Home
Posted By: Ebby I leave on Tuesday for Zim - 07/24/10
Been practicing a lot. Thanks for all the help guys. Its been fun. Headed primarily after Buff but possibly lion and Ele with Charlton McCallum Safaris. I've finally settled on a load for solids and softs.

Shooting the 300gr Swift A frame at 2600 fps with RL 17 and the 300 gr Banded Solid from Barnes. Here are a few pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hopefully I'll have some pics to show off when I get back. THanks again for everybody's help. I'll keep you informed. Wish me luck!
Lee
Posted By: jorgeI Re: I leave on Tuesday for Zim - 07/24/10
Wow, that's quite a hunt you've got planned! How many days? good luck! You hunting Dande North? jorge
Looks like you're set. Have a great trip and look forward to your pictures upon your return.
Posted By: ODay450 Re: I leave on Tuesday for Zim - 07/24/10
Have a marvelous trip. What area are you hunting and who will be your PH?

CM is a great group and all including the office staff are fine folks. I know you will have a great experience.
Posted By: Ebby Re: I leave on Tuesday for Zim - 07/25/10
We are hunting Dande North from my understanding. They have gone back and forth a little on this and we may be moving around some. I will be hunting with Myles. There are 4 of us going. Should be a blast. I have hunted Africa once before but it was a Plains Game bowhunt. Amazing trip but I'm looking forward to the Gun hunt and the Dangerous Game! Just got to see what my budget will allow as far as Ele and Lion and also check out what opportunities are available.

Question for you guys that have hunted that area before, are there any plains game to speak of? I really am not that interested unless its something that I don't have and a good representation of the area. I may be able to get a Sable but other than that, what should I be on the lookout for? Thanks again guys.
Lee
Posted By: jorgeI Re: I leave on Tuesday for Zim - 07/25/10
PG are there, but just not that abundant. If you see a shootable sable and it;s on license, by GOD take it! Loved Dande North. We stayed at Mururu camp. Lovely place.
You have that gun shooting!!! Likes RL-17 obviously. grin
Posted By: Ebby Re: I leave on Tuesday for Zim - 07/25/10
RL 17 was easy to load for in this gun. I had no pressure signs up to 80gr and go to 2700fps relatively easy. I was working in MS heat with indexes 105-110F during some days. I had pressure signs on the hotter days with RL15, H4350, and 414. I didn't get these with RL17 but it got me to thinking that I did not need to be pushing any envelopes with a DG gun! I finally decided that I did not need 2700 for anything and really didn't even need 2600. I backed off to a milder load that I feel more certain will function perfectly no matter the conditions. The 2600 fps load is very accurate as you can see and I feel good with it out to 300 yds. I'm getting very excited.
Lee
Having a similar POI with the 300 gr SAF and Barnes Solid is a definite plus! Good luck!

Posted By: doclee Re: I leave on Tuesday for Zim - 07/27/10
Ebby,
Good luck on your safari. I met Myles and Buzz at the Dallas Convention this year. Very personable. You should have a great hunt!
Posted By: maddog Re: I leave on Tuesday for Zim - 07/27/10
Have a great hunt, and when ya get back, post lotsa pics!

maddog
© 24hourcampfire