NOT going to allow any hunting expect for those that pay very high fees and only a few of them.

However 17 and 18 are only 3-4 hours away for very good areas if you are willing to drive that much more, and coming a long ways, I can't see why that it would be a big deal.

If you are not looking for a buck I can put you in touch with a few land owners who WANT you to come shoot a few antelope off their crops. The Game and Fish dept doesn't give buck tags for those hunts but you can kill a few does on that land. And that is in addition to the buck tag you can get and kill a nice buck only 1 hour away from the private land.
PM me and I'll help you out.

18 and 17 are terrible for access.

I suggest taking up the offer from szihn, antelope meat is great (no matter what people tell you).

I gladly shoot a doe a year, with a buck. But have in the past only had a doe tag.
I’d look at 26.
Area 1 has some good areas, but it's not 100% with no points anymore. I believe it was 86% draw with 0 points last year
Originally Posted by chesterwy
I’d look at 26.

I'm going with 9 this year.
Originally Posted by moosemike
I’d look at 26.

My antelope from 9 just arrived today

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
16 is easy to get tags, but a total mess the first week and some the second week, less crowded but the lopes haven't relaxed.

Second half of October is better in 16, but I think that's doe only (only had doe tags this year so not 100% sure)

easy to get tag + access = crowded mess
Dan that’s a beautiful buck love the mount nice work!

IMHO pronghorn is most beautiful animal in NA.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Originally Posted by moosemike
I’d look at 26.

My antelope from 9 just arrived today

Very nice!
PM sent to you on this one

Thanks,

PigGuy