Home
Posted By: maddog Good sling for safari rifle? - 01/13/11
Boys, am thinking about getting a new sling for my ruger no. 1, for my trip next summer. I'm more about function and comfort, rather than looks. I want to use the sling for long carries, and remove it when going in for the shot. I've used Butler Creek slings, in the past and may do so again. Biggest thing is a sling that's not constantly trying to slip off my shoulder. Any and all ideas considered.

maddog
maddog,

I like the Safari Ching Sling. I've used one on my last two safaris.

Mike
Might take a look at Scenarshooter's Montana Sling.

http://montanagunslings.com/

bring a rifle with a sling or without. man the f@ck up and shoot. this is not Milan. dammit i thought the American hunters were real frontiersman. just imagine asking a local hunter this question!!! you are cumming to Africa, be a man for once. you are going to hunt the best animals in the world what has a sling to do with it? why not buy one that fits your shoes?

sorry for ranting, but i am sick and tired of foreign hunters cumming here and not GET AFRICA!!!! a sling!!! for heaven's sake??
Originally Posted by LT_DAN
bring a rifle with a sling or without. man the f@ck up and shoot. this is not Milan. dammit i thought the American hunters were real frontiersman. just imagine asking a local hunter this question!!! you are cumming to Africa, be a man for once. you are going to hunt the best animals in the world what has a sling to do with it? why not buy one that fits your shoes?

sorry for ranting, but i am sick and tired of foreign hunters cumming here and not GET AFRICA!!!! a sling!!! for heaven's sake??

WOW.

Sheesh bud, might want to back the coffee off a cup or six!

Seemed like a fairly innocent inquiry......
I second the Montana Sling, made by hand, in Glasgow, Montana.
http://montanagunslings.com/

Easy to keep out of the way, simple in function, and my PH loved it. I left one with him.

Enjoy Africa!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by carbon12

WOW.

No $hit WOW!!

Mike
Posted By: rifle Re: Good sling for safari rifle? - 01/13/11
Both PH's I've hunted with did NOT allow them on the guns while hunting...After a day in Zim,I found out why,every bush has got thorns and grabs anything loose.....I did take it off and dropped it into my brush pocket. Worked well....
I've used and really like the Trader Rifle Strap from Trader Keiths at http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html. It's primarily a Canvas sling with leather on the ends and has a rubber material woven into the back side of the canvas to prevent it slipping on your shoulder. Lightweight and relatively wide to distribute the weight. Not gaudy either. Boddington uses one quite often in Africa.

take a pill and go to bed! Jesus H Christ, I asked a question, and ya went ballistic! If that's all ya got to offer, blow it out yer azz!

maddog
Originally Posted by maddog
Boys, am thinking about getting a new sling for my ruger no. 1, for my trip next summer. I'm more about function and comfort, rather than looks. I want to use the sling for long carries, and remove it when going in for the shot. I've used Butler Creek slings, in the past and may do so again. Biggest thing is a sling that's not constantly trying to slip off my shoulder. Any and all ideas considered.
maddog

Aside from the fact that most African hunters don't use slings, one of my pet peeves is a hunter who has to do anything other than shoot when it's time to shoot. That would include taking the time to remove a sling.

Nothing personal intended.
toltecgriz, I know what you are saying, but depending on what you are hunting, you do a lot of walking, before you shoot. I intend to carry my own gun,and I don't want some boy carrying my gun. I've done enough hunting to know when to take the sling off....grin

maddog
Posted By: ingwe Re: Good sling for safari rifle? - 01/14/11
maddog: FWIW in a lot of DG hunting you wont be using a sling, you carry the rifle in your hands..your PH will tell you why...

I hunted africa and quite honestly don't remember if I used a sling or not. Chances are that I had a butler creek on my .300WM when I hunted plainsgame, but I certainly never removed it. Primarily I tend to hold my rifle in my hand at my side or put it over my shoulder, rarely actually use the sling but it certainly helps when you're walking sun-up to sun-down. Especially when you have a long trek and you know there's no chance of needing your gun quickly. If I were hunting DG, I might consider not having a sling, otherwise, I've never really given it any thought as to what issues having a sling might cause.

If the sling gets in the way, then my thoughts are that you have the wrong sling. Or if the PH forbids slings, it's because the client isn't smart enough to know when he needs his gun ready, versus hanging on his shoulder. Just my thoughts.
I used a Butler creek comfort stretch sling when I was in RSA, it worked great and I didn't miss animals because I wasn't ready. We spent a fair bit of time climbing small mountains and without a sling it woul have been quite difficult.

take a pill and go to bed! Jesus H Christ, I asked a question, and ya went ballistic! If that's all ya got to offer, blow it out yer azz!

maddog

i should have sugarcoated it shouldn't i? my apologies for the way i said it, i lay of the coffee and energy drinks for a while.
Originally Posted by ingwe
maddog: FWIW in a lot of DG hunting you wont be using a sling, you carry the rifle in your hands..your PH will tell you why...

