Home
Posted By: trouthunterdj How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/23/11
My hunting partner shot his Gemsbok in New Mexico and bought over a loin. I am planning on grilling a couple steaks tomoorow for my son and I. Any recommendations would be great. Do you marinade the steaks and if so, how?

Thanks,

ddj
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/23/11
No experience with Gemsbok, but I would try wrapping in bacon and cook like any lean filet mignon
Posted By: medicman Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/23/11
Do not overcook. It is lean so eat it rare. I wish I had friends like you

Randy
Posted By: M3taco Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/23/11
My PH and his wife in Namibia cut it into 1/2" thick slices and marinate it in a little olive oil, vinegar, garlic and fine chopped onion for about 24 hrs. Then on an outdoor fire he sears the slices on a VERY hot grill just to sear it. He does it outside because the olive oil will flare up pretty high. Once seared they place the slices in a warm dutch oven next to the fire just to keep them warm an "rest" a few minutes before eating.

They are medium rare to medium, very lean and very tender. Just don't over cook it.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/23/11
Thanks for the help!

I have it in a marinade of olive oil, light dry rub and garlic now. I will let you know how it turns out.

ddj
Posted By: ingwe Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/23/11
That sounds good...like these other guys said...don't overcook it...I like it closer to rare..one of my favorite meats.Remember, like any steak, it will continue to cook inside after you've taken it off the grill, so take it off when you think it isnt quite ready...

It is some Goooooooood stuff!
lucky.
that is the best game i've eaten. it's hard to go wrong with a little sea salt, fresh ground pepper and a very short time on the grill.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/23/11
Treat it just like elk. It can be fantastic meat! shocked

Make saltimbocca with it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

...and serve with rosemary-roasted red potatoes.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/24/11
Thanks guys! It was spectacular. I found another reason to head to Africa...like I needed another excuse.

ddj
luv2safari, that is an awesome stove.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/24/11
Thanks for the wine recommendation. I agreed with a nice Cabernet. Perfect!

ddj
Posted By: luv2safari Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/24/11
I love the old stove. It is a 1906 Ideal from San Francisco. It sits so low like the old stoves do, that I had to build a platform for it. It didn't take long to learn to judge temperatures in the oven by looking at the flame. wink

No "set it, and forget it" feature. grin
Posted By: Slider1 Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/24/11
The only way to cook it is on a Braai.
Posted By: LT_DAN Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/24/11
Originally Posted by Slider1
The only way to cook it is on a Braai.

there it is. put the venison overnight in red wine and unflavored yogurt, when you are done with the braai serve the meat with a dash of sour cream
Posted By: woodsie Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/24/11
Thanks for the tips, and keep them coming. I have a whole Oryx/gemsbok coming back (butchered of course) from my trip to New Mexico.
Cant wait to eat it.
W.:)
Woodsie, where are the pictures from your hunt?
Posted By: 1234567 Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/24/11
luv2safari:

Could you post the recipe for the rosemary roasted potatoes?
Posted By: medicman Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/24/11
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
My hunting partner shot his Gemsbok in New Mexico and bought over a loin. I am planning on grilling a couple steaks tomoorow for my son and I. Any recommendations would be great. Do you marinade the steaks and if so, how?

Thanks,

ddj

Do you know where he hunted and what the cost?

PM me if it is better for him at [email protected]

Thanks
Randy
Posted By: luv2safari Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/24/11
They're easy...

Quarter red potatoes and sprinkle with olive oil and mix around. Salt & pepper to taste. I sprinkle a little garlic and onion powder on them...very little...so do it to your taste, then sprinkle with fresh rosemary if you have it or dried...the fresh goes Much farther...

I spread them in a shallow roasting pan and roast until just starting to brown and get crusty in a medium hot oven. In my oven the setting is "flame about to turn from all blue to yellow at the tips". wink
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/25/11
Here is the report of his hunt.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID34/3023.html

ddj
Posted By: LT_DAN Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/25/11
Originally Posted by woodsie
Thanks for the tips, and keep them coming. I have a whole Oryx/gemsbok coming back (butchered of course) from my trip to New Mexico.
Cant wait to eat it.

with so much meat, have you thought of making biltong?
Posted By: luv2safari Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/26/11
That is a great bull anywhere. cool
Posted By: huntsonora Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/26/11
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj

Fantastic bull!!!! That mass is awesome
Posted By: timmy0283 Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/26/11
Nice bull! Those that said not to overcook are 100% correct. Medium rare would be about ideal, if you don't like M. rare, Medium would be pretty good. I just had the last of my Oryx last weekend. frown
Posted By: akjeff Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/26/11
Originally Posted by LT_DAN
Cant wait to eat it.

Dan,

How about a biltong recipe? When our PH met us at OR Tambo, he handed me a piece of sable biltong......damn that was good!

Jeff
Posted By: pinotguy Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/26/11
Whilst in Namibia, I was treated to the equivalent of a "Rocky Mountain Oyster", from the Gemsbok I had taken earlier in the day. I didn't inquire as to the exact preparation but it was breaded and heavily seasoned. Pretty good and, along with an ice-cold Windhoek Lager, only added to the overall experience.
Posted By: woodsie Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/26/11
Heres March's top Bull.
37"
W.
[Linked Image]

Great trophy Woodsie. The Richard and Steve are great.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/28/11
Woodsie,

Beautiful Bull!

ddj
Posted By: jstevens Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/30/11
I had some in Namibia that was cut in strips and smoked and was really good in a sandwich and some cheese.
Posted By: badger Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/30/11
Originally Posted by akjeff
Originally Posted by LT_DAN
Cant wait to eat it.

Dan,

How about a biltong recipe? When our PH met us at OR Tambo, he handed me a piece of sable biltong......damn that was good!

Jeff

http://www.biltongmakers.com/biltong06a_recipes_biltong.html
Posted By: LT_DAN Re: How to cook Gemsbok? - 03/31/11
Gemsbok, is such quality meat, making good biltong of it is easy.

check out the site badger suggested. also keep in mind that where an how you dry your biltong is just as important as the choice of venison and recipe
© 24hourcampfire