So you're sayin I should practice my Craig Boddington carry? grin

maddog
Posted By: Mouse Re: Good sling for safari rifle? - 01/14/11
If you need a sling, and I wouldn't know why not, try.

Trader Keith's

Mouse
Posted By: ingwe Re: Good sling for safari rifle? - 01/14/11

maddog

Yeah...and its lighter without the Bubba-Buddy....

I'm just sayin..... whistle
laugh laugh laugh

maddog
Yeah...and its lighter without the Bubba-Buddy....

I'm just sayin..... whistle

??
inside joke between me and Ingwe.....nylon cartridge butt cuff on the stock. wink

maddog
If they weren't made to have a sling why would they have sling swivels?
On my one and only trip so far, I took a Mountain Sling. It's very light, doesn't slip and can be used as a quick support when shooting. I use one quite a bit hunting here in the states. For me a sling is more than a carry strap. I hunted Namibia, part of the time, in the northcentral area. We climbed a bunch of kopjes. I needed both hands to climb. The sling was handy. We also did quite a bit of walking around and glassing. It was handy here as well. But it's what you want that matters.
Bfly
I'll throw in my two cents smile When I was doing a lot of wet weather bear hunts, I had one of those quick adjusting synthetic super type slings that worked well with the exception that the material would slip off my shoulder under certain conditions. I corrected this by using Aquaseal neoprene glue. Aquaseal adheres and leaves a durable thin self-leveling coating on the synthetic material. I coated the section of sling that made direct contact to my shoulder and it completely eliminated any slipage making for a very comfortable sling.

With that said, I switched to the 1" Montana sling on my hunting rifles and no longer use anything else. The slings are very light, something like 5-ounces, and they are 10,000% better than synthetics, even when completely soaked. The Montana sling is brilliant in its simplicity.

Best smile
While I think that I took my Brownells Latigo sling with me, I never used it. While practicing at the range with shooting sticks, I felt that the sling was a complete PITA when it came to getting on the sticks quickly. Also, the brush in the Limpopo area we hunted, was too thick to have a sling dangling from the rifle.

Jeff
maddog,
My hunting partner put me onto an unusual synthetic black sling from www.sloganoutdoors.com. I intend to have it on my Ruger in early Aug. in ZIM.
Brittman
Posted By: jpb Re: Good sling for safari rifle? - 01/15/11

maddog

That must involve carrying the rifle so that the brand name is always visible... wink

John
Murray Custom Leather slings work for me. For me it was no problem when hunting DG, in fact I was GlAD I had it after hours and hours... and hours! of tracking buffalo with an 11lb rifle and when the time came to whack a buffalo, it just came off my shoulder on to the twin sticks and boom, dead buffalo. jorge

buff kill
Posted By: RAC Re: Good sling for safari rifle? - 01/16/11
I will gives another thumbs up for Murry Custom Leather slings.
http://www.murraycustomleather.com/slings.htm

They come in 2 colors-black or brown. I like the brown slings best as the color doesn't clash with my brown eyes and safari ensemble.
Originally Posted by RAC

I like the brown slings best as the color doesn't clash with my brown eyes and safari ensemble.

laugh laugh laugh

maddog

It's obvious.....

Safari sling.

Just bein' silly laugh
I second the Slogan Outdoors slings. They do everything you want, but they are not leather. Great product.
Posted By: GDOG Re: Good sling for safari rifle? - 02/06/11
I second the canvas traderkeith recommendation--great stuff. Its a little wider and lighter than my favorite leather (dick murray) sling. For 5 or 10 mile stalks you'll be glad to have it!

PS. I think the cobra slings look like crap...IMHO.

-GDOG
Used a Brownell's Latigo 1 1/4" leather sling with QD swivels in Zim in 2008 after elephant. When in the thick stuff removed it but otherwise used it for carrying the rifle. Never had any problems and it added ~8 oz. for recoil mitigation. Beats carrying the rifle in the hand mile after mile. Most of southern Africa is dry during the usual hunting season, so leather is not a problem.
Originally Posted by Mouse

Trader Keith's

I've got one for my double and it's a great sling. Might have to get another for my 416 as well.
Originally Posted by Mouse

Trader Keith's

Mouse

I don't remember if they came from Trader Keith, But this style of canvas/leather sling is what I use. I like it so I haven't tried the others.
Personally, I like the Latigo sling from Brownells.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Cheers!
-Bob F.
Boyd's makes some nice slings. Montana makes a pretty nice one too.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Good sling for safari rifle? - 02/26/11
When was the last time you were on Safari?... you moose twit....
never been on an african safari, but my favorite sling of all time is the quake claw sling..it fits secure on your hunting clothing and doesnt slide around...so if i were to go to africa that would be the sling id use
© 24hourcampfire